Entertaining Info about Cheap Wallyworld Bike

GoldenMotor.com

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
I own a mongoose atb that walmart offers its customers xr200 model. i bought it second-hand from a craigslist ad. But today as I was pulling this thing home from work, I felt like I had to use a lot of force literally pulling myself home. So i get home and the first thing I do is snapped off the quick release to see if the front hub needed some overhauling, and i brought it inside the house for inspection... Lo and behold, when I disassemble the front hub what do i find???

First off, there was WAY too much grease in there, forming globules and unnecessary amount of lubrication to slow down the bike. And if that wasn't the kicker enough, one side of the hub was missing a bearing! So there's 9 on the left side and 8 on the right side... Hmmm, I see how Wal-mart keeps them coming back for more with their price "rollbacks" and so-forth -- just neglect putting a bearing in the front hub!! And yes, I did inspect using the light of a desk lamp to see whether one of the bearings came loose and was just rolling around inside the axle area of the hub but NO it wasn't. It simply was missing!

So what do i do next? I go inside the garage and find the old one-piece cotterless crank from my old royce union which had a nice set of caged bearings if i remember correctly, and I did so phew i was really relieved when I saw they were the same size as the front hub bearings in the mongoose. So I just bent the cage and popped one out so I can use it on the front hub...

.bf.

I will go ahead and add the missing bearing and give the bike a test around the block to see if that was what caused the incredible onset of exhaustion from pedaling my bike.
-ivan

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I walked in to Walmart in Florida the other day and I saw about 3 or 4 workers building/assembling bicycles. I like it when I walk in a place and people are working and not just standing around............

I have a Gary Fisher MTB I've been riding on, but my skills at building motorbicycles is not yet quite honed, so I didn't want to use this bike.

So I walked out of Walmart that day with a New Made In China Schwinn Blue Link Hybrid Bike. It Cost $159.00, and was assembled by American workers. They might have been drunk/street people, but at least they were not pan- handling, and they were providing a service. The assembly was right on.

I have been riding it and is smooth and I don't have to lean over like I did on a Mountain Bike. It has Suntour Front Shocks, Suntour Cranks, KMC chain, GripShift shifters.

I believe it is a great bang for the buck, and am happy with purchase.