plastic piston rings, carry a spare

GoldenMotor.com

alvelez61

Jul 3, 2012
bronx ny
i purchased a new motor, the motor came in sections basically, well when i installed the piston and positioned the cylinder and started tapping i cracked one of the rings, talk about having to wait... any how i ordered a set for under 5 bucks, so at least now i will have a spare

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
slip new rings in jug and make sure they fit before installing on piston.
align rings over ring guide pin and fit a hose clamp over to compress rings.clamp doesent need to be too tight,so jug will push clamp down.

the plastic ones never last.dont use em.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
i purchased a new motor, the motor came in sections basically, well when i installed the piston and positioned the cylinder and started tapping i cracked one of the rings, talk about having to wait... any how i ordered a set for under 5 bucks, so at least now i will have a spare
So who was the vendor that sold the kit? What did they have to say about it not being assembled and plastic rings breaking? Seems like to me it would take more space and larger packaging to ship it not assembled. I'm not sure but I think the rings have to match the manufacturer of the kit I could be wrong. Just curious are you planning to ride that in the Bronx?.flg.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
When installing rings, first fit into the cylinder as mentioned. Second I remove the cylinder from the engine, remove the piston, place cylinder bottom side up on a bench and insert the piston. I squeeze the rings with my fingers and tap the piston in. The bottom of the cylinder is beveled and the piston slides right in, without breaking. You need to make sure the rings are installed on the piston correctly or the piston pins can cause you trouble.

alvelez61

Jul 3, 2012
bronx ny
hey george,
the engine is fine, other than the assembly of the piston, the instructions were pretty good, you would have to have some type of mechanical abililty.. the parts were very clean and well painted.. i checked everything out, nothing seems to be missing, i won a bid for 101.00 dollars, and 17.00 shipping.the vendor is flamencomann. i live in the bronx, but i have a mobile home upstate ny, i dont know if you can ride it in the bronx yet. thank george