Homelite Weed Whacker Backpressure

GoldenMotor.com

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Hello to all! I just got my hands on a nearly off the shelf Homelite 2 stroke 26cc weed whacker from Craigslist ($20!!! What a find!!) and am looking into making it quieter. I will probably start by cutting open the stock muffler and looking at how the baffles are arranged before going any further. I want to stuff the stock muffler with stainless steel wool or muffler pack but I don't know how that will affect the back pressure... If anyone has made a killer or at least better muffler for a weed whacker, I would love to see a picture or hear from you! Thanks!

P.S. If this thread should be in the Intake/exhaust section, feel free to let me know or move it.

P.P.S. Is it a bad idea to try to make a custom muffler for this dinky little engine? Will it mess with its running too much?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
jax, it's an excellent idea to make a custom pipe for that motor!
.... all the parts will be small, ez to weld, and make changes to.

I have not built one, but I have gotten a number of them running, when they would not start, because the exhaust muffler/spark arrestor screen were plugged up.

just about anything you do to make it quieter will diminish the available horsepower very quickly. and cause it to run hotter and possibly fail, for that reason alone.

almost anything you do to improve exhaust flow will improve horsepower produced because the mufflers are so restrictive to begin with.

Have fun with your new toy!
rc

Need For Steve

Oct 5, 2013
North Carolina
I'm building a Homelite friction bike with a 25cc Bandit motor, and have wondered the same thing about the exhaust. It seems like the best way to quiet them down is to buy a China Girl pipe and retro-fit it, but it may not be all that quieter...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The Homelite motor is well supported by the aftermarket in the Radio control hobby world.
You can find some seriously sick tuned pipes for your engine by looking at RC boat parts.
Want more? How cool would a water-cooled cylinder and head be? They make them.
All the performance you could ever want for the homelite is a google away....