• Other

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Ancient Chineese Secret

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
easy 1000km + i don't know about miles but my gussing mixture would be from 40-20 - 1 its not bad but good.

Just get on and ride it another 400 miles this weekend and if its still together, well....then tell us what you used to reach that 1000 mile milestone. Don't feel bad though because I will have to put on 700 miles on my bike before I get to offer my own 2 cents in my own thread.LOL

This thread was created not to alienate anyone..it was created for the high milage guys to share what they have done right so the thread becomes more about proven test results using these specific china engines rather then untested opinions on these specific engines.

What I had hoped for this thread that would be different then the other 10,000 threads on this subject is to weed out all the untested and unproven opinions. A new guy will only find confusion in those threads where everybody and anybody will tell you what works best. In my opinion, if you want to know what works best...then get all the "high mileage" guys together in one thread and lets us "low mileage" guys read what those guys are doing right to stretch alot of miles out of these HT China engines.

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
The poll has actually worked out pretty well and it appears from the results thus far that a conventional mix in the 32:1 to 40:1 range is a real popular mix that has worked out well to achieve high mileage. Of course it would be nice to know exactly what conventional 2 stroke oils were the most popular among those who are in that category of the poll.

It also appears that syn and other high performance oils are real popular in the 50:1 to 100:1 range. What is nice to see in my opionion is that there are several that have gotten alot of miles running 75:1 to 100:1. These ratios seem to make alot of guys timid, but there are guys here that are proof that engine can be quite happy running those ratios using a high performance oil suited to be mixed at those ratios.

Of course there are alot of factors the poll can't tell you. For example, it can't tell you what oil was used to break the engine in or how the engine was worked while breakin it in. There are 10000 different opinions for break-in and maybe the next poll should be "How did you guys with 1000 miles or more break in your engine"? As you can tell...I am really interested in the picking the brains of you "high mileage" guys.LOL

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It would be interesting to see the results of a break-in poll. I'm a firm believer in running my engines a little hard. I don't abuse them for the first two or three hundred miles but I don't baby them either. No WOT for miles but maybe a block or two.

You can either start a new thread or just see what others have to say here. Your choice, Roo.

Tom

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
can i still vote even if i don't have 1000??? just curious.. i do have over 1000 tho.. pretty damn sure... a year old daily driver... i use the Walmart stuff...its cheap....and i just eyeball it....i mix it in the gas when i fill up at the station =) i figure more is better than not enough.. probably runs a lil rich but eh.... its a good motor.. i have cleaned it a few times.. quite a bit of build up.......but i think its just a quality engine.. i got mine from DAEMON...49cc.....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
can i still vote even if i don't have 1000??? just curious.. i do have over 1000 tho.. pretty damn sure... a year old daily driver... i use the Walmart stuff...its cheap....and i just eyeball it....i mix it in the gas when i fill up at the station =) i figure more is better than not enough.. probably runs a lil rich but eh.... its a good motor.. i have cleaned it a few times.. quite a bit of build up.......but i think its just a quality engine.. i got mine from DAEMON...49cc.....

The above post, and CR500's should only go to prove that as crappy as the chinese engine is reputed to be, it's not.

Crude? yes. But like a lot of crude things, it will just keep going and going and going and......

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
as for break in.. i used the Walmart stuff... ran it 16:1... for 3 gallons... rode it real easy let everything find its place.. didn't run it hard at all.. just barely cruising.. after that i try to run 32:1.. once in a blue moon ill actually buy a gallon and mix it.. but i usually just fill up at the pump....eyeball it.... some times i skip the oil in the gas if i see it smoking =)

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
The above post, and CR500's should only go to prove that as crappy as the chinese engine is reputed to be, it's not.

Crude? yes. But like a lot of crude things, it will just keep going and going and going and......
Not trying to stick up for the Chineese lack of quality control or there lack of precision machine work ,but it has been my experience over many years of buying 2 stroke model airplane engines that they do continue to improve in quality given enough time and enough negative feedback.
I can remember some of the early China Tiger Shark engines and Magnum engines I bought several years ago that were pretty crudely made when compared to the high quality Japaneese O.S engines or even the Italian Super Tigres or American Fox engines. Now...some of the nicest running engines I own are some of the SK engines which are made by the same folks who previously made Tiger Shark and Magnum engines I own that were made in China. The machine work has come a long way and dependabillity and consistancy in production has gone way up. I think you will see the same thing happen with these Happy Time engines as time goes by. They will figure out the weak spots and improve those weak areas.

It is my opinion that when Americans or Japaneese build something...they try to catch the flaws at the door before it goes out into the public. The Chineese basicly use the buyer as there testing subjects or guinee pigs, which can really annoy the buyer if he or she happens to get one of there defective paper weights. However...the guinee pigs do serve there purpose because the chineese will improve there product over time based on feedback from the guinee pigs.

So one day when these engines are well constructed units that run like a swiss watch(maybe that is too much to hope for) we can thank all those guinee pigs who bought those early engines that needed to be improved upon. They will just continue to get better and better at the expense of annoyed customers so long as there is a market for them. I think you are probably starting to see some of that now with the some of the 2nd gen engines reported to have better bearings, better porting and more aftermarket options comming all the time to help improve dependabillity and performance.

In my opinion the HT engine will only get better as time goes by with more options and mods available as the engine and motor bicycling in general becomes more popular.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I really haven't seen much of an improvement in quality of the HT over the past 7 years I've been playing with HT engines.

I have seen an improvement in vibration but for some reason the smoother engines of today put out less power/torque of engines of yesterday.

Early engines had copper bushing on upper wrist pin bearing. I have never had one fail because I use castor oil in my blend but thsoe who used synthetic or straigth conventional oil were lucky to get 200 miles out of the bushing. I'll take the bushing anyday over roller bearing wrist pin bearing which tend to disintegrate spontanously and in my opionion, are less reliable.

The main improvements I've seen in past 7 years have been:
1. better clutch lever ( not an engine reliabilitly improvement)
2. Integrated kill switch in throttle ( not an engine reliabilitly improvement)
3. Slant head for more power but my first Kings motor bike engine with straight head could pull a 44 tooth geared bike up the steep hill by my house and no engine today can match this engine for power-or high vibration ;-)
4. Pull start was an improvement in method to start but it is a POS that fails after 3-4 pulls

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
After the Opti2 ruined my Dax GT50R Cag last year, I am happily back to riding my Golden Eagle with the Komatsu engine that uses Red Max 50:1 factory oil.

Jbomb

May 19, 2012
Wichita, KS.
I built my Grubee GT5 5 months ago, and just passed the 1100 mile mark. I used semi-synthetic for break-in at 24:1. I was not aware that dino oil is best for break in (according to some). After break-in (2 gallons), I switched to Amsoil Saber mixed at 50:1 and have never looked back. I have asked a lot from my engine, and it still runs strong. I am planning another build soon to specifically test longevity using Amsoil Saber exclusively. Thanks for the poll!
UPDATE: I am going to switch from 50:1 to 75:1 Amsoil Saber. The 50:1 ratio builds a lot of carbon on the piston and head. This is a concentrated oil for sure! Now at over 1,200 miles.
UPDATE 2: I found Amsoil Saber at 64:1 to be ideal. I just sold my bike and my odometer reading was 1,800+ miles. It was running the best it has ever ran. Time for the next build!

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
After another 500 trips to the Post Office I will get to do the poll and report my findings using my mix!LOL Sure running sweet now. Just hope she keeps it up so I can join the 1000 and over club.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
my motor has ticked over to 5000 miles now and has been running off and on for the last 5 years. been down to me driving my cars more, or from waiting on magnetos to come in, but shes been a constitant bike. i broke it in heavy at 16-1 on walmart cheapo oil for a gallon, then went to 32-1 mystic synthetic, once she got to about 3500 miles i started running a 4 ounce synthetic plus 1.5 ounce castor oil mix and ive been using 114 octane race fuel, not because it really needs it, but i dont run my smoker much and my fuel would go bad, but racing fuel, that will sit around a year or so before getting bad. also, two strokes love the lead in racing fuel. helps lubricate. ithink the thing that helped my motor last so long is atleast once a year i take her apart and clean out the carbon and varnish from the castor oil.

MeniacleMechanic

Sep 4, 2012
Virginia Beach Virginia
my motor has ticked over to 5000 miles now and has been running off and on for the last 5 years. been down to me driving my cars more, or from waiting on magnetos to come in, but shes been a constitant bike. i broke it in heavy at 16-1 on walmart cheapo oil for a gallon, then went to 32-1 mystic synthetic, once she got to about 3500 miles i started running a 4 ounce synthetic plus 1.5 ounce castor oil mix and ive been using 114 octane race fuel, not because it really needs it, but i dont run my smoker much and my fuel would go bad, but racing fuel, that will sit around a year or so before getting bad. also, two strokes love the lead in racing fuel. helps lubricate. ithink the thing that helped my motor last so long is atleast once a year i take her apart and clean out the carbon and varnish from the castor oil.

Nice. I just hit 1000 miles. Lotsa parts, welding, tweaking, testing, cursing, pedaling and this is over a 6 month period. i got 1000 miles out of one set of tires. treads still decent but the sidewalls are toasted.

lol, well, saving money for car and being broke temporarily ive been running some 2 year old gas we had pulled from another project. That and a heavy dose of oil about 28 - 33:1 and it runs like a champ. Smokes alot but it works fine.

At least until i can rebuild it.

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
just hit the 2000m mark runing amsoil around 24-1 to 32-1 never muser bikes done fine outher then the daly tire replacement do to durnouts

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
How about someone like me who just hit 1000 miles? I still run 24:1...should I decrease and run something like 50:1? My buddy runs cam2 which is racing fuel at 20:1...his bike screams loud and runs runs very well...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Im at about 1500 miles right now. Currently odo reads 600 but i accidently reset it once with 700 miles and once more with about 200. I have run a variety of oils. Started with cheap penzoil at about 25-1 then went to amsoil saber at 50-1 then later 100-1 and i realy liked that. I then ran cheap walmart stuff for 200 miles and now im running lucas oil semi synthetic and so far so good. Over all my favorite is the amsoil saber at 100-1 but this lucas oil at a little under 50-1 is pretty goid to.
-ben

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
i dont think i could run a mix that lean...i live in connecticut and currently the temp is 24 degrees f. im at about 24:1 with valvoline 2 stroke oil...it doesnt build up too much carbon and doesnt smoke...and is very readily available in my area...i do take suggestions tho so please keep them coming...and if anyone from ct happens to see this pm me and lets ride