Antique Worksman Delivery

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It isn't often you see an early version of a Worksman bike, but there is one listed on Ebay this morning (Sept. 25,2010) which is interesting. I have no idea when this was made, but found the sidecar delivery platform of great interest and worth studying. I did screen captures with Gadwin Printscreen (a great freeware utility) and then ran them through Picasa to crop and resize. I want to be sure these photos end up archived somewhere, so took the time and trouble to do so.
The auction originates in Orlando, Florida and the buy it now is $350.00 with an opening bid of $150.00.

The seller includes the following:
This bike has all the original parts. It was repainted at some time and has surface rust throughout. The 2 tires on the main bike are in o.k. condition, but the 1 tire on the cart side is dry rotted out and would need replacement. Overall the bike would need restoration.

If you are looking for a restoration project or a piece of history to just have for display, this is the bike for you.

Please contact me if you have any questions or would like any other photos.

Buyer to pay for packing and shipping cost, which is to be determined after sale.

Thank you and good luck bidding.

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I don't know that nothing has been replaced along the way as the rear fender looks suspiciously better than the others, but still. I noticed that all the wheels have spoke guards on them. The sidecar attachments look sturdy as far as I can tell. Pretty cool. Thought I'd share a little history...
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Terry,
A year ago I tried to contact Worksman to find out if there was a database for serial numbers and how to interpret them. I tried multiple times by email and never got a response. My own Worksman was not all that old, so I let it go. For a company who like to talk about how long they have been around and their proud heritage, there is little information about that heritage available to the public. At least nothing I found with google searches. No doubt there are framed photos on the walls there and piles of dusty old documents and advertisements. Or maybe not. Maybe they toss all that and are just focused on selling bikes. I think they could do a lot for themselves with better public relations and sharing information. They seem to be in some kind of time warp cocoon in spite of having a stick on headbadge now with a www. on it. Can't believe they would do that with a bike of such heritage. Somebody isn't thinking. If ever there was a bike asking for a really great old time looking head badge in brass, that's the bike. No, it is now glued on. Mine wasn't even straight and the decal on the seat post wasn't straight either. I don't think they care and I doubt they would do anything with photos I send them if I sent them, which I won't be doing. I sent them to people I do know will care... you guys.
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I could be entirely wrong, I dunno Worksman bikes or even vintage beyond the ones I own... but I don't think that bike is nearly as old as it appears. It's still a groovy bike to be sure and the price is reasonable, but unless I miss my guess that "piece of history" isn't all that long ago.

It's defo a sweet find tho ;)

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Man , I'm in Orlando so there would be no shipping and there really doesn't look like it would take much to restore it, and it could be motorized without any real permanent modifications , and I have $300 runaway money in my wallet, and it would be the crowning gem to my collection as well as a perfect grocery getter, and bike week is coming up soon enough

That piece of angle that is holding what looks like a parking brake also looks out of place

Would it be feasible to use a jackshaft on it to avoid cutting the fender back for left side drive chain clearance?

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I just sent the seller a question about the placard, if the answer is what I want I'm gonna buy it if no one else gets it first

maybe we can make this a community suggestion project

It would be perfect for my other little business venture, selling retro cigar box guitars at antique and car shows

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Man , I'm in Orlando so there would be no shipping and there really doesn't look like it would take much to restore it, and it could be motorized without any real permanent modifications , and I have $300 runaway money in my wallet, and it would be the crowning gem to my collection as well as a perfect grocery getter, and bike week is coming up soon enough

That piece of angle that is holding what looks like a parking brake also looks out of place

Would it be feasible to use a jackshaft on it to avoid cutting the fender back for left side drive chain clearance?
I kind of hope you buy it so that I can follow along on a build thread. A HT motor will fit as can be seen in my avatar above. but it is a tight fit. I can't answer your question about the jackshaft, but cutting the fender wouldn't be the end of the world and who's to know what's original and what isn't and does anyone really care? It's a cool bike and with some loving care it could be outstanding! Oh, give yourself a treat. You know you deserve it. You work hard, so why shouldn't you have some rewards in life? Buy It Now! (I'm bad, I know)
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just sent the seller a question about the placard, if the answer is what I want I'm gonna buy it if no one else gets it first

maybe we can make this a community suggestion project

It would be perfect for my other little business venture, selling retro cigar box guitars at antique and car shows
Sounds like a winner to me. It will get attention for sure and increase your sales. I know that the bike with canoe sidecar in my avatar is a show stopper. I planned it that way to get attention for my little bike business. I can help advise you on the engine install. Buy it , buy it, buy it...
SB

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Here's my only other concern

How is that placard attached

If it is welded solid it would be almost impossible to stick a motor in there

If not I could cut it back a little, or have a friend duplicate it
There is a line in the side that would make a good cut off point and then maybe I would notch it out like the old old Harley's

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Give me some advice

Should I buy now or just bid

I think there is a good chance this thing will go full price and just in parts it's worth close to that even if it was made last year

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Here's my only other concern

How is that placard attached

If it is welded solid it would be almost impossible to stick a motor in there

If not I could cut it back a little, or have a friend duplicate it
There is a line in the side that would make a good cut off point and then maybe I would notch it out like the old old Harley's
I would guess it is tack welded in which case it is no big deal.. I can't imagine their running a continual bead for something which is not structural. With luck it may not even use tack welds. I removed a chain guard mount welded to the frame on mine with the dremel cut off wheel. Not a big deal. Tack welds would come off pretty easily and smooth out with a grinder.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Crank and pedals are newer, too. Not that it matters other than to point out the seller either doesn't know or is fibbing a bit on the parts being original. It is still a cool bike. I looked at the placard again and it looks barely attached. I doubt very much it is welded.
SB

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
OK
It is attached with rivets

I just committed to buy it
Waiting on the seller to contact me with pick up info

This is going to be fun, but not nearly as much fun as telling my wife I just bought my third bike this week after telling her that I was finally done buying

I still have about 6 that are waiting to get built

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
OK
It is attached with rivets

I just committed to buy it
Waiting on the seller to contact me with pick up info

This is going to be fun, but not nearly as much fun as telling my wife I just bought my third bike this week after telling her that I was finally done buying

I still have about 6 that are waiting to get built

On the first count, good for you. I look forward to your sharing with us the Worksman adventure. On the second count, well, good luck. I no longer have that problem having been married and divorced three times. I have now found the perfect woman. Granted she's short and has a lot of hair all over her body, but she's a good listener, loves riding in the bike trailer and doesn't bark much.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Having restored antiques most of my life I'd go out on a limb and say this one is a ringer. Someone made what they thought an old delivery bike should look like.
Joabthebugman you hit a home run at that price in my books. They did the dirty work and put it together and now you can make it perfect.

I envy you the challenge and the chance to build it. I however don't envy you having to explain to your wife what happened. You Sir, are a very brave man.

Steve.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
After looking at it a little closer it is obviously a cluge
In the gun trade we call them Khyber Pass replicas

The pedals are obviously post 70's, the chain ring should be skip tooth I think, the two bike wheels are of newer design and the tires are also newer, the bike fenders are chrome where the side car fender is obviously old

I think someone found or made the side car and attached it to a bike and called it an antique

That and the fact that the seller seems to specialize in selling those new vintage signs as antique are what we call clues

However, it is a workman and I can find no other example of a bike like that
So it score points in originality and attention getting

With the PIG Co logo on it it should be a head turner and possibly lead people to my guitar booth
(Primitive Innovations Guitar Co)

I think you are right on paying a little extra for someone elses work and innovation

But here's the coolest thing
I don't think that that is a platform for delivery packages
If you look close it looks like it has a hand and foot rail
Just wait till I pick her up from work with it

Then either she will change her mind mind or I will take SB's lead and fix it so that my dog Dozer can sit in it

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
If that doesn't have them running to your both nothing short of free adult beverages will. I think you will find that the panel on the bike are aluminun and have gone dull with age Though someone may have robbed them off an old bike.
I'm thinking it was built in the 60s-70s when there was a lot of interest in things like that and it may have sat outside a store as advertising.

Like Silver Bear, I too have been married 3 times and one thing I took away from that is your young lady may desire a comfortable seat to place herself upon. Seems they fail to appreciate the joys of bumping along on boards.
Dozer on the other hand may not be as picky about the placement.
Did you notice the padded seat on the rear rack.

Would it be possible to get a photo of your guitars?

Steve.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Actually the wife is from Vietnam and this thing is not all that different from some of the transport we have ridden on over there, I actually broke a tooth when one I was riding on hit a small pothole
She is my third and the neat thing is she complains in Viet and I have learned to tune that sound out completely

here's a few guitars that I have sold recently

They're cigar box guitars that started in the 1860 and were used by the original bluesmen in the 1930's
Hendrix, Roy Clark and Bo Diddly started on one
Bo Diddly took his name from them, there is also a version called a diddly bo's

Also have Canjoes for the kiddies

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have a very strong suspicion that we're looking at a custom job, not a recent one perhaps, but not that long ago either.
The left wheel has a hub (kick?) stand, trikes don't need those. That section of angle iron the "parking brake" attaches to, and the layout of the sidewheel attachment makes me wonder if this bike came this way.