PUll Start for 2-strokers

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I was looking into a pull-start add-on for 2-stroke motors when I wasn't supposed to be putting any force on my right leg while the skin graft healed.
With a Jackshaft the bike don't help, the pedal cranks are a kickstart.

BikeBerry has one for $35 so I looked it over.

Considering the way it is shaped it must replace the front left magneto cover.
And judging by the grip, you stand in front of the bike and pull it with your right hand.

But then I read the IMPORTANT note: "Adds 1.75" to motor width"

A quick measure of the two bikes I have here and that is a full 1" or more wider than the pedal cranks.

Unless your motor is mounted way high or way forward chances are your pedals won't turn without one of the following:

1. Get a wider crank Shaft.
2. Raise your motor.
3. Or get some really short pedal crank arms.

I suppose real short cranks wouldn't matter too much when you don't have to pedal to start it, and you would get more 'pedal down' road clearance, but the thought of having to pedal any real distance would really be a bummer.

Personally I'll pass for now, but at least you have a heads up with what is involved.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
I was looking into a pull-start add-on for 2-stroke motors when I wasn't supposed to be putting any force on my right leg while the skin graft healed.
With a Jackshaft the bike don't help, the pedal cranks are a kickstart.

BikeBerry has one for $35 so I looked it over.

Considering the way it is shaped it must replace the front left magneto cover.
And judging by the grip, you stand in front of the bike and pull it with your right hand.

But then I read the IMPORTANT note: "Adds 1.75" to motor width"

A quick measure of the two bikes I have here and that is a full 1" or more wider than the pedal cranks.

Unless your motor is mounted way high or way forward chances are your pedals won't turn without one of the following:

1. Get a wider crank Shaft.
2. Raise your motor.
3. Or get some really short pedal crank arms.

I suppose real short cranks wouldn't matter too much when you don't have to pedal to start it, and you would get more 'pedal down' road clearance, but the thought of having to pedal any real distance would really be a bummer.

Personally I'll pass for now, but at least you have a heads up with what is involved.
i tried one it sucks get ready for blisters and they failed me tried twice just to see you have too take the lock washers off stator setup and the materials are far from quality just my experiences

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've used them and yes, you need to remove the lock washers as stated above for clearance. I've had OK experience with them. No, they aren't very good quality, just like the motor.
SB