Motor Kit with COASTER BRAKES????

GoldenMotor.com

Mick5s

Mar 14, 2012
Connecticut
Hey All

So I am new to this forum and I am wondering about putting a motor kit on a beach cruiser with coaster brakes. I could also do it on a bike with normal linear brakes, but it has gears, and that will get complicated.

So what should I do. A beach cruiser with coaster brakes? Or one with Linear?

The coaster brakes bike would be cheaper, well because it is a cheap bike, but I only have about $175 top to spend on a bike.

Answers, and suggestions for bikes would be great!

Thanks in advance!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Coaster brakes are fine for a pedal bike but we always suggest two wheel brakes for any motorized bicycle. If the bike you choose to motorize doesn't have front brakes you'll need to explore adding them or look for another candidate for the engine.

One way to describe it that another member suggested is to imagine that you're always riding downhill if your bike is motorized. Good brakes are essiential. Coaster brakes on the rear wheel only just ain't gonna cut it.
Tom

Mick5s

Mar 14, 2012
Connecticut
Thanks for the reply. It would be cheapest and easiest for me to get a coaster brake bike, and I could just add a set of front linear brakes. That way, I could have dual assurance that I have good brakes one way or the other. Right?

Mick5s

Mar 14, 2012
Connecticut
Well fantastic! Now I'll have to face the problem of the sprocket fitting over the rear hub, but apparently its an easy fix.

Thanks for the help!