Tellus Bicycle 30's made in Sweden

GoldenMotor.com

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I have now bought it for 50 dollars! Photos to come.
It has been in a barn for about 35 years according to the guy who sold it to me. He seemed to be a bit unstable but said he was the bike owners son. He was on something when dealing about the price.

The bike is rusted but the wheels roll knife sharp, lights work etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I am curious about the measurement regarding stem, handlebar, seatpost and so on... I am hoping on standards but everything looks so narrow im diam, including the frame, yet the bike is way heavier than any of my other bikes. It sits in my livingroom right now, havent had time to investgate.... OK -Drunk report - Signing off-

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice bike! I really like the lines, how the cross bar flows right through the whole bike. You have all the room in the world there for just about any engine... 2 stroke, 4 stroke. The frame tube diameter can be smaller because of the quality of the steel. You just can't get around top quality materials and fine welding.
$50.00... I paid more than that for a set of fenders. What are your plans? Are you going to try to restore it? What size are the tires? Will it get an engine? What kind? Lucky man!
Silverbear

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I am not really sure what to do with it, first I was looking for something new to motorize and restorate / fix but now when I´ve sobered up I have had thoughts about keeping it in it's original shape except for some minor mods.
Engine would be a china 2 stroke if motorized. The wheels are 26".

Hm....Maybe: Keep the frame as it looks, remove the rack (in order to expose the beautiful frame, not throwing rack away though), new sturdy wheels, white wall tires, ape hangers and a brownish brooks saddle (that would be alot more expensive than the bike but...)
I also found this brass tank for sale on a swedish auction site... http://images.tradera.com/187/89530187_1.jpg -price is now $3.60 with 2 days left.... Also found this light: http://images.tradera.com/257/89532257_1.jpg

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I am not really sure what to do with it, first I was looking for something new to motorize and restorate / fix but now when I´ve sobered up I have had thoughts about keeping it in it's original shape except for some minor mods.
Engine would be a china 2 stroke if motorized. The wheels are 26".

Hm....Maybe: Keep the frame as it looks, remove the rack (in order to expose the beautiful frame, not throwing rack away though), new sturdy wheels, white wall tires, ape hangers and a brownish brooks saddle (that would be alot more expensive than the bike but...)
I also found this brass tank for sale on a swedish auction site... http://images.tradera.com/187/89530187_1.jpg -price is now $3.60 with 2 days left.... Also found this light: http://images.tradera.com/257/89532257_1.jpg
Ooo, yes, I like both the gas tank and the light... very cool and retro. As for the seat, why not reupholster in a nice brown leather, either the seat it came with or another old one? You'd save a bundle. I just redid one on my 1950 Schwinn Straight bar DX cruiser. A week ago it was rusty and the leather was torn. Now all of the metal has been cleaned with a wire wheel, primed and painted in black engine enamel and the seat has new and better padding along with a new covering of black elk hide. Since I had the seat already, my total cost is a few dollars worth of materials and some satisfying labor. I bet my seat is more comfortable on a long ride than that Brooks seat. Of course your wallet would be flatter riding the Brooks, but still. Redoing a seat isn't that hard.
I'd go for the motor on that bike as it would be a great ride and a real head turner. I would just be careful in what I did so that if I ever wanted to the bike could be restored to how it was... in other words, no welding for me on a vintage bike. Whatever you decide it is a winner for sure. Keep us updated. Is it still riding weather over there? We're just about all done in my part of the world. There are many people around here of Swedish descent. Swedes, Norskies (Norwegians) and Finlanders emmigrated here because it kinda looked like home, I guess.
Silverbear

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This is (hopefully!) my next project, It has been out for sale for a month. Im going to buy it tomorrow!
Just look at that frame!!!
I was just looking at the picture of your bike again. That seat can be restored! Actually it is very similar to the one I just did last week. I'll attach a photo so that you can see. If you want tips on how to go about it, just ask. And it would still be the original seat that came with it. I can picture the gas tank behind the seat. And there's really nothing wrong with that rack unless you don't like it. It would give you something to affix the tank to. Nice and different chain guard. In your other night time photo I was looking at the headlight and you could fix that dent in the back of the light (nice light, actually) by filling it in with auto body epoxy, smoothing it out and then doing a little bit of paint graphics on the rear of the light, something like an iV shaped painted in the same color as the bike. Again, it would be the original light. On the other hand the one you found would look cool, too. Before removing and changing, it is good to stare at it for awhile and get used to it as it is, then build on what is already there to make it yours as you want it.
SB

Attachments

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Thank you all for your comments!
Silverbear: I cant say it's riding weather here, it's freezing point at night, all water spots on the road are death traps...
I am interested in how you redid you old leather saddle, what to do and so on. PM me if you want to.

I havent touched the bike yet, it still stays in my livingroom. I'm having some beers now and maybe I'll take some detail photos during the night.. Who knows... ;)

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you all for your comments!
Silverbear: I cant say it's riding weather here, it's freezing point at night, all water spots on the road are death traps...
I am interested in how you redid you old leather saddle, what to do and so on. PM me if you want to.

I havent touched the bike yet, it still stays in my livingroom. I'm having some beers now and maybe I'll take some detail photos during the night.. Who knows... ;)
An oldAmerican song came to mind this moring when I looked outside..
There's no buisness...
...like snow business, like no business I know...da da da da da da daaa daaa!!!! Even singing it does not elevate my appreciation of the inch or twoso of decoration outside my door. Is this really necessary? Actually the song is uppowd to be about "show business". But the only show around here right now is snow, first of the year, right on schedule... along with wind and icy roads. I just crept to town at 25-30 mph in the truck and even so it was treacherous. Stopped at the dump where I like to do my dead bicycle shopping (it sw my own mall of america), but there was nothing of interest so I just window shopped and felt kind of superior and uppity for not bringing any more trash home. Just made deposits in my account today. Another time I'll make a withdrawal. A while back I found a 1950 Schwinn, the one I posted pictures of with the seat much like yours.
When you are taking pictures of your bike, take some in particular of the seat... one or two with the bike upright and then turn it over and show the underside. Or take the seat off the bike and show the underside. Then I can see the way it was made and will have a better idea of how to take it apart for restoration. Don't try to remove any rusty nuts or bolts until you can loosen things up with a little penetrating oil. Let it sit some so that the oil can do it's work. No hurry. Then we'll go from there.
Yes, the Swedish immigrants thought Minnesota was just like home. So did the Germans, the Norwegians and the Finns. And it was because Minnesota is a very large state, bigger than some countries. At the southern end where it is rich farmland it is much like Germany, further up like Norway, further yet like Sweden and up by the Canadian border where the glacier stopped and left behind over 12,500 lakes is where the Finns and Laps found a place just like home. The Finns got along well with the Indian people already living here since they had a similar forest, lakes and animals as common ground. Where the Ojibwe Indians made wigwams, canoes, storage containers and cooking vessels out of birch bark, the Finns used it for shoes among other things. They shared many of the same skills and appreciated each others knowledge of the forest, hunting and fishing. They also shared bathing traditions... the Finns with their saunas and the Indians with their sweat lodges. The local Indians even referred to the Finns as "the sweat lodge people". A fair amount of intermarriage went on and some of the offspring to this day are called "Findians". Ha! I suppose other Scandanavian mixed bloods would be Scindians.
Yes, it's good with a bike like yours to just let it sit and get used to it as it is. It will come to you what you should do with it. Of course I see a motor in that nice big opening in the frame, but if you feel like peddling till your pants catch on fire, that's your choice. I'm too lazy for that. Besides, I have Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dogto consider; she likes to go fast.
Silverbear