Electrical problems (i think)

GoldenMotor.com

martinjstn

Jul 6, 2012
MD
So i bought the bike the other day from some guys. it would not start, but when they would try to start it it would do like a little sputter and die...

so i took it home and cleaned out the carb real good. changed the plug to a champion (.25 gap) and changed the boot and wire to sick bike parts kit, and also put new lines/filter/gas/oil..

I try to start it now, and nothing... not even a sputter. i put starting fluid in.. nothing.. not even a sputter, yet again..

I do understand how to test the stuff(http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35090) but does the bike have to be running to do those tests? or does the tester thingy run the voltage through it to check the ohms?

any advice would be awesome

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The meter supplies the voltage needed to check the parts, you also can check the output voltage of the white wire after you get it running. Be sure to read the info included with the meter, some are different from others. If you don't get a reading on one scale try another setting, 20k 200k etc.

martinjstn

Jul 6, 2012
MD
MAGNITO
black and white wire- 2.4
blue and white- nothing

CDI
nothing..

do i have a bad cdi and magnito??

did try the connections for the magnito, right at the soder point, as well as at the ends of the wire. still nothing for the black and white.

and i tried all the different combinations for the cdi.. nothing

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You can replace both for 26$ shipped on ebay, if either turns out good you will have a spare. I have a spare of each, also a spare carb.

martinjstn

Jul 6, 2012
MD
ok guys i got a new magnito+coil+wire+boot+plug. still no start, not even a sputter with stater fluid. any advice????

martinjstn

Jul 6, 2012
MD
no major air leaks i took it apart and sealed it all up the first day. and the key is in and good. also, the ring is good, i can feel it has necessary compression to at least get some explosion. its not like its so bad it would have 0 compression

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Take the plug out and plug it back in the boot then hold the plug on the head and push the bike around, you should be able to see the plug fire.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
ok guys i got a new magnito+coil+wire+boot+plug. still no start, not even a sputter with stater fluid. any advice????
First I'd check for spark from the coil. Disconnect the coil wires from the CDI. Remove the spark plug, hook up a meter on the two wires you disconnected from the CDI. Take a electric drill and fit a 14Mmm socket over the magnet nut and spin clockwise. (I use a 1/4" drive handle without the plastic handle). With the meter set to DV 12V, check the output. You can use a 12V light bulb instead of a meter.

I used a 12v LED from Radio Shack.

Last edited:

martinjstn

Jul 6, 2012
MD
ran all the testss. had spark but the guy at the store gapped it to .3 not .2 like i asked. so i regapped it to .22 and it runs like a champ, what a fun little toy!