pedal starting a 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
As the title implies, I would like to know if its possible to set up a four stroke engine kit on a bike so that it could be started while pedaling the bike in a stationary position, similar to an old turn of the century bicycle. I have watched videos of a Pope motorcycle and Indian motorcycles being started with the rear tire kickstand up and the rear wheel off the ground. They then pedal the bike and spin the back wheel until the motor kicks over.

Weren't these old motorcycles 4 stroke?

Is there any way to set this up with a new 4 stroke kit and a rear wheel kickstand that keeps the rear wheel off of the ground?

I am looking into getting a 4 stroke engine for my first MB project, and I would like to get something that's larger than 50cc, because it is still legal in California to have up to 149cc's, except the bike can not be kick start, it must be pedal start to be considered a moped. I have been looking at the really cool 125cc pit bike motors, but they are all kick start and I was wondering if they could possibly be pedal started.

Thanks for any input,

Gilbert

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I am looking into getting a 4 stroke engine for my first MB project, and I would like to get something that's larger than 50cc, because it is still legal in California to have up to 149cc's, except the bike can not be kick start, it must be pedal start to be considered a moped. I have been looking at the really cool 125cc pit bike motors, but they are all kick start and I was wondering if they could possibly be pedal started.

Thanks for any input,
California law says nothing about CC's in the moped / motorized bicycle category.

It says less than 2 HP.

I have researched the CVC;s and have never seen any requirement for moped /
motorized bicycles to be pedal started
They need to have functioning pedals and could be pull, kick started or pedal started.
There is no mention of how they are started. I have a FD that can not be pedal started
and most of the 4 stroke in frame kits are pull started as well They have centrifugal clutches
so pedal starting would not be possible. My mate has a 50 cc kick started Morini and the
problem there is that it makes 12 HP.

However I don't know of any 125cc pit bike motor that isn't a lot more than 2 HP.
Does it have gears?

OK, you are you in LA I doubt if the cops will care if you ride your 125cc MB as long
as you don't get too crazy....

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I think some of the Luflin motors can be pedal started since they have an actual clutch. Actually if the law states that you can't have kick start just take the darned thing off and bump start the motor with the clutch, that opens up a LOT of engine possibilities.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I'm sorry, I did not mean to start a new "CA motorized bike law" thread. There are enough of those.
Re-reading the law, I see that I was wrong. When I read "pedal assisted", I thought it referred to starting the bike, but it just refers to being able to make the bike move by pedals.

So I guess, I don't need to worry about peddle starting it, but having the old style fender mounted kickstand and pedal starting it standing still would still be really cool I think.

So it is because of the centrifugal clutch that the current 4 stroke motors can not be pedal started?

Thanks again, and sorry for the law confusion,

Gilbert

P.S. Oh yeah, about the 2 horsepower thing, I was hoping to fudge that one and get a more powerful engine that looks like a 2 horsepower.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
P.S. Oh yeah, about the 2 horsepower thing, I was hoping to fudge that one and get a more powerful engine that looks like a 2 horsepower.
I always wondered about areas that have a HP limit on engines, how in the heck do they enforce it? It's not like they're going to make you put it on a dyno or anything. I mean look at the Morini, same sized engine but a wide range of HP. How would they know (without a dyno) if your 49cc engine puts out 2 HP or 12? :confused:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I always wondered about areas that have a HP limit on engines, how in the heck do they enforce it? It's not like they're going to make you put it on a dyno or anything. I mean look at the Morini, same sized engine but a wide range of HP. How would they know (without a dyno) if your 49cc engine puts out 2 HP or 12? :confused:
If we ever get pulled over on the 50 cc 12 HP water cooled Morini going over 60 the cop may be
a little suspicious......but CA also has a 30 mph speed for motor bicycles.

I have never heard of anyone in CA getting a ticket for an oversize motor. Plenty of tickets
for other offenses though.

Attachments

Last edited: