Clutch Gear Chatter

GoldenMotor.com

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Howdy all,

While cleaning the clutch pads, I noticed the large gear was "floating" (it had more play than I would have expected). I could push it forward and aft or up and down. I think this is where I am getting the chatter. It appears to have all the ball bearings (I could see them a bit and there were no spaces). How much play is normal and who much is too much??

Thanks,
j

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Howdy all,

While cleaning the clutch pads, I noticed the large gear was "floating" (it had more play than I would have expected). I could push it forward and aft or up and down. I think this is where I am getting the chatter. It appears to have all the ball bearings (I could see them a bit and there were no spaces). How much play is normal and who much is too much??

Thanks,
j
J,

No more than .005" radially. Ideally it should be .0002-.0005". It is very important that the gears mesh precisely at the diametral pitch. I have had a dozen or so of these engines apart, and so far only 1 had a really good bearing set.

If your gear is excessively loose, it will best to fix it now before any real damage is done.

Jim

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Just to clarify, the gear is only loose and chattering when the clutch is disengaged. When engaged, it feels nice and tight.

okay, so what is a good fix?

Last edited: