Pure Brilliance...

GoldenMotor.com

Mobius

Jul 29, 2008
Oregon
I was browsing my local Craigslist and discovered something of sheer genius... Yes it will need a clutch or perhaps just be a pedal start but just the way the he has assembled this makes perfect sense.

maybe this is how I will do it

Jstude

Jul 3, 2008
South Carolina
Not only no pedals, but are those foot pegs mounted by drilling through the small lower tubes behind the seat posts? Also, a quick release rear skewer.I see a good opportunity for structural failure. Put a freewheeling front sprocket, centrifugal clutch, and pedals, and then you have a better chance of a good outcome. Otherwise, I like it.

Mobius

Jul 29, 2008
Oregon
well I was meaning keep the pedals and for gods sake no drilling...

...actually now that I think of it I don't like it. you would never be able to stop pedaling.

Nevermind

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I think we're looking at a purely American Ricumbili with motor from lawn and garden equipment. And if the motor has a recoil starter and clutch =)
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee !

The only thing missing is a 1 liter soda bottle fuel tank.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
well I was meaning keep the pedals and for gods sake no drilling...

...actually now that I think of it I don't like it. you would never be able to stop pedaling.

Nevermind
If you want to build a bike without pedals....Go for it. Don't let anyone discourage you. :)
:ride2:

Mobius

Jul 29, 2008
Oregon
Nah I have to have pedals and motor. and if I have motor I want to be able to let it do the work and be able to keep my feet still.

On this bike the pedals would always turn.

I didn't think of all the ramifications until it was posted here and there were a couple comments

starrunner

May 12, 2008
vintageboatplans.com
I may have posted this already, but I'm getting old and forgetful, but the bike you posted is right in line with this one. Pure genius. You still have all the bike's gears. Of course, it's now a motorbike and not a pedal bike anymore, but it's at least a way to go. Yes, a freewheel crank could be used and I assume you could still pedal, but freewheel cranks are very expensive even if you can find one. And I'm sure you have to let off the throttle when changing gears or the chain will probably fly off.

starrunner

May 12, 2008
vintageboatplans.com
Here's a front wheel drive setup I've been working on. This pic is from last winter and I have the engine on it and have added more braces and am almost ready for a test run. I'm using a 2 hp Briggs and it wasn't getting spark but will soon. I used aluminum angle that I already had and avoided welding, but angle iron is the better way to go. Too much drilling otherwise. That's a gokart/mini bike wheel/sprocket combo from Northern Tool. I got the idea for this from Dennis Becraft, who made one like it almost 20 years ago that ran great.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
as far as front freewheels keep an eye out for ross road/race bikes. They had a fixed rear casette and a freewheeling front sprocket one way any way. just the reverse of most all bikes produced. kinda cool just a FYI.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Here's a front wheel drive setup I've been working on. This pic is from last winter and I have the engine on it and have added more braces and am almost ready for a test run. I'm using a 2 hp Briggs and it wasn't getting spark but will soon. I used aluminum angle that I already had and avoided welding, but angle iron is the better way to go. Too much drilling otherwise. That's a gokart/mini bike wheel/sprocket combo from Northern Tool. I got the idea for this from Dennis Becraft, who made one like it almost 20 years ago that ran great.
Very cool. Looking forward to new pics.