Indianapolis

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
OK so I am interviewing for a job within my company for a transfer to N. Indy, I dont know squat about this place besides from the internet. Im just looking for some feedback from any members who might live there..Mainly a Good area to live (I have 2 small kids)

Cheers

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I grew up there- in an area that changed more than any other place in the state.

there's lots of suburbs there. I would try to be fairly close to work- the traffic's gotten really bad, especially on the north side around Castleton.

I'm not sure how the bikes go over there, but lots of cyclists- try the Monon Trail that goes north from town, if biking. I'd probably live in bohemian Broad Ripple if I moved back and could affordit- but I'm a single old geezer.

PS- they used to make bicycle chains there- when I began riding for the Speedway wheelmen in 1971, we were sponsored by Diamond Chain.

Samson say "Bah!"

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
My sister lived on Brownsburg for many years and I visited her there a few times . It seemed to me a very nice place to live . And she enjoyed it . It is a rural suburb of Indy .Northwest of the city .

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I liked Cleveland Ohio more, though Indy hasn't been entirely unkind. I have a great job at the CCB, and the deputies and IMPD officers always looked after my bike for me when I had it chained on the rack out front. I never had any trouble from the boys in blue here (but it was always in the best interest of keeping my job that I obey the rules).

But, while Broad Ripple has appeal and the canal is pretty cool, I really do pine for Ohio. If I could move my job there I would. If you move here, take it from a man with a career in law enforcement: research the area! Like with most major cities, Indy has some bad parts. And we've been trying to keep up with a rather recent rise in crime that is taxing manpower and resources. Know your area, or find a trusted local who does, before you move. This would be sound advice wherever you go, of course, but since you asked...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I grew up there- in an area that changed more than any other place in the state.

there's lots of suburbs there. I would try to be fairly close to work- the traffic's gotten really bad, especially on the north side around Castleton.

I'm not sure how the bikes go over there, but lots of cyclists- try the Monon Trail that goes north from town, if biking. I'd probably live in bohemian Broad Ripple if I moved back and could affordit- but I'm a single old geezer.

PS- they used to make bicycle chains there- when I began riding for the Speedway wheelmen in 1971, we were sponsored by Diamond Chain.

Samson say "Bah!"
Hey Kat, wasn't sure if you knew: Diamond Chain is still here, still putting out. It's on the far side of West, South, & Kentucky. Is that where it always was? When I was hit by the truck, I landed at the mouth of their driveway.