My Briggs Powered Bike

GoldenMotor.com

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Hello everyone. I decided to post a thread of my motorized bike I'm currently building.

It was a Schwinn girls bike and now its an almost usable awesome motorized bike! Like I said, it was a standard girls bike, I cut out the top bar, used a piece of the top bar and stretched the bottom bar 7" (Approximately) and then made a nice curve top bar with a piece of scrap pipe (Beating it against the ground) and then making the motor mounts! Top bar should have a bit more of a curve, but I don't feel like cutting it out and trying again. The motor I'm using is a 3 Hp Briggs and Stratton engine I got a few months ago. It was seized, but I was able to bring it back from the dead and it works better than ever! I still don't know about the final drive. I know there is going to be a jackshaft and clutch but I don't know about the final drive.

Girls bike before...

This is how far it is now.

I will get more pictures as the project goes on.
Mark-

usflg

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Yes, going to add front brakes and rear brakes (calipers). I also have a new rear wheel with a really nice rebuild coaster brake. Should be enough stopping power.

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin

These are the 2 ideas I have about the final drive system. I already have a clutch so the main drive from the engine to jackshaft will be chain. but I don't know about the drive from the jackshaft to the rear wheel. I either have the idea of using a Whizzer style pulley on the rear wheel and running a belt drive or putting a sprocket on the back like the style that comes with the 2 cycle kits.

I am leaning more towards the final belt drive but also adding a idler pulley go I can "disengage" the belt drive so I can pedal the bike without any added resistance.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Cool. I am likin' your style. I think the belt would be slick. It would look like a mini harley if you make some kind of primary cover. Glad to hear about the brakes. That should be plenty, though I have never experimented with such a large engine.

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Well, I am going to go with the chain/belt drive.

3hp should be enough i hope. Going to do a few mods like porting it and what else I can do you squeeze out a bit of power. I still think that if 3hp can get a go kart going 30mph that it can get a bike to 30 with some throttle to spare
reddd

I can't wait to take this thing up to the cabin when its done and go full out on those open country roads.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
what kind of drive wheel are you planning to use? one like the gebe kit? I'm planning the same thing but like all my usual crap i'm trying to do all of it with stuff i have. Whizzer drive wheels I believe are clamped to the spokes on the left side. the gebe kit has a plastic 17" drive wheel the just pops on the spokes. I had/have a 5hp briggs that i was going to use for this but its a tad big I believe. So now I have a 2 hp briggs. No tin dressed the flywheel with no fins made it alot narrower for peddle clearance.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
id post some pictures but i dont know how to reduce the size

so i just post in motored bike forum instead
my briggs bike

dont know how to resize my pictures and dont care
i find this forum's photo loading bs.
send me your email ill send pictures ect
Well... you could just ask, it's simple enough. You may "not care" but I'll explain it anyway - the reason for the size limitation for uploaded pics is because when they're uploaded as an attachment they're hosted on our server for you, which ofc has limited space.

The primary reason we limit the size is actually the number of people, like you - that "just don't care" to learn some pretty basic aspects of forum use. When you post a un-edited, full size pic like you wanna do (usually a crazy res and 22" wide) everyone that wants to view that thread is forced to download the pics in it - given some of us are still on dial-up, it's courteous to reduce posted pics to about 72 pixels/inch and no more than 8x10".

There are a buncha easy solutions to this that don't involve installing any software or even learning the basics of photo editing... for those that might care, try: Photobucket it's got a buncha really easy and automated features (like resize).

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/how-post-pictures-7572.html

ducatiluke

Jan 20, 2009
los angeles/ south australia
anyway back to the subject

the best drive system to use for a briggs and stratton mower engine is belt then chain
why?

simply because a chain directly on the engine is loud since its turning at high speed so
use a belt at the engine then use chain as final drive

ive tryed them all

christopher fowler

Dec 17, 2009
p a washington
Hello everyone. I decided to post a thread of my motorized bike I'm currently building.

It was a Schwinn girls bike and now its an almost usable awesome motorized bike! Like I said, it was a standard girls bike, I cut out the top bar, used a piece of the top bar and stretched the bottom bar 7" (Approximately) and then made a nice curve top bar with a piece of scrap pipe (Beating it against the ground) and then making the motor mounts! Top bar should have a bit more of a curve, but I don't feel like cutting it out and trying again. The motor I'm using is a 3 Hp Briggs and Stratton engine I got a few months ago. It was seized, but I was able to bring it back from the dead and it works better than ever! I still don't know about the final drive. I know there is going to be a jackshaft and clutch but I don't know about the final drive.

Girls bike before...

This is how far it is now.

I will get more pictures as the project goes on.
Mark-

usflg
its coming together look forward to see more

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Its been Too cold lately for me to do any work on the bike. Hopefully I can start on the jack-shaft and drive system this month.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
after your done with the mock up and building it you can put a jr dragster engine on it lol hey i did it with a 1974 bonanza skeeeeeeeeeeeeery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Today I am going to get some parts for the jackshaft. Going to go with a Chain/Chain drive first. Will most likely end up with a Belt then chain drive as I do have a rear assembly of a torque converter. All I would need then is a belt clutch.

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i do like the belt clutch idea , i want to change mine to a belt , i find the most noise comes from the chain clutch to the jackshaft on mine , it would sound so much better with a nice quiet belt , and a spring loaded chain tentioner on the back .

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
On 2 bikes I used a china kit rear sprocket deal-
bike one- drilled a bike sprocket with the pattern and used the rag joint.
Bike two used the china sprocket with joint (drilled lots of lightening holes in it too) but ground down narrower where the bike chain goes ( used single speed type chain on both, garage door chain on one of them- priced right- free).
Chain drive is REAL critical on good alingment.

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Right now for main building plans its going to have a Chain/Chain drive. I do have a torque converter that will fit right on the jackshaft but I don't have a belt clutch so right now I'm going with the chain clutch.

I'll get pics soon