Fricton Drive for Fat Bike Ideas Please

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My biggest concern would be tire wear. Those 4'' tires ain't cheap!
I think I'd try to go with a chain drive rack mount instead....or an electric hub motor like Paul suggested.

Just my opinion.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I drove/rode around a friction drive down in the Florida Keys for a while. If you plan on riding it off road, the Florida keys coral/marl will take its toll on the roller and make it wear down sooner than it normally would. Just a heads up. I'm building a shifter/scooterguy now.

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Contact Staton Inc and ask them if they can make you a unit that will fit the bike. All you really need is a channel that will fit over the tire.

Can you put a smaller tire on it? If your going off road a friction drive isn't the best choice. I would go with a rack mount chain drive for off road or an electric set up.

BigPineJV

Mar 2, 2014
Big Pine Key Fl & WNY
it will take a bit more than just a wider channel - the shafts will need to be longer - the mounting bracket wider !!! I don't plan on a lot of off roading but I will hit some gravel roads between paved roads - I am not interested in tons of speed, but would like to see 15+ MPH --- I am not super mechanically inclined Thus the Friction System - I really want it to just assist my exercise program helping me get home against the wind or assist on long up grade climbs - I am a 250lb old guy lol pushing 60 -- pounding against the wind is not my idea of fun anymore :)
I was considering the Bumble Bee Bolt on (that I am fairly sure will work) but I don't think it has the power I require at only 24cc..
I wrote Staton an email hopefully they can solve my problem!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Have you considered a smaller tire?

I'm 6-2. 225 lbs and ride around on 26 x 1.95's.

How about a 3 inch tire?

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
it will take a bit more than just a wider channel - the shafts will need to be longer - the mounting bracket wider !!! I don't plan on a lot of off roading but I will hit some gravel roads between paved roads - I am not interested in tons of speed, but would like to see 15+ MPH --- I am not super mechanically inclined Thus the Friction System - I really want it to just assist my exercise program helping me get home against the wind or assist on long up grade climbs - I am a 250lb old guy lol pushing 60 -- pounding against the wind is not my idea of fun anymore :)
I was considering the Bumble Bee Bolt on (that I am fairly sure will work) but I don't think it has the power I require at only 24cc..
I wrote Staton an email hopefully they can solve my problem!
Good point about the mounting bracket. Now you know why I went with a friction drive. My mechanical skills are pretty poor.

The smaller the drive shaft the more torque but you sacrifice top end speed. When I started I weighed 300+ and the Mitsu clone would pull me at over 20 MPH on flat ground. I weight considerably less then that now. The .910 roller is installed on my bike. It will easily pull you at 15 mph, no problem. I would consider a smaller tire. Would save the cost of a custom bracket and channel.