Maytag Flyer

GoldenMotor.com

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
This is the start of a new project.
The plan is to build an early 1900's style motor bicycle,
This bike is to be configured as an upright cruiser, rather than a boardtracker.

Last edited:

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
I have stripped the engine and cleaned it up, inspected it and got the rebuild parts.
Then main bike for the build is a Worksman INB that I got unfinished in raw steel.

Last edited:

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
I ordered a rear belt pulley from Timeless Motorcycles. This is the starting point of the build because everything else must fit with this pulley.
Started out by fitting the pulley to the rear Worksman wheel rim.

Last edited:

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Then I made up a stand to hold the bike.
The rear frame section now must be modified to clear the pulley.

Last edited:

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Marked out the cut lines,
and cut one rail at a time and fit in these pieces.
The frame now clears the wheel nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Next it was time to change the front half of the frame.

Started by cutting out the front tube and cutting the backbone.

Then had to clean off the old lug.

I need to widen the crank and pedals to clear the engine. Once I know the fit of the engine I can bend up a drop tube section and stretch the frame.

More next time.
brnot

OK Let the mayhem begin,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Cool, ive been awaiting this project, and im very impressed with the start.

I love a good belt drive and i love that timeless sheave, i used a similar setup for my sheave.....Did you buy the sheave direct from Timeless and if so how much? Can you get a matching front pulley?....... How much are the belts?

Im looking forward to hearing and seeing this maytag..... cant wait

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Cool, ive been awaiting this project, and im very impressed with the start.

I love a good belt drive and i love that timeless sheave, i used a similar setup for my sheave.....Did you buy the sheave direct from Timeless and if so how much? Can you get a matching front pulley?....... How much are the belts?

Im looking forward to hearing and seeing this maytag..... cant wait
I couldn't figure an easy way to make a flat belt sheave so the rear sheave from Timeless was about $80 US, they offered a "reject" front for $50 US but I will make my own to suit. Original rear sheaves are expensive if you can find them.

The flat belts and sheave liner will come from http://www.leatherdrivebelts.com/ when I know the size.

Don't hold your breath for the finish it will be a long build as I have other irons in the fire to tend too.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I dont expect this to be easy or a short build, but you said you will provide lots of pics, and i dont have a problem with slow internet so i welcome your photos and will enjoy this build unfold, however slow that may be. Im just glad someones doing one of these, they would have to be my favourite "small" engine. They just look cool!

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
I have stripped the engine and cleaned it up, inspected it and got the rebuild parts.
I have collected some free wrecked bicycles for bits and pieces.

Then main bike for the build is a Worksman INB that I got unfinished in raw steel.
What's that thing on the rear wheel of the silver speeded bike?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I am really looking forward to see your bike run. I like this twin better than its hit-and-miss Maytag single engine.
On youtube, a country boy runs this engine "on coke".

Actually, this Maytag 72 engine runs so smooth that the man perches it on the top of 4 Coke bottles!

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
On the outskirts of the most disliked city in the country.
?? Detroit ?? laff Subscribed: Im gonna love watching this come togather. and I might have to steal your rear frame widening technique for my belt drive mod . These worksman frames are strong but narrow in inconvient places...

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Now that you've got us all interested your not going to make us waite 6-months for the next episode are you ?(LOL) looks like your on the right tarck looks good too!