39.5 mph trying to break 40

GoldenMotor.com

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I'm interested to see what the yada yada yada clocks you at.
I just clocked my speed with the gps. the wal mart bell brand speedo was actually fairly accurate.

the gps was about .5mph slower under 20mph and about 1.5mph slower at full speed.

granted I couldn't just stare at the gps in my hand while I was riding, but I would be willing to set the 39.5 mph to an OCD adjusted 38 mph.

does that make everybody happy?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
? My speed readings have not exceeded 25, I am unsure if they are accurate because I have not measured to travel of my wheel for the input and just used the standard setting. My speedo is there because it was a neat gift. My top speed is what I am comfortable with.

What I am uncomfortable with is the negativity. I will take one for his word, unless it is so outragous as to be believable.

Becareful with the GPS vtec......you are right, it is difficult at times to use while riding, and at those speeds I would want to concentrate on keeping the shiny side up..duh.
what's negative about implying that your device functions properly?

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
OK here is grandpa hippy Kenny's super hot fuel recipe; first get clear unleaded 87 octane ( no ethenol) in Oregon I have to go to the fuel distributor where they sell racing gas etc. Because all gas sold at the pump must have at least 10% ethenol.
So start with 87 octane clear unleaded, my motor is kind of fresh so once the rings seated I switched from regular 2 stroke oil to Amsoil Sabre 2 stroke, I'm running 20:1 right now so that is 6.25oz. oil per gallon, and 4 oz of model airplane fuel (30% nitromethane, 10% castor oil) Be very careful with this stuff it has far more bang than gas. Mix vigorously like a good martini. and wha-la poof you got 20:1 hippy kenny's hillbilly lightning. This will give you an extra 5 MPH easy, but be careful mixing, storing and riding this type of rocket fuel.

I cruz 25-30 all the time once hit 42 on the flats but thats way to fast for a bike, I have a mechanical speedo and I've used a car to ensure accuracy. But you will go right up the hills with Hippy Kenny's Hillbilly Lighning fuel mix. Some folks do rich'n up the carb to help the nitro burn better but my setting seems fine with 20:1. I'll probably go 25:1 next tank with my oil.

1 gallon 87 octane clear unleaded
6.25 oz Amsoil Sabre
4 oz model airplane fuel 30/10
(you obviously need a can that holds more than a gallon.)dance1

Last edited:

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
OK here is grandpa hippy Kenny's super hot fuel recipe; first get clear unleaded 87 octane ( no ethenol) in Oregon I have to go to the fuel distributor where they sell racing gas etc. Because all gas sold at the pump must have at least 10% ethenol.
So start with 87 octane clear unleaded, my motor is kind of fresh so once the rings seated I switched from regular 2 stroke oil to Amsoil Sabre 2 stroke, I'm running 20:1 right now so that is 6.25oz. oil per gallon, and 4 oz of model airplane fuel (30% nitromethane, 10% castor oil) Be very careful with this stuff it has far more bang than gas. Mix vigorously like a good martini. and wha-la poof you got 20:1 hippy kenny's hillbilly lightning. This will give you an extra 5 MPH easy, but be careful mixing, storing and riding this type of rocket fuel.

I cruz 25-30 all the time once hit 42 on the flats but thats way to fast for a bike, I have a mechanical speedo and I've used a car to ensure accuracy. But you will go right up the hills with Hippy Kenny's Hillbilly Lighning fuel mix. Some folks do rich'n up the carb to help the nitro burn better but my setting seems fine with 20:1. I'll probably go 25:1 next tank with my oil.

1 gallon 87 octane clear unleaded
6.25 oz Amsoil Sabre
4 oz model airplane fuel 30/10
(you obviously need a can that holds more than a gallon.)dance1
lol... you're slightly crazy aren't you?

thanks for the fuel recipe though... sounds pretty cool.

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas
come on guys, the speedo was of acceptable quality and in working order.

ever seen this before???
Sorry....I deleted my posts that caused this. It was my misunderstanding and stupidity that caused it.

Glad to see that you are having fun with it......any shaking or anything scary about going fast on these? I never really tried to get above 25.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Sorry....I deleted my posts that caused this. It was my misunderstanding and stupidity that caused it.

Glad to see that you are having fun with it......any shaking or anything scary about going fast on these? I never really tried to get above 25.
lol... no it isn't. this is an online forum.... it's almost guaranteed to happen no matter what. don't feel bad.

yeah... I'm having fun with it. I got the shifting down, I keep up with traffic up to about 35. it's amazing what a difference a well tuned pipe makes in terms of respect... I used to get laughed at on this bike.... now I get people pacing me, thumbs up, smiles, kids yell out "nicebike", etc. some dude even threw me the shocker out the window of a new gti hatchback.

not really much shaking cause everthing is bolted down pat... I highly (and I will repeat highly) recommend a really good cro-Molly frame though. I always read about, but never noticed how flexible good cro-Molly is. the whole bike itself flexes under the stress like a big shock... making it a much smoother ride than high tension steel. Im still going to buy a set of front shocks when I find a good pair.

it's scary as h3ll though... wouldn't recommend for anybody with a pacemaker or back problems.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
adding to the above post, the BIGGEST thing to worry about when going fast on a bike, is the bike itself.

if the motor can't handle it, most likely it'll blow a headgasket, break the rings, crack the piston or take on some other form of self-destruction, but it's unlikely that it'll explode between your legs or instantly sieze and lock up.

you'd probably end up coasting to a grinding halt. if it was some sort of intense siezure, you could come skidding to a stop, but i can't recall that ever happening to anyone.

now, if your frame cracks in half, or your forks break in two, or your wheels break apart, or your fenders (or anything else) get caught in your wheels, or... well, you get the picture, you're gonna hit the ground the same time as the rest of your bike. immediately.

and that ain't gonna be pretty.

if you plan on going fast, you need to build a bike that can take it. and yes, it's possible. after years of watching American Choppers on TV, strengthwise, i'd put my bicycles up against any one of their hammered on, drilled out, bent-to-fit, cobbled together show bikes anyday.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
adding to the above post, the BIGGEST thing to worry about when going fast on a bike, is the bike itself.

if the motor can't handle it, most likely it'll blow a headgasket, break the rings, crack the piston or take on some other form of self-destruction, but it's unlikely that it'll explode between your legs or instantly sieze and lock up.

you'd probably end up coasting to a grinding halt. if it was some sort of intense siezure, you could come skidding to a stop, but i can't recall that ever happening to anyone.

now, if your frame cracks in half, or your forks break in two, or your wheels break apart, or your fenders (or anything else) get caught in your wheels, or... well, you get the picture, you're gonna hit the ground the same time as the rest of your bike. immediately.

and that ain't gonna be pretty.

if you plan on going fast, you need to build a bike that can take it. and yes, it's possible. after years of watching American Choppers on TV, strengthwise, i'd put my bicycles up against any one of their hammered on, drilled out, bent-to-fit, cobbled together show bikes anyday.
i totally agree.

that hard rock ultra is a very well built bike. it's old school cro molly frame is better than many frames made today... especially the ones from china. it has shimano brakes, hubs, and derailers..... and it has Japanese made araya rims.

do not try any of this on your wal mart bike....

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
I don't think my hillbilly lightning fuel recipe would make a motor go boom, but it probably wouldn't be the greatest for sitting at idle in 110 degree Tucson traffic in the summer. It does run a little hotter than normal fuel. Good luck with the 50mph club, we could call it the 1/2 ton up club eh? I agree that cromolly frames are probably the best and logest lasting for speed applications. Good luck and try to be safe.