Bike ran great when muffler fell apart, runs very slow with muffler

GoldenMotor.com

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
When my muffler was off my bike, it went real fast and pulled nice and hard up hills. Now that I repaired the muffler and put it back on, the bike is very slow and doesn't make enough power to get me up hills.

What's the problem here?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
When my muffler was off my bike, it went real fast and pulled nice and hard up hills. Now that I repaired the muffler and put it back on, the bike is very slow and doesn't make enough power to get me up hills.

What's the problem here?
With your muffler removed you have removed all back pressure. Which most likely also caused your motor to run lean which eventually will kill your motor.

Look into getting a tuned pipe if you would like some performance back.

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow, this must be a severe deficiency in the factory muffler design in that case. The performance is absolutely awful with the muffler on. It can't even pull me up a hill compared to the same hill with no muffler going 25-30 mph.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take the baffle out for a improvement in power without making it too loud. A tuned pipe with the carb set up right is the best way to go for improved overall power and running.

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Take the baffle out?

My muffler canister is made up of 3 pieces. The endcap bolts to a piece of allthread that is welded to the baffle inside... not sure how to go about that.