Start of the 28" Board Tracker project

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I would go there and back multiple times!

I recommend you take a very large wad of cash with you. I see so many beautiful machines up for sale on their site

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Did you catch the Timeless motorcycle on page 3? Quite affordable considering how expensive everything else is. Here is a little tidbit of info. CA allows under SB100 1000 vehicles to be regestered for the street that would never meet emission standards. They are available the first business day of the year and are all gone in about 1 to 2 hours. All the kit car guys take them up usually. I don't see why you could not reg a Timeless the same way.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
update

here is an update with the installed dutch rims including front- and rear drum brakes and the Hartje Zeppelin 28x2.35 tires you can get for a good price (paid 50$ for the pair incl shipping). They are comfortable if you keep them under moderate pressure, just like suspension ;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Did you catch the Timeless motorcycle on page 3? Quite affordable considering how expensive everything else is. Here is a little tidbit of info. CA allows under SB100 1000 vehicles to be regestered for the street that would never meet emission standards. They are available the first business day of the year and are all gone in about 1 to 2 hours. All the kit car guys take them up usually. I don't see why you could not reg a Timeless the same way.
Do you guys still have that 'one bike in your lifetime' law where you can register a motorcycle that doesnt comply to noise or emissions, but you are only allowed one per person, per lifetime.
It used to be discussed in bobber & chopper circles, but I havent heard it mentioned for a while.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
where did you found 28x 2 rims??i am interested!
I have bought dutch 28" bicycle rims with drum brakes from ebay, but haven't arrived yet.
Tires will be 28x2.35 balloon tires from Hartje or Schwalbe, the biggest available for bicycles without spending 400$ for coker oldtimer tires. They are pretty close to the original size of 28x2.5 which they mostly used for the board track racers. Of course the bicycle rims are not as wide as the motorcycle rims, but will look good I hope.
as above George

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
No, they are not 2" wide, unfortunately. The tires have 2.35" width and they are balloon style tires, so can use them with small rims. The rims have an inner width from 1". It works, but I would like to have 2" wide rims too.

I actually thought about ripping my Honda XL motorbike apart, it has a 23x3.0 fronttire and rim with 2.5-3" width. Doesn't sound right but with motorcycles you calculate the inner diameter from the wheels, I took my measure tape and found out that the Honda frontwheel has the same diameter as my 28" bicycle wheel, but it is much, much wider and I would have to overwork my fork and rear frame. Did not wanna do this and I also wanted to keep my BTR as a modified, motorized bicycle...

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
here you can see the Honda frontwheel compared to the 28" BTR, the Honda tire is 3" wide, the rim has 2" width.

And here is one of my engine candidates, a Sachs 47cc 2-Stroke automatic transmission, which I intend to mount in an Indian sincle cyl position.
These engines you get quite cheap at auctions, so I actually thought about buying a second one, empty it and just use housing and cylinder to make it a V2-look. It will just add 3 lbs to the weight and will of course be a fake V2.

I will check other engines as well, but this one would be easy to make feasible.

Attachments

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Does the transmission run in transmission oil and if so how would that effect it running if it is on end?

Steve.
yep, that was one of my concerns too. It is half filled with ATF, up to the filler neck, if I turn the engine the filler neck is a bit higher, and I can still keep the transmission half filled with ATF. So it should be no problem but thanks for reminding.

Did not count the Honda spokes, ordered two 1.5" old-school rims today and gonna use the hubs with the drum brakes.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Dang axel! You work fast. and make very good things! I have to ask. What was the base for your tank? In the middle picture it looks like a SCUBA tank!

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Dang axel! You work fast. and make very good things! I have to ask. What was the base for your tank? In the middle picture it looks like a SCUBA tank!
yep, scuba tank, ~ 1 gal, quite heavy but always a good base for converting it into a fuel tank, cheap and easy to get