automitive starter motor for electric bike

GoldenMotor.com

lilhog

Dec 25, 2008
florida
Ive been all over the posts for info on using an automotive starter for an electric bike. No info. Anyone know how quick they burn out with continuous use? Any chain or pulley options? cheap speed controls?

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
They are not made to run for extended periods. Many have only bronze bushings for bearngs, and the windings tend to heat up pretty quick. But maybe a newer one, a light weight version, maybe ftom a Chrysler product (higher RPM) might be worth an experiment. They are made for short spurts of high torque, and are not that efficient electrically at high RPM. Between the starter motor and enough battery to run it, you will have some serious weight.

Back in olden times guys used to make homemade winches for their Jeeps using old starter motors and junk-yard gears.

I'll watch for your report on how it works out!

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Forget using a starter. The field windings draw a huge amount of juice all by themselves. If you want to try an experiment, attach one to a battery with a small jumper wire and see it melt. It comes up to speed (no load) and draws a lot of power.

I have gotten a 450w scooter/bike motor from All Electric co. out of Cal. and intend to order 2 more today - 27 buck ea. and this particular one has a one-way clutch. $50
450 watts is more than 1/2 hp and will easily propel one to 20 mph.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When I was about seven years old my dad built a car for me that was powered by an old Ford starter motor. It was belt driven and actually ran pretty good but as the above advice says, a starter is not designed for continous operation. The motor would last about a week then cook. Dad had a friend who owned a salvage yard so he'd just stop in, pick up another old starter and replace the dead one. There are low amp/high torque starter motors available designed for race cars but you could buy several electric motors made for powering a bike or scooter for what one of those mega-buck things would cost.
Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Professor - When you get that 450w scooter motor working on your bike, please post a "how to". I would be interested to see how you select your controller too.

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Wheelbender- I just ordered 2 of them. One for a back-up.
I am thinking more and more about building a strech frame and putting the HF greyhound and an alternator in the frame with a 450w as a friction drive (would have a large roller, since the motor is relatively low rpm and a big roller would have pretty good adhesion to the tire).
No controller. I Know very little about electronics, maybe if there is a simple one it would be OK ( I'll have to ask Deacon). I was using the 250 watt motor with a toggle switch when the e-bike was on batterys- worked well but I don't go fast.