Motor won't start

GoldenMotor.com

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
So here's the deal. You know the "cough" that the motor makes when the chain is pulled? That died down. When I let go of the clutch, the motor gives the chain some resistance but that's it. No cough, no start up. I feel like something is loose in there but I'm not sure. Any tips?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am assuming that you mean that the engine does not turn over at all, the piston does not move when you try to start it.
It could be a number of different things.
Clutch is slipping. Could be cable adjustment or flower nut adjustment or oily/ greasy friction surfaces in the clutch.

Engine sprocket is loose or woodruff key is missing or damaged.

Clutch is loose on shaft or woodruff key is missing or damaged.

Crank shaft gear is loose or woodruff key is missing or damaged.

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Oily surfaces in the clutch... well I did oil up my chain pretty generously recently. Could this have something to do with it?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I should have asked which type of engine you have. I am assuming that you have an in frame Chinese 2 stroke.
If so, the clutch is on the right side of the engine behind the teardrop shaped gear case cover.
The chain is on the left side of the engine. There is no way lubing the chain could get oil or grease into the clutch.

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Yeah, that sounds about right. Well this all started one day when I was revving my engine to keep it running at a stop light. When it was time to go, I twisted the throttle but didn't get any acceleration. I turned the bike off to check it out and then it just wouldn't turn back on. Loosening the clutch actually worked for a little while but the then the problem came back. It definitely seems like something's just loose in there.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think if you remove the primary cover, and roll the bike forward with the clutch out, that should reveal what's wrong.

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Yeah I did that to make sure all the gears are turning. They are, maybe I should remove some of the gears as well to further inspect..

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah I did that to make sure all the gears are turning. They are, maybe I should remove some of the gears as well to further inspect..
If both of the gears are turning, remove the magnito cover and see it the rotor is turning. If it's not, that would probably mean the key is sheared on the pinion gear.

If the rotor is turning, then it sounds like you've lost compression, and you'll need to take the top end apart.

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
So I moved it around yesterday without taking anything apart. It actually feels like the piston is moving but very slowly. That cough I keep referencing, which I now assume is the piston, does happen but very less frequently. It almost feels like the clutch is just on somehow. Is there something that would make this happen? If I could get some info on how the clutch works I feel that I could service my bike a little better.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
it sounds to me like something is loose. your clutch cable may be loose or your flower nut may be loose. loosen the screw that holds the flower nut in place, pull the clutch handle in and lock it, and then back the flower nut off a quarter turn at a time until you feel more resistance. but before you do that, check the screws on the clutch arm cover. this is the cover on the left side of the bike where the clutch cable attaches to the clutch arm. those screws could be loose as well. i have had problems with the screws before. most likely something is just loose.