Thought criticism of HT bicycle engine chain was unfounded...

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Re: Thought criticism of HT chain was unfounded...

I had issues with links in the kit chain on my first bike, a link snapped on one side, thank god it didnt snap all the way through and do any major damage. I switched it out before it could stretch that far. had my current bike for 2 years now, running the kit supplied chain. havent had any links bend, twist or break, but some of the links are starting to bind. I also shortened my chain to where I dont need a tensioner, so maybe that helped the chain last longer, idk. the chain is like any other part in the kit, including the engine. could be good, could be junk. wont know till you use it awhile. but Im gonna replace my chain at some point. probably buy a few feet at tsc, then I have some extra chain for my shift kit when I get it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I snapped the kit chain the first week, the master link failed, I mended the chain replacing the few damaged links and it snapped again a couple days later. I"m pretty sure it was 410 chain, it was garbage. I got enough #41 chain to outfit two bikes for about $10 bucks, I think I went through amazon if I recall correctly, from AceHardware through Amazon (cause my local ace didn't stock any). I've never had a problem since, this chain is solid and is gonna last. It is wider, but I didn't have any problems with rubbing anywhere at all, I was worried at first but after so much riding I forgot about it and never had to think about the chain again. So it's gonna be #41 chain on all my bikes from now on... That being my opinion, take it for what its worth....
A standard 410 chain is not strong enough. It needs to be at least a 410H.

I got a 41 chain from ACE hardware, http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU=70246. It is an excellent chain at a good price, but definitely wider than a 410, about twice the width.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA

A standard 410 chain is not strong enough. It needs to be at least a 410H.

I got a 41 chain from ACE hardware, http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU=70246. It is an excellent chain at a good price, but definitely wider than a 410, about twice the width.
I have no way of knowing the actual designation on the chain that came with my Grubee kit, all I know is it was thin and weak. The master links were even worse. I run the #41 chain I purchased through AceHardware online without a master link, even though it is wider it runs smoother than the kit chain and is solid as a rock.
This year I tried to run one of the wider engine side sprockets for #41 chain from GasBike, I sheered the woodruff key pretty quick because the slot on the sprocket was about twice as wide as the key (and the slot on the original sprocket). The slop was just too much and the key was bound to fail, IMHO running a sprocket like that is just asking for trouble. I didn't notice any improvement from the wider sprocket so I just put the original back on which has the right size slot for the key. Even though the chain is quite a bit wider than the original chain (and the sprocket) I have never had a problem with chain rub anywhere.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

I think everyone will agree, I for one want to overkill on the chain. I don't want to be flying down thrill hill and have the chain break and lockup the rear wheel, 911 we have an emergency!

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Why does my luck always come with a bit of bad?
WHY!?
Lucky find, went to the local bike shop and asked for a heavy duty KMC 410 BMX chain.
They had a Chromed KMC 415H, yes, that's right a BMX chain 415 size, I got it for about 20 dollars. Nice friggin' chain!
Now, the bad luck, it's short by about 2 links and seeing as a chain is as only as strong as it's weakest link, I do not want to use my spare unused stock chain links with it, so I got to get a couple 415H links of comparable quality, chromed or not, strength is important, not so much the appearance.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Sorry its short, that's why I posted "count the links and have them cut it for you ". Don't ask me why I know that!

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012

It's a pre-packaged chain, not sold by the foot, or link.
If I bought 2 chains from this ebay vendor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110897015483?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
It would cost me 33.40, another chain for my brother, and we will both have spare links at a good price. Doubling up saves on postage.

(I wonder if there is a market for spare links?)

But of course, the bad luck, not chrome, but at least it's a KMC 415H.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

you do realize that you can make the chain short enough to run without the tennsioner, right? I dont run a tensioner on my drive chain, and it works just fine. been running it that way for over a year without trouble. is the chain long enough to go on without the tensioner?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

I have never run anything but the stock chain on any of the bikes I have built. I have never had even the smallest problem with them.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

I think a lot of folks are spoiled by the "modern technology."

You need to know which end of a screwdriver to hang onto and have a little bit of mechanical knowledge to make one run properly.

Even when building a model airplane, you can't just hope that everything in going to be perfect right out of the box. You need a basic knowledge of what make it tick or you are in big trouble.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012

you do realize that you can make the chain short enough to run without the tennsioner, right? I dont run a tensioner on my drive chain, and it works just fine. been running it that way for over a year without trouble. is the chain long enough to go on without the tensioner?
No, I can tell just by looking at it.
Can't wait to put the new chain on, I don't trust this one, when it's off and hung by the end, it's not strait.
I am surprized it does not derail.
I won't use my KMC chain with stock links, I could but won't.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

giving the rest of the parts quality the fact that the stock chain that comes in grubee kits SUCKS should not surprize anyone