HAIL! from California.

GoldenMotor.com

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
Glad to be here. been lurking for some time. reading alot. A little about me. I love cycling and did it often in fact I was my sole means of transportation thats how much I liked it. I got too hard to maintain the physical condition I needed cycling all the time so I got a coulple of these engines and here I am. Hello everybody.(^)

I have two engines set up on steel framed road bikes.
yes the ones with the 27" super skinny tires
and yes I still have the drop down handlebars rotfl

I changed to thicker gauge spokes however, tied and soldered them with 20 gauge galvanized steel wire, for added rigidity.

ok thats all I can think of and thanks for having me :ride2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Tell me this since i tried to do a 3 speed with those skinny tires and it threw me all over the place on rough pavement, is it more stable if you stiffen up the wheels.

by the way welcome aboard the SS Minnow...

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
Yes! Unbelievably more stable!

if you have super thin spokes, you need to get the thicker spokes like the ones used on any regular bike, use a good 20 gauge galvanized steel wire and solder or glue.

tying the spokes will allow you to take on potholes without fear of making a taco of your rim, actually the walls will bend before the wheel gets oval.

tying also keeps you from having to true your rims as often. maybe 1 instead of 3 times without during the same time frame.

my sprocket chain fell into the bike while riding got stuck on the spokes. nothing happened, didnt even need to retrue. :)

zip-ties do absolutely nothing except hold the spokes once they break, needs wire

I'll take pictures and find out how to post them

I put the kit together I first tried to keep the original super thin racing spokes, with thin copper wire salvaged from speaker cable to tie the spokes. well.... my derailuer, and chain tensioner got caught in the spokes and they snapped like spagghetti sticks.:(

Oh and deacon I read your blog and I actually thought it was real. Man I thought "this guy has the most interesting life" then I figured out it was fiction but man your writing style is entertaining. Have you gotten published.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome astronut and glad to have you with us. this old back could not handle bending over rideing with the down turn handle bars. i imagine you get more speed because i do if i lay on the handle bars. glad to have you with us

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
Welcome! I am very interested in this "Spoke Tying" please Show us how.
OK I will!! (^)

I am exhausted just now. I have pm'd norman asking him questions about posting pictures. I will take them tomorrow and hopefully they will be up by then. Not much to it really.....but you'll see :) .

Ok bye see ya soon! (p)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
thanks for reading the blog... I write conversationally and it isn't what publishers want. I have a ton of novels laying about and the blog will probably become one as well. Yeah I'm a republican but Hilary Clinton and I have something in common when we do fiction it sounds real. LOL..

check in on the blog now and then it might get interesting but to be honest I write a day at a time and have no idea where it is going.

Yes since I threw a chain and made pasta of my spokes I would like to know about the wire thing as well. I'm running a 24 spoke kids 20" rear wheel on the old Transylvainia Chopper and I need to stiffen it for sure.

I'm going to run the same wheel on the Weed wacker when I finally get the parts in and if I can make it run. Welcome again and I think one of the neet things about this site is that we are a community of experimenters. AND we share....

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Welcome to the forum if you got questions we will answer or lie so good you will think its the truth.rotfl
Just kidding. hope you enjoy this forum and at least my sick sort of humor.
Norman

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
sorry I've been gone, but I am home now and starting to post the pictures. sorry for the delay.

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
OK all done here

http://motorbicycling.com/f31/how-tie-spokes-780.html#post7793

yes cruiser you get plenty more speed and it does get you tired specially on the long rides. but I just keep the baffle on now because its noisy (dont want to get these things banned with a bad reputation). well that and I broke one frame :-|| It seriously vibrates a lot more, and hitting a pot hole going that fast did my cheap frame in. it broke at the seatstays I might post a picture so you can see. should I post it here or under the removing baffle thread?

nogoodnic: I am gonna have to apologize on that one. I dont have the big roadbike frames anymore. after I broke the cheaper one I just decided to take the kit off the the other nicer one as well. I posted a pic on the tutorial with that bike but unfurtunately it did not have the dropdowns at that point, so it doesnt look so cool. sience then I have put the kits on hybrid frames that have seatstays that go directly into the back of the seat tube like regular bikes, instead of the sides like most roadbikes. still has road bike tires and rims and the speed has not dropped much at all. I will post pictures

deacon: I cant sign your blog like you asked there a while back but I posted because I wanted to let you know that I for one read it and like it. keep it up thanks (^)

ok bye guys :ride2: