MIG or TIG? this is so cool...

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
There's this place called TechShop that's opening in my area. It's a dream garage that runs on a membership basis, like a gym. CNC machines, milling equipment, mold injectors, powder-coat booth, woodworking, electronics lab, computer/CAD lab, 3D scanners & printers, laser engraving, crazy hi-pressure "water saw" things....drool....you get the idea. And they have really affordable classes to teach you how to use all this stuff. And they have a shop for materials. And experts who can help you with your projects. (I'm assuming there are also naked ladies to give you sandwiches, beer, & backrubs, but I'm not sure about that part....)

So, for Christmas, my buddy got us a couple of trial memberships that come with 2 free classes each. The classes certify you to use the shop's equipment. I'm taking basic metal. For my 2nd class, of course I want to learn to weld. But I'm not sure what would serve me best....TIG or MIG?

I want to build bike frames.....& other contraptions as they occur to me. What are the pros & cons? Which system is more cost-effective? Is one or the other more flexible (as far as what you can do with it)?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You are a lucky dog to have that close by. I had mentioned to one of my friends how cool it would be to have a co-op like that in an old warehouse, you pay a rental fee to use the equipment.

Keep us updated and if you can take some pictures of....?... the girls...lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
TIG or MIG? That depends on how much welding you plan to do. TIG is my choice for thick and thin materials but I've been doing it for a long time. To stay proficient at TIG welding you'll have to keep in practice. It's sort of like riding a bike; once learned you'll always be able to do it but if you're away from it for a while you'll get rusty.

MIG is easier to learn and stay good at even with limited experience. The equipment is typically cheaper than TIG also.

Each type has its place and use. If I were building bike frames I'd go for the cleaner look of a TIG weld. Nevertheless, a MIG machine that uses a shielding gas can make some darn nice looking beads once you've mastered the technique.

As for your rent-a-shop, you are a lucky man. Every city should have somethjing like that. It's not a new concept. When I was in the Air Force back in the sixties, most larger air bases had something similar but it was free to G.Is.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I had a MIG ticket (GMAW3G if it matters), and trained on a TIG and a stick welder as well. As 2door says, TIG is excellent but it takes a lot of practice to do it well and a very steady hand, and a lot of practice to stay good at it. It takes less time to get good at MIG, but with practice you can do nice work with them. Creating ugly work with spatter with a MIG is much easier than it is with a TIG.

Again, 2door covered anything else I might add.

Except that I'd kill to have a place like that within range of me, especially if they have the people that I can explain what I see in my mind to, that can then help me turn it into solid form.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Take the TIG class. There's a lot of stuff you'll miss or simply learn how to do wrong if you try to figure it out by yourself. Anyone can pull a trigger on a gun; it takes real skill to TIG. There are also no limitations to what you can TIG.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
so, what I'm hearing is that MIG is easier to master, & TIG is more useful and gives better results. That about right?

The classes are cheap enough that I'll be able to take both eventually. I've got about a month to decide. I never thought I'd have access to this stuff, so I don't actually have any projects planned lol gotta come up with something.

Yeah, I'm still crapping my pants about the TechShop. Every day I found out something new. They've got brainstorming booths with whiteboards all around, they offer help/advice with patenting, & they even offer presentation rooms where you can take potential investors to show 'em what you're up to. This is the 4th one they've built, & they already have plans to expand it. Two of the others are in CA. Hopefully there'll be more soon. I imagine once people get wind of this it's gonna be the next big thing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Would you care to share the name of the promoters of this TechShop? They might be interested in hearing from others around the country.

Tom

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
(btw....I didn't write the text for those links. I just posted the link, & somehow it calls that text up from their website, I guess. I even tried changing the code in my post, but it still comes up that way. I just don't want to be accused of spamming...)

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
TIG welding is want you want to learn to separate yourself from every other monkey, MIG is something that can be learned in a few minutes easily.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
I've been gone a while since I've been to the boards.....got a lot of catching up to do.

My temp membership starts tomorrow at TechSpot. Basic metalworking class. It's 2.5 hrs, I'll make a bottle opener, & it gives me access to the biggest part of the ..."campus"... or whatever you'd call it.

I should be TIG welding in the next couple weeks. I think I'm gonna make a triple tree front end for the Flying Fart if I'm able to get the time & money to come together. Anybody got a rough price range I should expect to pay for the materials to make a cheapie set?