Proper way/parts to install 1" fork on 1 1/8" head tube?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a pair of Suzuki K10's with 1" steerer tube, but my frame has a 1 1/8" head tube. Shimmed it with sheetmetal strips and works ok, been driving it for a couple months, but would like to do it properly. Are there proper shims, or a sleeve of some sort? Post a link if you know what to use. Thanks.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Are you sure about your frame head tube bean, cuz American made schwinn frames are 1 inch. Attached is a picture of what I have used in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I took the bearing cups out of my cranbrook, which is a 1" steerer tube, and they were too small to fit in the Schwinn head tube. Maybe I just need different bearing cups or something? not sure.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Just googled head tube reducers after looking at that picture, found some on Amazon for $18, Prime eligible which means free shipping. Will order this coming weekend along with my new Kenda street tires. Also going to order a cable with a large barrel end to fit my brake lever. A kit clutch cable will do the trick for that.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I too believe you should be okay with the fork on the schwinn frame.As long as it is a old schwinn frame.The cranbrook probly has a inbetween size and not a true one inch cup.I know my roadmaster has a one inch head tube but the cups from a schwinn would not fit snug.Once I had the correct cups for the correct frame it wAs all good...good luck

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got the adapters in. It was a pain in the butt. Even though I'm using the same bearing cups as before, my fork is wiggling just the slightest bit. Tomorrow I will make sure everything is installed correctly and snugly, and hopefully I will sort it out.