• Lifan 2.5hp - 2.8 hp w/ SBP shift kit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hf 79cc or 99cc w/ SBP shift kit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
Fortress of Solitude, Florida
Hello to all, this is my first build. I've been perusing this site for a decent bit of time trying to soak up all the info i can but now its time to start asking questions and piecing together this build.

I have 3 Main routes that i'm weighing and could use a hand pointing out the weak spots in and of them.

**The Objective** - Have a bike that can shift or is automatic and can cruise in the 40's (without redlining) and if necessary hit 50 or a tad over. I am aware this is faster then i'll need to go 98% of the time on it, but i want that optional speed range just incase i need to be able to get out of my own way. Florida has flat roads that can change speed pretty abruptly and i'd like to be able to keep up for the most part or atleast till i could find an exit. Oh and The total cost Needs to be kept in the 6's or so if possible.. The Lower the final cost the more succesful the build

Options (these arent in preferred order)

A. Lifan / Motovox 2.5hp - 2.8hp, 79cc Ohv - 97cc flat top (97.7cc) + Shift kit - $310-$330

B. Harbor freight aka Hf 79cc or 99cc 3hp + SBP Shift kit. vertically mounted
$270

C. Lifan / Loncin 110cc Fully automatic at $230 with all components

**Now For My questions for each**
--

A. Is there any way for me to attach this motor directly from the clutch to the SBP supplied jackshaft in thier shift kit without an additional agk or equivalent jackshaft?

B. Same Question as #A but in regards to the HF motors. Also how wide is this motor completed I've heard as much as 12 inches, seems excessive

C. is there any way to make this motor sit more upright and its 11 inches wide is that too much?

General Questions -

1.Is there some kind of hub or sprocket with solid left side attachtment place for cheap (in case i go 110cc)? i dont want to use the spoke sandwhich dealio

2. whats the best/most affordable brake set upgrade that i can do

3. are titanium Frame bikes better for Motorizing, they look thinner but obviously with titanium metal i dont believe that equates to light duty.

4. if i used Lifan / loncin 110cc does anyone know an easy way to mount it (like a premade bracket) would i need to take it to my welder/ exhaust guy and are there any additional challenges? so far it seems to be the most economical / future proof option

Thanks in advance for all the help .shft.

P.s I'm mechanically inclined

Last edited:

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
I use a 79cc with agk jackshaft for occasional transportation to work and back. My top speed is 41mph which is limited by valve float. I have several more miles per hour available to me if I were to upgrade my valve springs. I actually find that I need to use a bit less than wide open throttle to keep from floating the valves. It's a simple setup that is very effective.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
With the speeds you want, the Lorcin style engine is probably the best bet overall despite the mounting challenges. These engines are available with manual multi-speed gearboxes for easy 50mph potential. Your other choices would be far more stressed to run legit 50mph speeds and would not be anywhere near as dependable as the Lorcin Honda clone doing it.
They are also fully aftermarket supported for hop up and replacement parts.
There is even a version available with a set of pedals and crank built right into the motor.
You will need fabrication and welding to fit a Lorcin into a bike, but it is worth the effort if you truly want dependable and 50mph in the same bike.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No motorcycle option in poll? Should be one considering the speeds you want to run and the laws in the state you live in.
Well said. Not going to be classed as a bicycle with any 50mph engine setup.
But motorcycles are easy. Be different!

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
To PAracer - I feel like thats not too bad and probably satisfactory. i wonder about the fuel efficiency and longevity of that though. In other regions of FL where friends and fam are theres alot of long open stretches I'm talking miles of driving in a straight line almost without a soul

to ajoh- I have been all over that build its sweet i had to make sure i double saved it just for how clever it was and a numerous amount of others , i like the Hf size mainly the width is of concern atleast in comparsion to the lifan 97.7/ 79

to maniac57-With the speeds you want, the Lorcin style engine is probably the best bet overall despite the mounting challenges. These engines are available with manual multi-speed gearboxes for easy 50mph potential. Your other choices would be far more stressed to run legit 50mph speeds and would not be anywhere near as dependable as the Lorcin Honda clone doing it.
They are also fully aftermarket supported for hop up and replacement parts.
There is even a version available with a set of pedals and crank built right into the motor.
You will need fabrication and welding to fit a Lorcin into a bike, but it is worth the effort if you truly want dependable and 50mph in the same bike.[/QUOTE]

I am feeling that this may be the ideal route and i like several aspects about them, to finish though

-i've heard about this pedal/lifan and am very intrigued . Gonna do some thorough followup searching
- i want something fully automatic and alot of them were built from the factory this way and will naturally be more reliable / serviceable
-also your more likely to get cited if your using a clutch to shift especially a pedal shifter so i cant go that route
-they make a handlebar assembly for next to nothing thats plug and go with the engines wiring harness giving you more options then normal such as blinkers , tail light , head light hi/lo , throttle , brake etc for aboot 15-25 dollars

I am however curious what the minimum displacement lifan/loncin would get me there. i'd do a 50cc or more pedal/loncin setup if the engine was performance moddable though. Is there even that much of a difference in the different cc sizes . i could have sworn i saw a picture online of all the models side by side looking virtually the same minus the head size difference.
I am also thinking about pickin up a craigslist stretched cruiser since i'll have saved so much money on its straightforwardness. I.e the Complete Drivetrain (230) , complete package handlebar assembly (15-20) and everything else is easy to complete.

p.s great community on here

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Lifan's clone is fully compatible with it's Honda XR50, XR50R, XR70, CRF50, CRF50F, CRF70 equivalents as it is a direct copy - any other makes or displacements may or may not share enough similarities for such full interchangeability, including the "pedal clone" variant.

As it is found in some of the most popular small displacement four stroke recreational vehicles, it's selection of aftermarket parts & potential for upgrades is far too large to easily discuss, try seeking "pitbike" "monkeybike" & "preformance CRF50 parts" to sample the selection :)

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
Here's another choice I would suggest you look into: the 212 predator/CVT combo. [/url]
that thing doesnt even look kinda innocent hahaha. seriously badass but I really want something slimmer though and if it was to be the same width i'm aiming for it to not be a majoritive portion like that bike

No motorcycle option in poll? Should be one considering the speeds you want to run and the laws in the state you live in.
To The_Aleman- Its not being considered but allow me to expound on my intentions.
-where i live speed limits 35 almost everywhere, but you will need to be able to accelerate to 35-45 in straights reliably ( traffic slows to 35 and under on twist)
-plus Leo gives almost all vehicles a 7 mph gimme. so really i can do 37 with no harm no foul all day. its not a law but lets be foreal.
- i also did not want to travel at 50mph, i want the 43-53 to be where there captains getting all he can get
-Also i stated in the post before that i am not always in densely populated areas but instead in areas that are stretched out and unpopulated ( think long straight roads alot of trees to your left and right and grass on the shoulders xct2
-if less CC's will get it done then i'm all for it and will be doing some followup searches on the 50 ,70, 90 potential but i figured if they all cost the same and are all almost the same size then why not go bigger and leave it unmodified such as governor removal, intake , carbs , exhaust, port matching, etc.

Well said. Not going to be classed as a bicycle with any 50mph engine setup.
But motorcycles are easy. Be different!
I Heartily agree

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
Lifan's clone is fully compatible with it's Honda XR50, XR50R, XR70, CRF50, CRF50F, CRF70 equivalents as it is a direct copy - any other makes or displacements may or may not share enough similarities for such full interchangeability, including the "pedal clone" variant.

As it is found in some of the most popular small displacement four stroke recreational vehicles, it's selection of aftermarket parts & potential for upgrades is far too large to easily discuss, try seeking "pitbike" "monkeybike" & "preformance CRF50 parts" to sample the selection :)
Thank you thats extremely important to know and definitely just changed the game

Are all the engine codes for the clones the same or are certain 50cc-70cc lifan/loncin models better then other 50cc-70cc lifan/loncin models. Like in the case of the Lifan 97.7 flats vs 97.7 (actually 79cc) OHV's ?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The clone game can be very confusing, so many are so close - but not quite the same, including other products by Lifan. It's not possible to say by brand which is quality or even interchangeable with another, it is at best limited to very specific engine models & their direct equivalents.

For example Lifan makes many small displacement engines, varying in quality from excellent (such as the CRF clone) to shoddy knock-offs (such as their utility motor clones) - so brand alone isn't much to go on I'm afraid.

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
Do you know any that are specifically interchangeable with the previously mentioned models. i'm gonna get googling. I ask all this because i want to order off for everthing tomorrow

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Aside from the Lifan/CFR50? No, that's a tangled web of confusion & exception I've not the wherewithal to untangle. Without having direct, first-hand experience it's a guessing game - the manufacturers loath to provide such information pertaining to the easily availability of a competitor it's almost impossible to verify beforehand, advertisers will say anything they please lol ;)

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I just hope you're in a cool place to ride. Some locations in Florida can be very strict on riders. You should look up Florida's moped laws. If you aren't in a cool location.

Da Pedal

Apr 9, 2014
Ive virtually finalized my decision, and i think i'm going with the 70cc loncin automatic, more then enough power and great part support.

Now i'm looking for inexpensive options for a roller big enough to fit it, might have to cut

Last edited: