Sprockets *How Many Teeth*??

GoldenMotor.com

longhorn6

Sep 2, 2009
Richardson, TX
I recently put a 36 tooth sprocket on my MB. I got the 36 tooth because i heard its better?? But then my brother said the bigger the sprocket the faster it is? Does smaller amount of teeth mean more acceleration or something? Whats better Bigger/More teeth OR Smaller/less teeth? Will a 36 tooth sprocket make me less faster? Thanks, Longhorn6

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Larger rear sprocket =slower top speed/faster acceleration/pulls more weight/goes up hills better
smaller rear sprocket =Higher top speed/med acceleration/pulls less weight/goes up hills slower

my stock 44t sprocket takes off fast and tops out around 30mph or so and can go up hills good.
a 36t sprocket should give you a higher top speed and lower rpms out of your engine which will make your engine work less and it will make less noise,but will take off slower than with the larger one.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A smaller rear sprocket is a larger gear
while a smaller front sprocket is a smaller gear
a larger gear means a faster speed but less accelleration getting there
while a smaller gear bogs down less on hills

So there's no set answers- it's all dependent on the total weight it's pulling, the motor's (or riders) power, and the conditions of hilly or flat, smooth or rough

I have a 36 which works pretty well with smooth narrow tires, but I usually give it a little pedal assist when taking off, and it will bog down slightly on a steep very long hill-

I have no problems on the flat- I just got a kit that packed a 41, so I think the trend is going generally a bit smaller than 44.

Big wheels keep on turning!

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I recently put a 36 tooth sprocket on my MB. I got the 36 tooth because i heard its better?? But then my brother said the bigger the sprocket the faster it is? Does smaller amount of teeth mean more acceleration or something? Whats better Bigger/More teeth OR Smaller/less teeth? Will a 36 tooth sprocket make me less faster? Thanks, Longhorn6
Longhorn,

You'll hear a lot of things...

I get many calls daily for advice on sprocket sizes.

A 40T sprocket is an excellent all-around size for a 26" bike with the Chinese In-frame engine.

I have made sprockets from 28T for the 2-cycle, up to 64T for the 4-cycle guys.

There are the guys who like to hill climb and weigh 200 lbs+ There are the 140 lb- guys who want to see how fast they can go.

Some of these engines are more powerful than others...final drive sprocket selection is part of the tuning process, and not an arbitrary number that can be pulled from a magicians hat. With this said: "Whats better Bigger/More teeth OR Smaller/less teeth?" is a loaded question...there are a number of factors that must be considered in order to arrive at the ideal final ratio.

In general, a larger rear sprocket will offer greater acceleration and a lower top speed...A smaller rear sprocket may give you a higher top speed, (If the engine has enough power to do it), and will definitely result in decreased acceleration.

In this respect our MB's are no different than motorcycles.

Jim

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
What size sprocket are any of us with 20" rear wheels running? I had a 44T on my Schwinn OCC. Great acceleration and torque, and winding out at 25 MPH. I replaced the 44T with a 36T and have not tested it yet. I like the overall performance of a 44T on my other bike with a 26" wheel. I want to match that performance with the 36T on my 20".

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I run a 36t on 26x2.2 Maxxis Holy Rollers. Good top end but low acceleration, pedal asisst a little. I believe like others a 40t, maybe a 38t would be nice for all around performance.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
What size sprocket are any of us with 20" rear wheels running? I had a 44T on my Schwinn OCC. Great acceleration and torque, and winding out at 25 MPH. I replaced the 44T with a 36T and have not tested it yet. I like the overall performance of a 44T on my other bike with a 26" wheel. I want to match that performance with the 36T on my 20".
Using a large vernier caliper, I measured the "20" Occ to be 21 1/2" in diameter. If yours is the same , a 36T will give you nearly the exact same result as a 44T on a 26".

I've measured a lot of wheels with calipers. I've noticed that the wider the tire, the less accurate the diameter...(they are always larger in diameter than stated).

I have an Electra at the shop with Fatti-O tires sized 24 X 3.0...they actually measure 25 3/4".

The Schwinn Jaguar has 26 X 2.125 tires...they measure 26 1/4" in diameter.

Jim

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Contrary to urban myth a smaller rear sprocket will not always give faster top speed. When I put a 32t on one of my bikes top speed actually went down. It rides much smoother at cruise though.

IMO 36t-40t is optimum for a modern 2 stroke on a 26".

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi,

For Torque and low speed use go with a larger rear sprocket.

For Speed and fewer engine RPMs while cruising go with a smaller rear sprocket....

Got Torque? The first pic shows a stock 44T sprocket in comparison to our 80T Super Sprocket.

The second pic shows our 80T sprocket on the bottom, a stock 44T next, and on top is our
anodized 36T super Sprocket.

We can make sprockets from 17 T (direct to disc hub mount) to 80+ T for slow speed high torque use. (our most popular seller is the 34T Super Sprocket).

Andrew

PS - FYI - The 80 T sprocket is about 13" in diameter!

Sorry about the lo res pics....the orig pics were too large to upload....

Attachments

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
wow.. my question is how fast can you go on that 80 tooth, and what grade hill can it get ya up w/o standing on pedals to assist? Grand Rapids is partially built on a 500 year flood plane with the east side of the city perched on a 45 degree incline.. A lot of my prospective buyers of my builds shy away b/c they want to know the bike will make it up those hills without stalling out..

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi Momentumtummotorgroup,

Generally a stock center mount Chinese engine will go about 28 MPH (give or take a little) with the stock 44T on a 26" wheel.

Given that the 80T is about 55% larger than the stock sprocket the top speed should be reduced about the same percentage....that would figure out to about 14.85 MPH give or take a little depending on how high you want to rev the engine (remember tho cruise RPM should be somewhat below max rpm because I doubt any engine would live very long when operated at redline all the time)....

I would think that that sprocket should be able to climb some pretty insane hills without pedaling....

The buyer of the sprocket said he wanted to ride tight trails in the woods and across bumpy fields so top end wasn't really big concern. His primary interest was slow speed operation.....As an interesting aside, we could have gone larger than 80 T but it did turn out he did want some speed!

In answer to your question concerning max speed with the average rider weight of 200 lbs I think max speed with the 80 T sprocket would be about 15 MPH....you would be RPM limited rather than power limited since the bike would be geared so low.

Andrew

madmike13

Jun 27, 2012
atlanta
I'm about to put together my first OCC bike, I'm gonna try a 30T sprocket from sick bike parts. I'll let you know how that works

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Ill be watching this one with anticipation mad mike. I got a 30 tooth from kings sales I've yet to try. What motor are you using. I have the huasheng 49cc 4 stroke with 24" wheels. I had the "chainlink" schwinn stingray and it definitely needed a motor!

madmike13

Jun 27, 2012
atlanta
I just ordered the skyhawk 80cc. I will probably mount the stock 44T that comes with the kit and see how it feels first. But from what I've read, I will likely switch to something between 30 and 36 to get the desired performance.