Redoing wheels...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I went ahead and ordered the HD Freewheel hub and Sturmey-Archer Front Drum hub when the local bike shop told it it would be anywhere from $25-$40 to relace my wheels. After waiting a week...they finally got back to me and said because they have to buy new spokes and do the labor...the cost is going to be anywhere from $150-300 dollars for both of them with no time frame to get the work done.

I'm almost tempted to go pick up my parts and learn to do it myself...but would like to have the bike on the road before I hit retirement. I could have spent less than this ordering the wheels complete...but thought the savings going local would be worth it. Now...I feel like I'm being taken for a ride...but don't know anyone locally or online I would trust to be able to do the job right without spending more than what I could have bought them complete online.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Wow they are asking for a lot!
My local LBS laced up the same setup your going for, hd hub and sturmey in the front, but with 12g spokes a new rims for little over 2 bills.
I would suggest getting the spokes cut to the right size and lacing them up your self
I've been doing research on how to do them myself also for a future build and the process doesn't look that complicated.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I paid $170 for two wheels with 48 hole, 14 gauge spokes. $35 labor for each wheel and $1.00 for each spoke. It would have been $1.50 per spoke if I built my own wheels. The spokes were DT Swiss and rolled on a Phil Wood roller.

Problem of having your spokes rolled, you buy them even if your wrong. Just make sure your lengths are correct if your lacing your own.

In general, it is a practice not to use your old spokes when re-lacing a wheel.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Wow they are asking for a lot!
My local LBS laced up the same setup your going for, hd hub and sturmey in the front, but with 12g spokes a new rims for little over 2 bills.
I would suggest getting the spokes cut to the right size and lacing them up your self
Got a call from the shop today and if they can cut the spokes/use my current setup...I'll get out for the back wheel at $85. If they can do the front...will come away with the same amount. For the new hardware...$115.

I've been doing research on how to do them myself also for a future build and the process doesn't look that complicated.
Actually...may buy the spokes/nipples from the bike shop and do it myself.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Lacing and truing a wheel isnt as mysterious as it seems, most people can do it with some patience. Ive got a great pdf book on how to lace and tru a wheel ...pm me if you want a copy.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Lacing and truing a wheel isnt as mysterious as it seems, most people can do it with some patience. Ive got a great pdf book on how to lace and tru a wheel ...pm me if you want a copy.
I concur I just laced up three wheels and found it pretty easy really. Just a little time consuming yet very rewarding! Over all I will always do my own wheels! I had always trued my own wheels. Re-lacing a wheel is a piece of cake.

I was very impressed with the stainless steel 14 gauge Sapien Spokes from here. http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=406&cat=0&bestseller=Y

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Will be more than happy to read anything you have...especially since I've spent more than I was expecting to get my new hubs put on the wheels.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I was very impressed with the stainless steel 14 gauge Sapien Spokes from here. http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=406&cat=0&bestseller=Y
The only thing which worries me about any size smaller than 12 gauge is the weight factor. Am about 300 Lbs...with a 4 stroke added to the bike and am scared the spokes won't last.

Someone else suggested that 13 gauge with that SA hub means no drilling 36 holes bigger to use 12 or 11 gauge spokes. Anything which makes the job easier and gives me the strength I am looking for would work.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
If you get em laced 4-cross, strength shouldn't be a problem, even with 14g spokes.

However, the hubs only need a light touch of the spoke holes, if that, to fit 12ga.
Ok, this comes along at just the right time :) I ordered a SA Dyno hub off of eBay. I don't think I'd have too much trouble lacing them up so I'm going to try. Is that 4 cross style something I can see on a vid somewhere?

Guess I can go poke around myself :)

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Other than several videos refering to a 4 cross spoke job there is no video OF a 4 cross spoke job. I'm going to make a wild guess and say instead of skipping 3 holes you skip 5.

Is that right?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The PDF sent me does a pretty good job explaning how to do a 4 cross. I think I can muddle through the build with it. I found a bunch of videos on the 3 cross lacing and a few that mention it. Reason to go for it is I might not need to get different spokes with the SA Dyno Brake Hub.

Going to Harbor Freight to buy a digital caliper for $10. Can't beat that ;)

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Wanted to let everyone know I just got back BOTH wheels done from the bike shop. They were able to use my steel rims/12 ga spokes/nipples without needing to get any other parts. Total cost $80 for labor.

Means tomorrow...will be getting it all put together and praying that everything works better than it has in the past several years.