24" Friction Drive For Vacation

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I had mentioned this bike in passing in another thread and was asked for some pics and info about it so here it is. I bought a 24" Macargi Rover for my Hongdu/Solex project and liked the size a lot. We go to the Fla panhandle to the beach in a very laid back area. The stores are about a mile away, so figured the Rover to be a great bike to take. Problem was it wouldnt fit easily in my wifes Subaru wagon. Had a friction drive kit laying around from a bike I home built a set up for. This kit uses a Hauseng 31cc 4stroke Honda clone, it has run like a Rolex from day one. A trip to Walmart scored a cheap($79) 24" MTB. Since FDs are easy on bikes cheap doesnt bother me. Turned out the little fella suprised me. This is one of the few bikes I have bought there that I didnt have to true the wheels on and believe it or not there was sufficient grease every where! Had the FD kit installed in less than 30min(had already been set up). A test drive revealed a very nice little bike, smooth, no vibes, top speed wound out on the level on GPS is 24mph. That indicates 8K rpm on the 1" roller. The engine manual states a no load top rpm of 10K so the 8K sounds about right. The FD kit is very nice, was not cheap@$299, but the quality is excellent. One thing I like is the cylindrical spacer on the engine. I have seen some engines on FDs on stand offs, That puts quite a loading on the mounting bolts and threads. With the cylinder the mounting and torque loads are distributed around the entire surface. The single support strut is more than sufficient fot the kit weight. All in all not a bad bike for the money. And it fits easliy in the Subaru!

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Not sure who made the kit, came in the usual "plain brown box" from Livefast Motors via ebay. He offers the same kit in 40cc 2 stroke for much less, $229 as I remember, pics show what might be a Mitsubishi? clone motor.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Thats way cool!! Two of those would fit in the Subaru. Ought to really rocknroll with a 52cc!
The guy who owns it says that he is scared to give it full throttle once it is up to speed, one little pothole or rock and that thing would probably go flying up in the air.