Custom Big Bore HT Bicycle Engine?

GoldenMotor.com

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Re: Custom Big Bore HT?

Ooh, forgot about that. Would that cost much for you guys with shops close by that do work like that? I couldn't, but I know not everybody lives in the middle of nowhere.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

all i know is everytime i send milenium technologies my dirt bike jugs for replating it costs me 150 dealer cost.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com

Yes.. Do not take out your Chrome or Flame Spray lining. Also.. Check wrist pin position , skirt length and shape as well. All critical functions.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Only way to bore these motors is to find a replacement jug, piston, rings and head as a kit from like treatland. Finding just the right kit is the problem. The transfer ports have to be close enough of a match so maybe portmatching would be all you'd have to do. Welding in some metal to grind away to the right shape is an option, too. The key would be the right rod length so the piston isn't shoved against the head or interfere with the bottom dead center clearances.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA

If you're gonna go far enough to actually bore it with a hone, I don't see why you couldn't trim the piston where it needs to be to fit how you want. The chrome thing is a bummer though. I didn't think about that.

Maybe some backyard engineered sleeves from steel shim stock sheet. Hmm. Ideas.

Last edited:

coryc

Jun 17, 2011
bullhead city,AZ

how much bigger of a bore is that stihl 49mm piston than the stock 66cc piston. i know theres not alot of meat to take off thesecylinder walls/jugs and the metal they're made out of is probably pretty cheap/weak. can you take enough out w/out strip perforating the wall or weakening it to the point of distortion at high temp? otherwise, i would think if it uses the same rod you could trim the skirt if needs be and it should work.i have a spare jug i've thought of trying this but not sure what the next size up would be that it could handle or size range/scale of piston kits out there. anybody?