The maiden voyage...not so good

GoldenMotor.com

atvaholic

Jun 28, 2009
Canada
hello, i've been lurking in these forums a while, and love it! Great info on here. I decided to purchase one of the "80" CC kits from China. Im not very mechanical so I had a friend do the install for me. He got everything done, and the bike was running great at his place. I took it home and earlier this evening went for a ride. About a mile from home I was going slow (about 15mph) and the engine just died. I thought maybe I was out of gas so I peddled home. I tried to start a few times but it would not. As i said im not much of a mechanic but my friend left for a few days. I had a look at all connections and they seem ok. I pulled the plug, tried to look for spark, but could not see any. (It was hard to check as I had to kick the bike to try and turn it. Any suggestions on what else I can check? :-||

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
If you are not getting any spark try this first unhook the kill switch them try starting the bike. The stock kill switch's are known for shorting out. If the bike starts you can just hook up a cheap toggle switch, to kill the motor without a kill switch you can put full choke on, or stop and release the clutch to kill the motor.

atvaholic

Jun 28, 2009
Canada
If you are not getting any spark try this first unhook the kill switch them try starting the bike. The stock kill switch's are known for shorting out. If the bike starts you can just hook up a cheap toggle switch, to kill the motor without a kill switch you can put full choke on, or stop and release the clutch to kill the motor.
Thanks for the quick reply! Whats the best way to unhook it?

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Thanks for the quick reply! Whats the best way to unhook it?
look where all the wires hook together depending on how they are hooked up you will have to separate them. Only do one batch at a time the blue wire group then the white wire group because you do not want to mix up the wires. If you have electrical tape that should be fine to cover the wires back up.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would wait until you friend gets back before removing or cutting any wires if you don't know what you are doing.

atvaholic

Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Hey thanks for the tip...I took apart the switch and saw the black and yellow wire were touching! I seperated them and I now have spark! But the motor still wont start? I smell gas, I wonder if its flooded? I tried a new plug in case the old was fouled. Same thing. The motor turns over but does not even cough or sputter.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Don't release the clutch until your up to speed better, put the choke on half way before taking off. Check your exhaust and intake gaskets, make sure all nuts and bolts are still tight.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I had to tighten down the lil nut if you take off the air cleaner you can see it. I would get to haulin down the road and couldn't figure out why all of a sudden it would just die. My choke was so loose the Vibration would close the choke on me. Might do that before you get to much farther to avoid the same prob. Congrats on the ride and good luck with all your future MB endeavors. Beware, if this is your first MB it won't be your last!

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I think that is my problem too. Cuz I start out with the choke half way down, and ride for 10-15 minutes or so, and then it bogs down and dies. When the engine dies. The choke is all the way down. So I'm gonna tighten it up and that should keep it running. :)