Falcon GTS Build

GoldenMotor.com

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Hi All, I'm Dave and I'm new to this Forum. Due to a lapse in judgement I have temporarily lost the right to operate a "motor vehichle" in the State of Florida. Since I can't drive, I decided I needed to get a bike. Now, I'm 6' 2" 200+ and 49 years old and a Huffy from Wallymart just doesn't fit my frame (had one years ago and eventually used the fork to build a trolley for my duck boat). So I jumped on the web and started searching for a good bike. I eventually decided I liked the Micargi Mustang GTS, but figured it was out of my price range. Wile surfing around I came across these bike motors and a Bulb went on!!

After more searching and researching, I settled on a Micargi Falcon GTS from Zone 8 and a Silver Horse 66 from GasBike.net. I kept surfing around and found this place which alerted me to the 64 spoke problem. Meanwhile I get an E-mail from GasBikes saying they are out of the Silver Horse, but they are willing to give me a FREE UPGRADE to a GruBee Sillver Hawk!! Now I find out that 2 stroke bike motors are obsolete. On another note, This morning I won an Ebay auction for a (looks like MX 60) Yamaha gas tank that I may or may not use on this build. $5.00 plus $14 shipping!! Anybody got a cap lying around for this old tank? So.... I'm here waiting on the ancticipated Tuesday delivery of the bike and the Wednesday delivery of the engine kit.

I've got a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with.

1) I see all kinds of installs and not all of them have the carb parallel with the ground. Is this an important consideration?

2) Regarding the Micargi rear hub. Has anyone thought of or implemented simply reaming out the center hole to clear the hub and using the Manic Mechanic method of mounting directly to the hub?

3)This frame appears to have an integral tank welded into the frame ala Felt and a few others. Has anyone utilized this dummy as an actual tank on a Micargi?

I guess that's all for now. Pictures will be forthcoming. You can rest assured that you haven't heard the last from me!!

zpt

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. I can't help with most of your questions since I'm not familiar with the bike. Regarding the carb, level to the ground is something to shoot for, but it isn't always possible and people appear to get away with it.
I don't know what you mean by stating that 2 strokes are obsolete. I don't think so.
SB

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Welcome to the forum. I can't help with most of your questions since I'm not familiar with the bike. Regarding the carb, level to the ground is something to shoot for, but it isn't always possible and people appear to get away with it.
I don't know what you mean by stating that 2 strokes are obsolete. I don't think so.
SB
As far as I can tell from what I've read EPA mandates from 2006 prohibited importation of 2 stroke motors; so the Industry has been running on kits imported before the mandate went into effect. People on here have been complaining that they can't find alot of new stock for purchase. Pirate Cycles says on their website that they are using their LAST 50 motors to build high performance "stage" race motors. So from what I've gathered the only thing we'll see in the future will be 4-strokes.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You could be right, i surely don't know. I do know that we've been hearing for a long time from many vendors that the motors won't be available and to hurry up and buy them while we can. I find it curious that all of the effort Pirate Cycles and the good people supplying them with upgraded parts to develop a superior china girl is for fifty motors and then no more. That doesn't strike me as making much business sense. I can say that I sincerely hope the motors continue to be available. The four strokes are nice, but I like these little china girls... inexpensive and just look right. I guess we'll see.
SB

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Got my bike Yesterday from Zone 8. Gooseneck is scratched, springer is tweaked and the front rim is Very Tweaked. It's rideable but has a noticeable side to side oscilation. My motor kit came in today. I opened the box and gave it a visual once over. All the parts are there. I was surprised how light the engine is. Not sure when I'll get around to installation as I'm not sure if I'm legal enough to dare it on the roads.

BTW this bike has 36 spoke wheels, NOT 64!! So sprocket installation should be a breeze. Another thing i found out when I got the bike; Though the front tube looks HUGE in pictures, it's actually flattened to the size of a normal tube. The motor kit I got has ALL the latest upgrades!! New carb, big tank, 3 piece sprocket adapter, upgraded button clutch handle. Looks like a real nice assembly. Even at $149.00, it's a real value in todays market. Snatch em up now cuz when they're gone we'll be cobbling pieces and parts to keep the 2-strokes running or moving on to 4-strokes. It'd be cool if somebody could make an ATTRACTIVE 4-stroke that doen't look like an edger or mini-bike motor!!

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Got my bike Yesterday from Zone 8. Gooseneck is scratched, springer is tweaked and the front rim is Very Tweaked. It's rideable but has a noticeable side to side oscilation. My motor kit came in today. I opened the box and gave it a visual once over. All the parts are there. I was surprised how light it is. Not sure when I'll get around to installation as I'm not sure if I'm legal enough to dare it on the roads.
If you haven't taken photos of the damage to the bike, do so and contact Zone 8. If they care about their reputation they'll make things right for you. You paid for a new bike in new condition and that's what you should get. It would be different if it were used from ebay. I know the feeling of disappointment. No, the motors aren't very heavy. I think it is amazing how well they work considering how cheap they are and how poorly finished. It will all be worth it when you feel the wind in your face and realize you have a big smile, like an over sized twelve year old. If you have trouble, we can help.
SB

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Snuck out to the garage a while ago to see if the motor would fit. That little sucker dropped right in the like it grew there! Not tight at all. Almost as if the frame was designed for it. yeah the angles aren't "Perfect" but a shim on one end or the other and BOLT her right up!! I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
OK! Here's a quick shot of the mock-up right before it rained. With the extra rear mount, it fits like a glove! I'm gonna turn the head around so the spark plug has more room and looks more normal. Sorry about the background and slight hand shake!

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
OK! Here's a quick shot of the mock-up right before it rained. With the extra rear mount, it fits like a glove! I'm gonna turn the head around so the spark plug has more room and looks more normal. Sorry about the background and slight hand shake!
Call Jim ( Creative engineering )....his site is here in the forum at the left....he'll hook you up with a custom motor mount....but so far the motor DOES look like it was born there ......

Salty.shft.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Hi Coastal, I just finished the same bike(mine's red) w/ a BMP FD and Mitsi clone and it is one FINE ride! My springer was messed up too. All "sprung" and the fender hole was drilled off center! I've got a mtb shock fork w/ v brakes now. You'll be infinitely more happy w/ the Falcon over the Huffy. You're 4 inches taller and I feel crunched on my Cranny. Good Luck w/ your build. She's a LOOKER!

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Hi Coastal, I just finished the same bike(mine's red) w/ a BMP FD and Mitsi clone and it is one FINE ride! My springer was messed up too. All "sprung" and the fender hole was drilled off center! I've got a mtb shock fork w/ v brakes now. You'll be infinitely more happy w/ the Falcon over the Huffy. You're 4 inches taller and I feel crunched on my Cranny. Good Luck w/ your build. She's a LOOKER!
ok I'm stumped. I'm new at this and don't know all the acronyms. What is a BMP FD and a Mitsi clone?

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Spent the afternoon installing the fenders to get an idea of what they looked like on the bike. I bobbed the rear fender about 9 inches to lose some of the nerd look. I'm not sure I like the fenders on. It's not Beachy enough. I also picked up an old school Panther style 46 tooth chain wheel from eBay My World - cruisinthelowlife a couple days ago. She pedals nice against the wind now - maybe a little slower but then, She is a cruiser.

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
ok I'm stumped. I'm new at this and don't know all the acronyms. What is a BMP FD and a Mitsi clone?
Some of us here in the forum.....will try and prove their worth by psyching you out,,,,,using acronyms and what not.....pay no attention to them......simply ask like you just have....I don't have a clue either....even after over 500 posts...I bet you that not even all of our humble moderators know them either.( I'm waiting here to get censored ..LOL.) ...those who can.....do.....those who can't....make stupid posts.....:)

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hey Guys! I spent the last few evenings painting the jug. What do ya think? Should I sand the fins? paint the head too? I'm open to all comments.[/QUOTE

I think it looks great as is since the bike is a flat black mostly.....file a fin off and see what it looks like...or even alternate between the fins...one on one off.....possibilities are limitless but I think it looks great as is....the endgame is what YOU want....all in all it's going to be one kick-ass bike...

Good luck,
Salty.shft.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
The paint job looks great. If it was me, I wouldn't miss with the fins too much for heat dissipation reasons. If you want to jazz it up more; you could paint all the side covers (mag, chain & gearbox) to match.

Can't wait to see the final build. Keep up the good work.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
The paint job looks great. If it was me, I wouldn't miss with the fins too much for heat dissipation reasons. If you want to jazz it up more; you could paint all the side covers (mag, chain & gearbox) to match.

Can't wait to see the final build. Keep up the good work.
2dawgs has a very valid response.....clutch cover,magneto and gear covering can be painted as well.....but like I stated previously....it's entirely up to you .....whatever you choose to do can always be refined....I just know it's going to rock !

Laters,
Salty.shft.