Lawnmowerrecycler

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You'll probably find that your small engine and mechanical experience will be a plus when you start your first motorized bicycle project. Nevertheless there are aspects of this hobby that you might need some help and advice on. That's why wer're here.
Our search feature has pages of discussion and advice that will help and we're always here to answer specific questions.

Good luck and keep us informed on your project.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I think you will have a blast building a motorized bike with your experience.

gdurling

Sep 26, 2010
St John's, NL, Canada
Thanks guys.....I do have a question and it's regarding the use of a piston stop to torque the magneto nut as I'm concerned about damaging the piston. Has anyone had any experience using these.....if so was it good or bad. I used to use the rope method on 4-cycle engines but it catches in the ports of a 2-cycle engine so I am going to try bringing the piston up to within an inch of TDC before feeding the rope in. Any other ideas for torquing the nut effectively?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try a penny pinched between the primary and secondary gears on the right side of the engine. The penny won't damage the gears. Also be careful tightening that nut. The threads are only 10mm and not the hardest metal. Don't over do it. I wouldn't exceed about 150 to 160 inch pounds.

Tom

gdurling

Sep 26, 2010
St John's, NL, Canada
<Thanks for the tip 2door Iwill try it next time...pennies are scarce up here in Canada. The rope worked great but I only left 1/2 inch making sure piston was on the way up. I'll remember that about the threads though.

Last edited: