Help!!! Major issue

GoldenMotor.com

Aric

Aug 8, 2013
maine
Ok so iv been building up my cranny everything went smooth until the chain it barley fit over the cog an the chain itself has been rubbing inside the clutch cover I dremmeled it out still chain noise an the chain has an issue with riding freely over the cog should I file off the points on the cog any suggestions would be great Ty 66 cc ht thick 415 kit chain

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are the sprockets aligned? The drive, engine sprocket, must be aligned with the rear sprocket and the chain must be in a straight line between the two. If they are offset and the chain runs at an angle between them you'll have the problems you describe.

We always suggest smoothing the sprocket teeth, especially the rear sprocket before installing it and if the engine sprocket has rough edges those need to be taken off too.

Chain tension is as important as alignment. You'll want 1/2" to 3/4" of slack. If the chain is too tight it'll run rough and be noisy. Too loose and it can bunch up around the engine sprocket and/or derail. Lubrication is needed also. A dry chain will be rough and noisy.

If you're using a chain tensioner it also must be perfectly aligned with the sprockets and chain. That usually requires that the tensioner bracket be bent/twisted a little to get the tensioner wheel to align with the chain path.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I always grind the teeth of my sprockets. Note also that a new chain fits pretty badly until it has run for a few miles - it will get longer & wider as the rough machining smooths out.

In a 110 link chain, you have 220 link pins - if each smooths out 1/1000 inch of roughness, the chain will be at least 1/4 inch longer. Unlike good motorcycle chain where the parts are polished before assembly, I believe these are just stamped out & pressed together rough.

Aric

Aug 8, 2013
maine
Sweet my alignment is perfect my tear sprocket is fine but the cog wheel is a ill rough good to know it will stretch a bit wich is exactly what it needs ill smooth over the cog teeth after work y'all are the best

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just an afterthought but something to check also. The kit chains can be twisted or have binding links. Slowly pull the chain over your finger and watch that all the rollers and side plates move freely with no binds or kinks.

If at some point you want to upgrade to a better chain a #41 industrial roller chain is your best alternative to the kit supplied #415. Some industrial chain will say they are "pre-stretched" which means that they have been subjected to a weighted force to properly seat all of the components so there is less 'loosening' of the new chain when first installed.
Chains don't actually stretch, they wear, but a new chain will show slack quickly if they have not been 'pre-strtched' at the factory.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a single link binding can often be loosed up with a bit of pentrating oil & a lot of wiggling by hand

if a master link is too tight, just file on plate a bit thinner

Aric

Aug 8, 2013
maine
I think it is the master two hours I'll have more details y'all are awesome lovin the feedback

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've had a few engines that have had the teeth catch a little on the engine sprocket... I just started them up & rode them until the sprocket wore down a little.

It might not be the best way to solve the problem, but it was easy & those bikes still run fine. ;) :rolleyes: