cutting out at high speed and extreme idle when stopped

GoldenMotor.com

sly_wheelz

May 26, 2013
Maine
i have been riding my bike around here and there for a while, took it out today and went like half a mile and when i went to go top speed and i mage it to top speed but than it started cutting out and i stopped and with the clutch in it started idling really high... anyone have a similar problem with any advice?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Sounds like you're WAY too lean...the degradation of performance could be severe overheating. More details please.

sly_wheelz

May 26, 2013
Maine
Well the needle in the carb is set to the second to richest, when i tried it on the richest it just didnt want to ride very powerfully at all, i check the plug almost every day and it always looks appropriate, it may have overheated though, its a possibility i didnt really let it warm up this time, i just started ripping on it.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Is the carb tight on the manifold? An air leak will cause the same problem......whether it be at the carb mount, the manifold to the engine, a loose piston cylinder, loose head bolts, or blown crank seals. These are some simple things to check first.

Good luck!

sly_wheelz

May 26, 2013
Maine
the carb is very snug. i will check out the other things you mentioned... one thing i dont get is seconds later it started right up and let me ride it home up hill, i got it home and let it idle and it seemed fine.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
these things rarely heal by themselves, so I'd guess nothing was wrong - just a bit of crap in the fuel line that went thru

sly_wheelz

May 26, 2013
Maine
okay i think i found the problem, and its a simple one at that... i had already had a hard time with the idle when it would start up sometimes it would rev a little high for a couple seconds and than go to normal... i think the cutting off is somewhere in the fuel filter or maybe that little filter they put on the gas on and off nozzle inside the tank... i was riding it and it did it again and when i looked down there was a huge gap of air right above the carb in the gas line.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Air in the fuel line is perfectly normal. Mine has it and runs perfect. Your problem sounds more like an air leak making the mixture lean.
Look at the intake for leaks where the carb attaches and where the manifold bolts to the engine as well. If no leaks are found, look at the crank seals.
Many threads in here about leaks and how to fix them. Use the search box.

sly_wheelz

May 26, 2013
Maine
Well what i unhooked the fuel line to the carburator and no gas leaked from it at all just little drops, than i removed the fuel line from the top of the fuel filter and gas pissed everywhere, i put a new fuel filter on and it works great, i think when i was at a lower throttle it had time to accumulate and would work but when i really juiced it the fuel wasnt going through the filter well enough to keep up.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That is different. A clogged filter will sure stop you!
I thought you meant you just saw air in the line.
Glad you're rolling again!

sly_wheelz

May 26, 2013
Maine
Thanks man, yeah i go over the bike pretty thoroughly before and after every ride, it just surprised me when i was out in public by the beach cruising along and than it just started shutting down and i looked like a fool, i didnt think it would be the fuel filter because its brand new and when you look at alot of peoples comments about the newer cheaper kits they are always saying how happy and surprised they were to get a nice fuel filter.