Clutch arm vibrates up and clutch is useless

GoldenMotor.com

z2400969

Sep 10, 2009
San Jose
When riding the clutch arm vibrates up past the pin that engages the clutch and the arm swings inward. That crates slack in the cable and basically I cant pull in the clutch. I have to stop with it engaged, undo the cable from the arm, swing the arm out until the flat stop is parallel with the end of the pin so I can push it down and reconnect the cable. It's an endless cycle. Is there something that is maybe broke that i supposed to hold the arm/actuator down? It just recently started happening. What's wrong?

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
When riding the clutch arm vibrates up past the pin that engages the clutch and the arm swings inward. That crates slack in the cable and basically I cant pull in the clutch. I have to stop with it engaged, undo the cable from the arm, swing the arm out until the flat stop is parallel with the end of the pin so I can push it down and reconnect the cable. It's an endless cycle. Is there something that is maybe broke that i supposed to hold the arm/actuator down? It just recently started happening. What's wrong?
Sounds like you have to much play inthe cable with the clutch engaged ie riding there should be just a bit of tension on the cable enough that it is straight and no play in it.

There is also a pin that locates the arm in the slide that it sits in... check to see if the pin is still there!

Edit. read the latter

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
So i dont edit my last post to death i will start again.

Remove the cover that the arm sits in check that the locating pin is stil in the cover (housing) If so check the clutch pin remove it and see if the bearing is in behind it.

z2400969

Sep 10, 2009
San Jose
So i dont edit my last post to death i will start again.

Remove the cover that the arm sits in check that the locating pin is stil in the cover (housing) If so check the clutch pin remove it and see if the bearing is in behind it.
I have had the cover off and the clutch pin is there, but I haven't checked for teh bearing is there, I will do that, but I don't remember seeing a locating pin. Could you explain a little more.

I can pull the arm and actuator totally out when the cable is removed from the arm. Is this normal?

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I can pull the arm and actuator totally out when the cable is removed from the arm. Is this normal?
Bingo thats ya prob you shoulnt be able to pull it out, if you look on the actuator part you can see a grove about halve way up that pin thats missing sits in that grove.
If you look in the back of the cover you will see where the pin slides in. either get a new cover or make a new pin to fit.

z2400969

Sep 10, 2009
San Jose
I do see a small hole in the back of the cover. Is that where the pin goes? What would you recommend as a replacement for a pin? Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The missing pin is about 3/32" in diameter, about 1/2" long. Some of them are pressed in then the case is peened over at the top to hold it in place. Some have a dap of epoxy like stuff to hold the pin. Find a piece of metal rod that will fit the hole, carefully drive it in and secure it there with either method described above. After the pin is replaced you will still be able to remove/install the clutch actuator arm but you'll need to rotate it about 90 degrees from the position it normally rides in. Hope I explained it right. Let us know how you make out.
Tom

z2400969

Sep 10, 2009
San Jose
The missing pin is about 3/32" in diameter, about 1/2" long. Some of them are pressed in then the case is peened over at the top to hold it in place. Some have a dap of epoxy like stuff to hold the pin. Find a piece of metal rod that will fit the hole, carefully drive it in and secure it there with either method described above. After the pin is replaced you will still be able to remove/install the clutch actuator arm but you'll need to rotate it about 90 degrees from the position it normally rides in. Hope I explained it right. Let us know how you make out.
Tom
I do see the hole and the left over epoxy. I will try and find a pin that fits and let you guys know.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the shank of a drill bit will work don't use the twisted end but the end that fits into the drill chuck find the correct diameter bit insert it into the hole cut off the excess with a dremel cut off wheel epoxy it or peen it to keep it in place.

I like JB weld on toast there 2door I said it.
a dab on the pant leg and you won't catch it on the acorn nut on the clutch arm.:)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
would a roll spring pin from ace/westlake hardware store work?
Yes, A roll pin will work too. Norman has a good idea with the shank of a drill bit but any hardened steel pin/dowel will suffice. You just need to find a way to secure it so it doesn't fall out again. I prefer the peening method; More permanent than glue. I'd bet dollare to donuts someone will suggest JB Weld...It gets used for everything else around here.
Tom

z2400969

Sep 10, 2009
San Jose
I ended up using the shank of a drill bit and some JB Weld type of epoxy. I cant think of the name righ not but problem solved. Thanks guys.wee.