Are there any laws here in FL concerning bicycle cargo trailers?

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I've searched till my fingers are tired of clicking and typing and haven't found any laws concerning cargo trailers. I've only found laws on the FLDOT website about Adult cyclist towing trailers designed for carrying children. I would think that as long as it doesn't stick out into the road, and fits in the bike lane it should be fine but laws get interpreted in many different ways. At the end of April I'm goin' campin' and gonna ride my bike and wanna make sure its legal to tow a cargo trailer in a bike lane on a highway. Anybody got anything on this particular subject? Your help is always much appreciated. :)

Jesse James
usflg

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
In terms of a "basic" trailer, I don't think they'll give you a problem..'(As long as it's about the same size (re:width) as the bicycle.)

Technically speaking, the ones that carry children are pretty much the only non-registerable trailers allowed...
Unless it was specifically made for a bicycle (CSC rules apply), otherwise it's a "home made" "utility trailer"..

Utility trailers are required to be registered. They are required to
have operable brake lights, tail light and turn signals. In addition,
tag lights are required to be visible up to 50 ft and of a white color.

Also, a motorized trailer, might (depending on type of propulssion) need more...

What were you thinking of using?

Also, no wider than 100".. LOL...
Why not use the kind they use for kids? Those are generally big enough..

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Like the bike cargo trailers on amazon.com that are two wheeled. They are like only around 2 ft wide, 2ft long(not including the length of the hitch arm), and only stand 20" or so off the ground since they have 16" tires. I've been considering buyin' a kid carrier and converting it. I won't be carrying anything heavy. Just a sleeping bag, tent, my back pack, a tent, foldable cot(folds in half to like ~3ft), a tarp, maybe a small 1gal. tank of extra fuel, gas latern, some food/drinks, . I'll be carrying a Camelbak hydration pack on my back(70oz). My bike weighs more than what i'll be carryin' since i have a friction drive and china girl on it. I use the china girl for the dirty work, and the friction drive for the paved roads. Gonna go meet up with some friends in the sandhills on one of their hunting property and campout for the weekend.
Heres an example of what i'm talkin' about

Bicycle cargo trailer
http://www.amazon.com/Croozer-Desig...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1330524468&sr=1-2

Kid carrier
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-13-SC...bikes-scooters&ie=UTF8&qid=1330525612&sr=1-19

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Either of those would work. Lot's of used ones in good shape out there so look on your local Craigs List for one and go for it.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I'm sure they will bother me. cuz they enjoy harassing people and abusing their power. But I've been to court and i'll give them a copy of the dmv paper i used to win in court and all they'll be able to do is let me go on my way.