Gas/Electric series hybrid

GoldenMotor.com

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
This is a test bike that I put together:

Bike: eGo electric scooter. 24v, 23mph electric scooter.

Generator: Coleman Ultimite, 1100w, has 24vdc, 45amp output capability

The concept is simple. The generator can be used to extend the range and/or power the scooter when the batteries are run down. It will also recharge the batteries.

The build: The build was simple. I bolted the generator to the rack of the eGo. I made an adapter cable with an Anderson connector on the generator end and eyelets on the scooter end. The cable runs from the generator battery charge port to the scooter batteries.

The test: I took off from Los Osos with a low state of charge. I made it about 2 miles before the controller went into low voltage cutout. I fired up the generator and rode the remaining 8 miles into San Luis Obispo. The generator was able to keep the bike going at top speed the entire trip. When I reached SLO, I cut the generator and now had enough battery juice to travel another mile or so without running the generator. I restarted the generator to make the trip back to Los Osos. The generator ran out of gas about 1 mile before I reached my house but there was now plenty of battery charge to make it home.

The results: When using the generator, without adding any plug in charge time, the bike gets about 80mpg. The 1 quart generator fuel tank gets me about 20 extra miles. The bike is fine to ride under generator power when going full speed down the road. Unfortunately, the little 2 stroke engine is noisy when running full speed. And it runs full speed all the time. It is very annoying when you come to a stop light and the engine is still blaring at full speed. The generator has no manual throttle setting. It is an automatic servo driven throttle. I got in the habit of killing the generator when riding in stop and go traffic and then restarting the generator when I hit the open road.

Conclusion: Except for the obnoxious noise, the setup works fine. Even the noise would not be so bad if there was a way to throttle the engine back to idle when driving at low speeds or at stops. An electric start would be nice. The generator can extend the range of the electric scooter. Now you just have to carry enough gas. As it is, the hybrid generator works great as an emergency “get home” device. I would not want to use it on a regular basis. If that were the case, I would use a gas bike.

The Ultimite generator just happened to be a perfect match for the 24v eGo scooter. These generators were made in the early 2000’s. Most had the 12vdc/24vdc switch. Some did not. That fact that they can put out 24vdc at 45amps is unusual for a small generator. I wish there were a similar one with 48vdc or 72vdc output. If I were designing a purpose built hybrid generator it would be as follows: quiet 4 stroke, permanent magnet generator. The pm generator could also act as an automatic starter for the engine. For now, I prefer to have two bikes, a purpose built gas bike and a purpose built electric bike.

Attachments

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Wonder if Coleman still makes the generator w/the 12/24 output,I got a scooter
I believe it's under the subaru name now (or was). (yeah the car company)

However, it's a misnomer that it's putting out up to 45a... Just because it's a 1000w generator, that's the out put in terms of AC voltage... You can't just divide the wattage by 12 or 24 and say that's the amps it produces in DC current..

I bet if you put an ammeter on it when running DC, you'll find you're getting somewhere around the 9 or 10 amp range...

Test it out and let me know your findings.
From my own tests (about a year or two ago) I think I was only getting about 8.3 amps out of a 900w generator. (unfortunately, I don't have a usable generator to test as of now).

Last edited:

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I believe it's under the subaru name now (or was). (yeah the car company)

However, it's a misnomer that it's putting out up to 45a... Just because it's a 1000w generator, that's the out put in terms of AC voltage... You can't just divide the wattage by 12 or 24 and say that's the amps it produces in DC current..

I bet if you put an ammeter on it when running DC, you'll find you're getting somewhere around the 9 or 10 amp range...

Test it out and let me know your findings.
From my own tests (about a year or two ago) I think I was only getting about 8.3 amps out of a 900w generator. (unfortunately, I don't have a usable generator to test as of now).
The manufacturers specs says 45amps at 24v or 90amps at 12v. It came with 6ga jumper cables that can be used to jump start a car. Unlike most small generators, this one puts out full power at either setting. When running this generator in DC mode, the AC output is disabled. The proof is that even with dead batteries, the generator can easily keep the bike moving at full speed (23mph). It takes about 30amps to do that. And it can climb hills even with dead batteries and that takes even more current. I believe that it is an inverter/generator.

They don't make them anymore. Subaru also sold them at one time. It has a Subaru/Robin engine. I see them on eBay and Craigslist. Look for the Ultimite 12/24v version. Some are only 12v.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I've had a few ideas in the past about doing something like this striping out that nasty A/C generator and replacing with permanent magnet part and or utilizing a diode rectifier to convert to DC.

With that said and done i finally picked up two 4 Stroke 80cc 1500watt A/c generators to experiment with my brushed Frnt wheel hub motor and a array of big honking capacitors for speed bursts and a custom DIY speed controller for true series parallel hybrid cycling.

several out comes can come from this experiment

1. I screw one generator up along with my controller and will be left with a 80cc 4 stroke engine to rox on my bike.
2. I electrocute myself and or loose the family jewels no pun intended.
3. Get a wicked stable setup that would have to much juice mandating me purchasing a beefier hub motor and or dual hub motor config for x2 wheel drive.