'53 Schwinn Spitfire first build

GoldenMotor.com

BROWNRIDER

Jul 28, 2012
Plymouth,MA
here is a pic of the bike i have at home,
got rid of the seat and the springer fork, bought a monarch double springer fork and a saddle from j&p cycles. have a 48t pirate cycle sprocket with the adapter. also have a 79cc HF greyhound but am thinking about maybe going bigger.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
What do you hope to gain with the bigger engine? Also remember that a bigger engine will put more stress on the bikes parts.
Power

The bike will be fine, American craftmanship, 12 ga hvy duty wheels, monarchs ( obviously not installed yet) he's using good parts. Not sure if something bigger will fit without cutting out the mounts you have.

BROWNRIDER

Jul 28, 2012
Plymouth,MA

Fuel tank i made before it got soldered, need to sand and put a clear coat on it.

jack shaft from AGK, just need a clutch(11t) when i put that on with a 22t input sprocket and a 9t output sprocket and 48t rear sprocket total 1:10.667 gear reduction ratio.

Just a picture of the jack shaft on the bike.

the rear wheel with the 48t sprocket on it.
the finished bike is in sight hopefully only a month or two more.dance1

BROWNRIDER

Jul 28, 2012
Plymouth,MA
i know i haven't been on in a while, but have made some progress on my bike, here is the new gas tank i made, i thought the copper one looked stupid. will put up more pics when i get home from work

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You could of used a brass garden hose adapter file or grind the pipe threads off and sholder it in, with a nice brass hose cap. Prolly to late now.........Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The GX120 is not too powerful in my opinion, but the big Preddy is too much motor for the bike and won't fit, or so I have been told. I've had the same frame (53 Hornet) with a 99 Preddy and it was about right. Not quite enough for mountain climbing (long, steep hills) so I sold it.

I'm getting things together for something more like a Whizzer and had thought about a five horse Briggs, but have decided to go with a governed 147cc Jacobsen 2 stroke (1970's engine which powered a snow blower, made in Wisconsin). I believe that will be around the power range of a Whizzer and is about the upper limit for my 51 cantilever Schwinn frame I think. Even with that engine I'll be watching my frame closely and am building wheels with Atom drum brakes and 11 gauge spokes on original Schwinn rims, Moped suspension fork.

Your bike looks good, the new seat and gas tank will make it better yet. That's one of the cool things with building your own bike... you can change things as you go, make it the color you like, give it the engine you want, etc. and then change your mind and give it another do over.
SB

BROWNRIDER

Jul 28, 2012
Plymouth,MA
well bad luck for me today, got the engine running for a minute and the flywheel gets caught on something and the crank shaft cracked, so i think im just going to buy a 79cc online and by the time it gets here the bike will be ready to run