operating temperature?

GoldenMotor.com

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
My bike recently is acting little wierd as the weather starts to get cold about 50~70 F.
it will start easily. but idle won't last very long and will quit after couple of minutes. also bogs a lot when i open the throttle with clutch disengaged.

once I get the motor up to about 250F. it will idle fine but as engine temperature drops to about 190F. the idle will die again.

is this normal for these engines?

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Its chinease, aircooled, and a 2 stroke, its tempermental by nature. I would say go to a hotter plug. In winter i run a hotter plug than in summer, if your still running the stock plug go to napa or oreily or what have you and get 3 new plugs, a ngk b5hs b6hs and b7hs try them all and see what runs better. The 5hs is the hottest and the 7 is the coolest. Here in az i run a 6 in winter and a 7 in summer but it dosent get that cold in winter here so you might need a 5. If your already running an aftermarket plug just try a hotter one, hopefully you can keep it running a bit smoother. hope that helps.

-ben

MoreBloodWine

Oct 9, 2012
Meadville, Pa
I have NGK b7hs
I am suspecting this problem has something to do with my Jaguar CDI.
I think the CDI is damaged from my electricity running thought my frame.
If you mean you drilled holes to run the wires to hide em then that very well could be your issue. If it is, I'd bet that if you checked all the wires you might find a scrape from the frame that goes through the sheathing to the copper wire and that's where it's shorting.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
I finally figured out what was wrong with my bike.
It was the SPARK PLUG!!!
the TRUSTED NGK B7HS spark plug was defective!!!
the spark plug must have had small crack at the porceline part which made the spark run though the entire bicycle.
as soon as i changed the spark plug, it idles fine, revs fine like it should be!
I could never imagine that a bad spark plug could electrocute you at your finger tips!
shame on you NGK, the Trusted Japanese brand failed me big time!!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The spark plug firing end temperature must be kept low enough to prevent pre-ignition, but high enough to prevent fouling. This is called “Thermal Performance”, and is determined by the heat range selected.