Unhappy with a Pawn shop motorized bicycle seller

GoldenMotor.com

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
So I found a motorized bike at a local pawn shop yesterday and went back to look at it today. A friend of mine is looking to buy one soon so I was hoping it would fit the bill, so to speak.

It was a basic 48cc straight top, on a Panama jack beach cruiser. After taking a good look at it here is what I found.

Bicycle frame had been painted flat black. Not a nice improvement.
No twist throttle or kill switch. A brake lever was being used for throttle.
Missing stock NT air filter. The current "filter" was being held on by copper wire and made of sponge.
The muffler had been chopped in half and end was tack welded on with a noticeable gap.
The muffler gasket was leaking horribly.
The lower body of the motor was missing a dime size piece right across from the clutch arm so the arm moved back and forth, side to side.

And to top it off the coaster brake was not attached to the frame, with no other brakes added.

Doing the math, a brand new exact build would cost roughly $351, shipped to my place. The guy was asking $300 for the bike. With the cost to replace the above, not including the broken bottom end, your looking almost $90!

The owner, who I pointed this all out to, claimed he had been riding the bike all over town and had no issues yet. He must have thought I was trying to talk the price down. To kill the motor he would just come to a stop and stall it out. He also told me he had another bike in the back he was getting ready to put out.

Am I crazy to think he is
A) Charging too much
B) That bike is not safe to sell
C) Not the way to introduce these bikes to the public

I wish there was some law about selling such a bike in the shape it is in.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Re: Unhappy with a Pawn shop MB seller

Did he at least offer to throw in a free helmet? Should have, all things considered.

"...had no issues yet." That's where my suspension-of-disbelief failed to kick in. If that bike ran great and that clutch worked fine, why is he selling? Hmmm? That's what I thought. "I broke this, may as well find a sucker and get some of my money back on it."

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho

Remember this is a pawn shop that is selling the bike, not the person who built it.

That's probably how he got it however. It was probably in an accident. The guy fixed it the best he could, slapped a new coat of paint on it and handed it off to the next sucker.

I just hope that I come across the new owner and have the chance to help him fix the bike before he hurts himself.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Remember this is a pawn shop that is selling the bike, not the person who built it.

That's probably how he got it however. It was probably in an accident. The guy fixed it the best he could, slapped a new coat of paint on it and handed it off to the next sucker.

I just hope that I come across the new owner and have the chance to help him fix the bike before he hurts himself.
Good point.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Sounds like SOP for a pawn shop TBH *shrug*

I stop by my local pawn shop frm time to time to check to see if there's anything worth buying... but there very rarely is as the standard modus operandi for such a place is to offer a few pennies to the desperate for junk, then sell it for as much as possible - regardless of condition or value.

The last time I went there (and it may be the last time I'll ever bother), there was a coupla box store bikes settin' out front (not motorized), a pair of 24" NEXT mountain bikes and a cranny, each and every one used (or at least spot rusting) - each and every one priced higher than you could get 'em frm the wallyworld all of a 1/4 mile down the road.

I mentioned that to the guy and he said "well, make me an offer" & I replied "heck, I don't want the things - jus' figured I'd mention yer selling them for more than new retail in case ya didn't know" and he just grunted, said "I've real customers to attend to" and wandered back into his empty store.

Pawn shops? "Buyer and seller beware" jus' about covers it I figure :p

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho

Funny that you mention that. One of the things he said to me was that his business was successful because he know how to price items.

I asked around and apparently the business has been there for over 5 years. His business is doing so well, I have driven past it dozens of times and never know it was there.

I think the owner mistook my concerns for the bike as me trying to haggle him down on price. Not that I am against haggling by any means.

I just don't want to open a paper next month and find a death caused by motorized bicycle.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

It'll take someones death to change that. Then the gov'ment will make a law that'll fix that. It happens with everything. Just like the casey anthony case.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

All of the ones I see parked outside the Winn Dixie and other stores look rigged together too ! :)

The nice ones are in pictures online :)

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho

I take pride in my bike and I think it looks rather nice. Only thing left that I want to change is getting rid of the small crate on the rack in back and putting on a nice looking cargo carrier of some sort.

I have a couple ammo cans I was considering mounting, but haven't decided how to make them look good.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

I take pride in my bike and I think it looks rather nice. Only thing left that I want to change is getting rid of the small crate on the rack in back and putting on a nice looking cargo carrier of some sort.

I have a couple ammo cans I was considering mounting, but haven't decided how to make them look good.
No doubt :)

I think most members of this forum do ! :)

We are a small % for sure of the motorized bicycles owners out there.

They are a bad pawn shop for sure.

Find a good one and they will get your return business. :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

What is it with the bikes in pawn shops and resale shops? Jeez! You guys aren't the only ones to see this. In the course of following my wife to some of the resale and consignment shops looking for cute babies' and kids' clothes, I would see a used (and often beat-up) kids bike for up to $10 more than Wally World would sell it for (same make & model). One time, I was looking at a 16 inch for my daughter, then I noticed that, despite the scratches and a rather worn seat, they wanted $79 for it. Toys R Us had the EXACT SAME bike for $68 - not on sale! And Toys R Us is often more expensive than Wally World.

I've been to Pawn Shops, and they aren't any better here either. (???)

And as others have learned, they are not inclined to listen when you try to help them realize that their pricing methods are counterproductive. "We gotta make a profit" they usually say to me in a huff.

Last edited:

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho

To be honest, I don't understand the business model they are using. If I built a bike, it being brand new I would expect a profit. If I were to sell my daily commuter, I would be happy to get my cost, and my bike is in really good shape.

I guess preying on suckers who don't know better is a viable business model.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I guess one can think of oneself as being in good shape if he knows where to get a good bike at a good price, and where not to get a questionable bike at a deplorable price.

I believe that's half the battle there.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

You must remember, we basically work under the free enterprise system. What ever he wants for the bike is up to him. You know he doesn't know about motored bicycles, or if he does he acting dumb. Yes there will be some unsuspecting customer that will pay that price. If and when I go into a pawn shop and see the inflated prices, they saw my face for the last time. I don't waste any time discussing a item. He probably bought the bike, NOT knowing what it is really worth (in that condition) and has to turn a profit. Telling him that the price is too high, or pointing out the problems...you think he really cares. Basically pawn shops are a rip off and customers don't know what the price of the SAME item would be new, or on the open market.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Always remember he is the seller and you are the buyer.Say no thanks and move on.
Oh, I do. I always do. I guess most such places can afford to keep the item and stand firm on the price until the sucker comes along.

As for me: why buy anything used at an inflated price when I can get the exact same one new for less?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

As a business owner I was always more than happy to discuss the particulars of product value and pricing with any potential customer. While many either obviously didn't have a clue and/or were trying to negotiate it was still an invaluable opportunity, a resource for gauging the actual current market value of my products and their demand.

To be complacent, to simply accept what appears to be horridly inflated pricing w/o even a polite inquiry does everyone a disservice. You'll never know if they were an honest but misguided business owner or a gouging SOB, if they're the latter you'll be able to tell with but a few moments of polite conversation and thus enlightened - able to caution others. If they're the former, your queries and input may serve to assist them - for all you know, they may have been taken advantage of. Contrary to the image they need to present to insure consumer confidence, many business owners are incredibly, even stunningly naive when it comes to the particulars of their own products, most particularly if their wares are as diverse and variable as in this particular example.

Sure, pawn shops and extortion are almost traditionally synonymous - but if you never ask, if you passively accept w/o question whatever any business chooses to demand out of some misunderstanding of the free enterprise system and how it works, a perhaps misguided respect for the retailer over the consumer - you're simply empowering those that strive to swindle.

Never forget that retailers are "employed" by you, the consumer. Their storefront, their stock, their employees - everything is bought and paid for by your continued goodwill and willingness to purchase, the business you and others like you are willing to conduct with them. This is the one truth that is first to be forgotten by any business owner and one they would really rather you forgot as well.

Simply querying never hurt anyone that didn't deserve the repercussions.