hs starter rope broke

GoldenMotor.com

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
Got a Christmas present. The rope on my pull starter broke.
I took it apart the spring flue out now I can`t put it together.
I was hoping some one here can help.:-||

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
I DID IT WITH MY BARE HANDS! It was tuff! And, it is a little dangerous if it gets away from you.
The important things when changing a rope are:
As you have learned, DON'T let that snake out of it"s hole in the first place!
Wiggle and lift the spool very gently to remove it only. The spring stays put. Never to be touched, as it is DANGERIOUS to let it fly uncontrolled.
AND, replace the rope with the highest quality! Stihl Chain saw rope may be the best. DO NOT use cheap fly-by-night rope as comes on these things.
Make sure the little tittie on the spool is in the little loop on the end of the spring when you put it back together.
Good luck.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I'm on my 3rd pull starter on my HS. The springs on the first 2 broke. I always keep a spare on hand. I took one apart & reassembled it but it wasn't easy.
Jay

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did the rope actually snap, or did the knot pull through the pull starter grip? It's a lot less headache puchasing a new pullstart assembly than trying to fix one that's exploded on you. Just trying to make things easier on you. Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

We always tie an extra knot in the rope where it connects to the handle. Most rope starters can be rewound, but takes patience. If the end of the spring [where the spring attaches to the main body] is snapped or bent it can be reformed [bent]to fit in the groove. Both ends of the spring are tempered, and if the spring is broken the end, when reformed [bent]should be re-tempered. A simple propane tourch will easily replace the temper.

If the end of the spring is broken or the rope snapped, then the rope starter can be fixed, if any part of the internal plastic mechanism is broken then replacement is necessary.

It is important to note the Honda rope starter isn't any better than the HS version, as the only rope starter that I have had to rework on factory test bikes was on one of the Honda motors, not the HS.

Might be a good idea to put a 5 MM wrench and a length of rope in a tool kit. The rope starter can be removed, and a piece of rope can be wound around the metal housing on the flywheel to pull start the motor if needed.

We do stock the rope starter if needed.

Have fun,

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
IF you have a picture of the pull start to post here it would be easier as I have never done one of these but have done literally thousands of all different manufacturers.

As stated a recoil spring can be dangerous so make sure to wear safety glasses when trying to re-tension it.

If the spring is completely out of the recoil assembly first give it a good cleaning so it isn't slippery.

Then begin by recoiling it in a larger version of itself and keep tightening it from the outer end to where it will fit in the housing.

Once it is small enough then place it on a flat surface while holding the tension and then you can pick it up by the coils with a pair of large needle nose pliers and reinsert it back into the starter housing and put the rope carrier back in to position.

If it is made like some earlier Briggs and some Tecumseh springs and has the retainer notch on the outside of the case then you can simply wind the spring back into the housing without re-tensioning it first.

From there simply wind the spring by the rope housing in the proper direction till it bottoms out and reverse it 1 turn so not to break the spring.

Insert the rope through the outlet grommet into the carrier and affix it with a secure knot and allow the recoil to pull the string back onto its carrier.

It is a good idea to either have the handle on first or at lease a looped knot in the end so the recoil doesn't spin all the way through and you have to start all over.

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Now put the spring and spool back in then put the bolt on then wind up the spool thus winding up the spring then hold it in place with needle nose vice grips but not too strong of a grip cause you will break the plastic!!!
make sure the new rope is longer than what u need . Then tie knot and thread through the inside spool end then through the hole if the starter . pull it right through till the knot tightens up on the spool.

then release the vice grips and the spring will unwind and at the same time wind up the new rope on the spool then pull on the rope till you feel tension on the spring then pull some more about 2 inches then lock vice grips one the rope right at the starter hole so it does not slip back when you tie the knot at the handle end

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
If this happens again, I would go with a Honda replacement. Better quality rope, larger spring and better anchor. You can just look at em and see the difference and the Honda having a larger spring, weighs more.

But either will give you lots of service. Trick is not walking up and yanking on them. From the HF manual;

"Grasp the Starter Handle and
pull slowly until resistance is felt.
While holding the Handle, allow the
Starter Rope to rewind slowly. Then,
pull the Starter Handle with a rapid,
full arm stroke. Repeat as necessary,
until the Engine starts."

The first pull in the morning, I always go a full engine revolution but most folks think that is unnecessary. I start my MB many times a day and they really weren't meant for that but hold up well with a lil kindness.

Going up to 39F today, yehaa! Got the day off and a long ride planned!

.flg.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
That is good advice Dan!!!! Also, I might add, one should not pull the rope to the end cause it's easy to break the spring that way. Before I start mine, I pull the rope super slow to turn the motor over about 10 times to lube the cylinder wall.
It,s 1.4 far. this morning and I,ll be startin mine also. In temp like this I always keep the gas tank full to avoid condensation that causes water vapour freez up.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, uber cool. thanks Blackenstein. I had not known about the full tank and condensation. Makes sense. I have a weep hole in my pipe and leaves a puddle when warming up. That can't be a good thing. Is that the cause? Condensation in the fuel? Am sure a lot is just the hot pipe it self but is a good bit of water more then in warmer weather. Will try and report.

I forget where, but we were talking about doing a thread on winter motorized bicycle riding. Stuff like that is great to know.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
You'e welcome Dan That discusion was at the " what did u do to your motor today "thread
Sounds like condensation in the pipe. Gas lines up here in cars freeze up alot cause of condensation in the tanks . Motorists are warned to keep the tank topped up at all times to help prevent this.-gasline antifreeze is also used but I cannot use it cause of the methyl alcohol will ruin the rubber oneway valves and primming bulb in my carb.
One time I found the complete gas line of a skidoo to be frozen solid cause it had sat for a couple of winters and summers without being run and that caused condensation.

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
Thanks for the good info.Blakenstein.your method worked.
I should have read Dan’s before I fixed it. I started it a couple of
Times then s%@&. The spring were it fits to the center
Bent. This time ill try re temper it but I won`t trust without
Carrying a piece of rope and a wrench to get me home in case happens again
Thanks guys you been a lot of help

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This morning before starting, tried turning over engine think 4 or 5 times. Any way, started smooth as butter. Making that part of morning start-ups. I thought I was being overly cautious with the one full turn. Amazing. Ya learn so much here

Not kidding, I got the ketchup threw to them kids. (delivered a case to a school) Wonder if I still get .50 cents per mile tax credit?

2funny and I am gonna try it;

2010 Tax Law Changes
"For miles driven for business use between January 1st and December 31st of 2010, the IRS provides a standard mileage rate of 50 cents per mile, a decrease of 5 cents per mile from 2009. If you used your car to get medical care or to move in 2010, you can deduct 16.5 cents per mile, a decrease of 8 cents per mile."

Sorry about the OT Cigron. In my defense, my brain is all up froze up cold.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Thanks for the good info.Blakenstein.your method worked.
I should have read Dan’s before I fixed it. I started it a couple of
Times then s%@&. The spring were it fits to the center
Bent. This time ill try re temper it but I won`t trust without
Carrying a piece of rope and a wrench to get me home in case happens again
Thanks guys you been a lot of help
Your're welcome - I'm glad that I could be some help. I've replaced my spring with one from a Stihll chain saw and have 2 brand new ones on stand by. I have 35cc and 48cc Bridgestone motors -the starters are the same size. I just went in and asked for a recoil spring for 35cc Sthill . I figured that a 35cc recoil spring would fit in any 35cc. and WOW what a difference that made. Up here they are only 10 bucks apeice.

Hey Dan!!! glad to here -runnin good- one turn not enough for me ha ha ha ha I figure it's better to be an out-patient than to be an inpatient ha ha.
Maybe I'll go out soon and start mine-the temp is -20celcius 4below far. but.........in acouple of days it's gonna be -2 celcius 28 far. WOW!!!! and warm till Jan 12 2011 ...that sure takes a load off all the homeless people and animals and thats what I feel good about.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"I figure it's better to be an out-patient than to be an inpatient ha ha." Har, LOL! Ayup

Know what ya mean about folks and critters out in this weather. Sad for sure.

That is awesome about the spring costs. Be cool to find one for the HSs. Comes up a lot. Be pretty simple to beef up the anchor a bit.

Woke up wondering about how condensation would go threw the engine, lol. Think it would vaporise then return to a fluid state in the pipe? Really had never gave it much mind as I've so lil to spare. But was wondering why the weep hole puddle was getting so large. The reason for the weep hole was I have a rubber muffler (yep, sure do an' it works great!) and had tilted it upward just slightly. (Sounds really cool and make lil kids giggle)

Quoted ya on the snork thread. Cracked me up. Is true and more importantly, funny.
http://motorbicycling.com/f28/snork-5918-28.html#post245002

Last edited: