Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I rode the Critical Mass ride in Dallas last night on my eBike. I think the threat of rain kept the numbers down a little, only about 150 bicycles showed up. There was one other eBike there besides mine.

What's interesting is at the Main Street Garden park where the ride starts downtown, the city of Dallas operates a small convenience store that sells beer to the riders. In all the other city parks around town it's against the law to drink alcohol. Ain't it great?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So the Critical Mass guys are cool with E-bikes?
The short answer is yes. So far I've been to about 4, or 5 CM rides, and never had a problem. On occasion there's been as many as four eBikes at one time. A lot of people are always curious about our bikes so I spend a lot of time answering questions. I've also attended some other bicycle riding events around town without issues. I see some of the same people at these other rides, and they recognize me now, and are always friendly to me.

When I ride with bicycles I never show off, and always just blend into the crowd. Once the ride starts no one seems to notice, and there's good reasons for that. I always pedal. My bike is silent, and riding at their normal speeds, no one can really tell if I'm using power or not. On one ride someone actually ask me when I use the motor. He was surprised when I told him I had been using it the whole time. We had already been riding about 8 miles at the time.

If I was acting like an ass I'm sure it would be a different story, but that pretty much applies to everyone else too.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Only 150 people. There were tons of peeps yesterday, even with the bad weather forecast. Any chance you took a pic of the Optibike?
I took this picture of his bike a few months ago on a night we went bar hopping together. On this occasion he had his axillary battery attached.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So the Critical Mass guys are cool with E-bikes?
The short answer is yes. So far I've been to about 4, or 5 CM rides, and never had a problem. On occasion there's been as many as four eBikes at one time. A lot of people are always curious about our bikes so I spend a lot of time answering questions. I've also attended some other bicycle riding events around town without issues. I see some of the same people at these other rides, and they recognize me now, and are always friendly to me.

When I ride with bicycles I never show off, and always just blend into the crowd. Once the ride starts no one seems to notice, and there's good reasons for that. I always pedal. My bike is silent, and riding at their normal speeds, no one can really tell if I'm using power or not. On one ride someone actually ask me when I use the motor. He was surprised when I told him I had been using it the whole time. We had already been riding about 8 miles at the time.

If I was acting like an ass I'm sure it would be a different story, but that pretty much applies to everyone else too.
Happycheapskate told me he rode his gas bike to a CM ride once, and a lot of people gave him the shizz.

MikeSSS

May 15, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Hi,

Mike here in NW San Antonio, the ride is a Trek 27sp mtn bike, Straton friction drive with Subaru Robin 33.5cc.

Only 27 miles so far but the bike has worked perfectly. I cruise at 14 to 18 mph and pedal assist on climbs. Got 138 mpg on the first fill, I'm very pleased with this setup.

Let's ride!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hi,

Mike here in NW San Antonio, the ride is a Trek 27sp mtn bike, Straton friction drive with Subaru Robin 33.5cc.

Only 27 miles so far but the bike has worked perfectly. I cruise at 14 to 18 mph and pedal assist on climbs. Got 138 mpg on the first fill, I'm very pleased with this setup.

Let's ride!
Welcome to the forum Mike. I'm sure you're going to find riding a motor bicycle in Texas a pleasant experience. Keep us posted about your experiences.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Tonight I was riding home from school about 11:30. As I was riding along on Spring Valley I rode up on a pick up truck, and what do I see in the back? A china girl, big as life. I was able to briefly talk to the ppl at the next light, and told them about the forum, and to try to find us, and contact me. I hope they make it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In the last 30 days I've seen 3 motor bicycles at large. One was a china girl strapped in the back of a pick up truck. I was riding my eBike at the time, and talked to the owner at a light, and found out the bike was just purchased and on it's way to it's new home in Carrollton.

Also in the last week, on the same night in different parts of town I chanced upon 2 eBikes riding on the streets. One of the eBikes I stopped and chatted with the owner, and found out he lives close to my neighborhood. The other bike got away before I knew what it was. Then unexpectedly I was contacted my pm on this forum by a eBike rider asking if I was the rider he saw the night before in Richardson. When he mentioned where he saw me I knew he was on the bike I saw that got away. Interesting no?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Ah yes. I told the dude that PM'ed you to check you out on this forum.

Thanks snellemin, I appreciate you helping him find me. It turns out when we crossed paths, he was on his way to work, and I was on my way home from my Kung Fu school. I remembered seeing him as I rode by, but I thought he was just riding a bicycle. If I know he was riding an eBike I would have turned around and when after him.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The other night I rode through a radar trap on my electric bicycle going 33 mph. I was pedaling at the time. Nothing happened.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I rode my eBike to the Halloween Critical Mass ride last night in downtown Dallas. 41 miles round trip from my house. It was one of the best ever.