Just finished my first build! PK-80 Cranbrook!

GoldenMotor.com

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Hello every one im John and I have been reading post on this website for about a month. I just got my PK-80 engine from Pirate Cycles thursday and from me reasearching this site enough I knew exactly how to put it on my hufffy cranbrook that i bought brand new on monday! some of the things ive done is get a better fuel line, slightly bend the muffler so my peddles wont hit it and zip tied cables and everything works great! starts right up after pedling up the drive way once! I didn't modify the engine at all just bolted it on and it started fine. Right now i am running it at 20:1 and im gonna do a few tanks of that then move to 24:1, then maybe 32:1. right now it seems to run perfectly fine except sometimes it four strokes a very little but other than that its good i am gonna wait to mess with the needle clip because i want to break it in more. So heres a picture of it! Let me know what you think!
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome John! Great to hear a happy....

Picture will show now. Part of the software of the forum requires you to have so many posts. Is an anti-spam thing.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Kinda a high when they first light off eh?

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
So my image will not appear? That's a bummer:( but yes it was so great when it first started I was so happy!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sweet looking ride John! The colors blend great too.

Really, really important, those fenders will try and kill you and your build soon! Not kidding. Please, please do a search. Some horror stories (one is my own) but lots and lots of fixes.

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Okay thanks! I think I will just remove the stock fenders for now and when I save up some more money I will buy some better fenders do you have any recommendations? Also should I put the chain guard on that came with my motor kit?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Am really glad to hear that about your fenders.

What happens is the very cheap and only bent tab on the front lets go due to vibration and a sand and salt bath from the tire. When it lets go, the fender goes around with the wheel and jams in the forks. The front stops abruptly but not the rider and the rest of the bike. Bad, bad day.

Just what I do, drill 4 holes in the fender and use U-bolts. There are some great methods used by other folks here and you can find what you would like best.

Underlined words are links.

In no way intended as advise but I don't use the kit chain guards.

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
welcome to the forum John... very nice lookin first build ya got there. well done

I have to agree with Dan on both accounts... you don't really have to get new fenders thou, just use better mounting brackets where they attach to the top of the forks and the rear just under the seat and i don't use the kit supplied chain guards either but if I had any younger riders on the ones i build I'd probly put it on.

again, well done... i really like the two tone color combination

minor criticizm... a preference thing really. I'd changer those hadlebars. I can't stand'em... some like them, some don't..... I don't, but like I said, it's preference thing really

peace & ride safe

Last edited:

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
In my opinion.... anything would be better than those :)
just make sure the hand grip area is long enough. I've had some that the straight length where the hand grips go was not long enough to fit the throttle and a hand brake... I bet some smaller high rise bars would look nice on that bike. Thats just my opinion thou, go with whatever feels/looks good to you.

Thats one of the great things about this hobby (customizing/personalizing)

Last edited:

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
great build, man. My bike started out pretty close to that. Then I got a newer front end (springer fork), better saddle, then upgraded (added) front brakes. Then came the handlebars, then the banana seat, added a speedometer, then the rear view mirror, and topped it off with a Manic Mechanic hub adapter.

It's a great hobby, and it's very very fun. You'll constantly look for new things to add or take off, different things upgrade. It's a lot of fun, it's pretty cheap, and people love to see you on it (as long as you're not zipping down the road trying to be mad max).

Enjoy..

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Nice work there John- bear in mind, the horror stories associated with the Huffy Cranbrook front fender hs to do with the pre 2010 models- single tab holding it to the fork. Very dangerouse. I would bet that your fender has a double-tab, front and back of the fork crotch. That's what's on mine. Been running the dogsnot out of it since 2010- still holds tight, even with the caliper brake held by the same bolt. And ALL of my bikes sport BOTH chain guards as well as both fenders... but you figure what you want, it is your machine. Personally, I would be more concerned about the ragmount...
the Old Sgt.usflg

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Okay thanks everyone! Also I think I have another problem where the cylinder cover goes on the head there is a slight gap it's a pretty big gap too almost the size of a dime ad you can see 3 of the studs and one of the sides is flat. I've been trying to get ahold of pirate cycles but no answer I'm getting kinda worried:(

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nice work there John- bear in mind, the horror stories associated with the Huffy Cranbrook front fender hs to do with the pre 2010 models- single tab holding it to the fork. Very dangerouse. I would bet that your fender has a double-tab, front and back of the fork crotch. That's what's on mine. Been running the dogsnot out of it since 2010- still holds tight, even with the caliper brake held by the same bolt. And ALL of my bikes sport BOTH chain guards as well as both fenders... but you figure what you want, it is your machine. Personally, I would be more concerned about the ragmount...
the Old Sgt.usflg
Gonna have to beg to differ on the fender issue ol' friend. If keeping the fenders on any bicycle to be motorized, it's just a good idea to shore up the fenders. $600 felt or wally world scratched up demo model. Just not made for what we put 'em threw.

Just my humble opinion and better to ere on the side of caution.

I might just be overly concerned and protective but after my face-plant all's I could think was that I had finally done it and Carol was gonna be feeding me with a spoon. The base ball sized lump between my hip and rib cage where I folded was there for a year.

The bike, an old green moondog, had a fender tab so beefy that I stopped checking it religiously.

Didn't mean to go on so long there but just didn't want some one reading this later to think that as they have an expensive bicycle or "good" tabs that they were immune. For every response to a post, at least 10 folks read it.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I was looking at that first pipe from BGF too, looks like a banana pipe (which supposedly makes good power in the high rpm range, but loud) with a longer headpipe and small muffler. I did a quick search and did not find anyone using it here.

At about $55 shipped, I would love it if that worked out to be a reasonable pipe. I am not holding my breath, though.

The second pipe should give you about the same amount of power as stock, but will put the muffler behind you so it will be a little quieter and look cool.

If you want more power, people seem to love the SBP pipe. You can tune the header length to give you power in various parts of the RPM range. Right now I have the "Speed Demon" pipe, which gave me the smallest amount of power increases for $50. If I had to do it over again, I would have spent that $50 elsewhere since the power bump was so small.

My issue with the SBP pipe is that for $85 for the chrome pipe (say $100 after shipping) I have a pipe with a copper section and silicon hoses holding it together. So after getting it tuned, I would need to run it down to someone who can weld and pay them to made a new headpipe for me to match what I cobbled together. So say another $50? So while I hear nothing but GREAT things about the SBP pipe, $150 is what I paid for the kit itself...

You could also look into Arrow Motorized Cycles. While I am not absolutely crazy about the high mounted nut burner style exhaust, they may grow on me. I might have to try one of those since they get away from me having to find a good welder...

Good luck!

Last edited: