The chinese had fun with this CNS-V3

GoldenMotor.com

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
The chinese must have a dry sense of humor and plant problems with the engines and carbs just to see if we can figure it out. One of the guys had a new engine kit with the version 3 CNS carb. He couldn't get it to run right from the beginning and as soon as he gave it any throttle, the engine would bog and die. He placed a post looking for an NT carb as he was reading posts that the NT is a no nonsense carb that works when others do not. I replied and sent him a Speed Carb in exhange for his CNS. We did the deal and when I got it and tore it apart, it was unreal what I found. First of all, the main jet had no number on it(as most of them do not from the factory) but the hole was so small, I couldn't even get my smallest microbit to go through. The jet was real long and didn't even seat correctly. I replaced it with a #70 jet.
The carb comes with a brass plug covering the air fuel mixture screw so you can not adjust it. This must be a mandate from the EPA to make the carb unadjustable. I drilled a small hole in the cap and took a pick and removed the cap only to find out that the air/fuel mixture screw was turned the whole way in tight against the seat. The literature on these carbs say they are adjusted 1 to 1 1/4 turns and sealed. So I adjusted the screw to 1 1/4 turns out from the seat.
The brass slide pin has only one slot on it and I was concerned that the lack of adjustment would be a problem for mid range so I took a pin out of one of my other CNS carbs but the size and taper was totally different. I put the original back in, mounted the carb and took the bike for a test run not knowing what to expect. The 66cc engine, to my surprise, ran great right off the bat with no bogging, four stroking and had super throttle response.
In case any of you had one of these CNS V-3 carbs and were having problems, I thought I would post my experience in hopes that this will help.
As I said earlier, I can just see this little chinese guy laughing when he put this carb together, thinking to himself, lets see if "American" can figure out. Hope this helps anyone out there with the V-3. The CNS has gotten a bad rap out there but as we start to understand them through others experiences, I think they will not be so hammered.

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
I like to understand whats going on and why. Not too much trouble for me and if someone gets their bike going by reading this without buying another carb, I'm fine with it. Not saying another V-3 carb out there will have the same problem, but its possible.

beserkr

Mar 3, 2012
Mesa Az
I've had two grubee engines with that crap v3 carb. The first was a 48cc, i drilled the main jet to a 70 then 68 gauge. Never could get wot to run right. Threw a nt carb on it and it ran perfect! Next was a 66cc i built yesterday for a customer. The thing mount idle at all with out adjusting the cable tight, the idle speed screw was tightened all the way and idle mixture screw was messed with too and it still wouldn't idle. Power was lacking big time throughout the power band. Wot just sucked couldn't get out of its own way! I did notice when i forgot to turn on the gas i found out that right before it runs out for about ten seconds the bike pulled hard! Almost like a 80cc dirt bike, it even lifted the front wheel off the ground about three inches first time it did it it caught me off guard, good thing i was leaning forward or i would have fallen off!
Well any body get one of these things running good? I doubt drilling the jet on this one would help it didn't work on the 48cc one so i doubt that would help here.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
why does the chinese guy have to be little, and why would he say "lets see if "American" can figure it out?"
I suppose when the chinese vote, you say that they're having an erection.
what are you implying?

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I've had two grubee engines with that crap v3 carb. The first was a 48cc, i drilled the main jet to a 70 then 68 gauge. Never could get wot to run right. Threw a nt carb on it and it ran perfect! Next was a 66cc i built yesterday for a customer. The thing mount idle at all with out adjusting the cable tight, the idle speed screw was tightened all the way and idle mixture screw was messed with too and it still wouldn't idle. Power was lacking big time throughout the power band. Wot just sucked couldn't get out of its own way! I did notice when i forgot to turn on the gas i found out that right before it runs out for about ten seconds the bike pulled hard! Almost like a 80cc dirt bike, it even lifted the front wheel off the ground about three inches first time it did it it caught me off guard, good thing i was leaning forward or i would have fallen off!
Well any body get one of these things running good? I doubt drilling the jet on this one would help it didn't work on the 48cc one so i doubt that would help here.
How did you drill it backwards in size? you say that you first drilled it out to 70, and then to 68. 68 is smaller than 70.
unless you soldered it closed after you drilled the 70 hole, and then re-drilled it to 68.
the reason why it gained power when you forgot to turn the gas on is because you leaned it out. a lean air-fuel mix will always make more power than a rich air-fuel mix. lean air-fuel mix will give you a w.o.t. bog sometimes too.
so let me see...this thing took off so hard, that it pulled the front tire off the ground 3 inches while already moving AND you were leaning forward?
hmmm, I don't think that's possible unless you strap about 100 pounds of weight over the rear wheel.

I find it to hard to beleive that so many people have to lean out their air-fuel ratio by going to a smaller than stock jet to make it run right.
i had to do the opposite and richen both of my carbs (n.t.'s) by going with a 72 jet in one, and a 74 jet in the other. the 70 was way too lean for my engines.

The stock jet size (n.t. carb) is around a 70.
i know, you're talking about the cns v3 carbs and not n.t.'s.
I personally like the n.t. carbs because they are simple to tune, they are reliable and they give pretty decent power for what they are.
all i've ever heard about any of the cns carbs is how much of a headache they'll give you when you are trying to get them to run right.

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
number drills are backwards,the higher the number,the smaller the hole.
thoght i would mention that.
my recent purchase of a 48 cc skyhawk had a different version of carb,no idle setscrew,period.only one adjustment- the idle speed screw.
i have been wrestling with this since i got it,if i could get it to not four stroke for thirty seconds i would be thrilled.
tempted to try building a dial-a-jet to make the mid range to wide open tuneable.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I misunderstood you then.
the way it's written is that you went from a 70 hole (assuming jet size 70) to a 68 hole (assuming jet size 68).