Starting to look like something

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I've been missing out!

Aside from riding in a couple parades I really hadn't ridden the bike much. The wife was away this past weekend and I decided to fire it up and run all my errands around town on the bike. I wasn't really prepared for the amount of attention it draws and it will probably get old after a while.

After riding in the July 4th parade earlier this year, I decided that my standard answer to the question that gets shouted out all the time (what year is that?) would be simply "14". I figure 99% of the people asking can't spot it as a replica and from a moving bike, with an appropriately loud exhaust, a full explanation is difficult anyway.

So off I went to the grocery store, drug store, craft store to pick up odds and ends. Almost everywhere I went I had people follow me to where I parked or vehicles pulled alongside taking cell phone pics as I came out of the establishments. I even had an older Harley rider pull up beside at a light and ask, "thirties?" All were shocked and awed with my "14" answer.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped at a downtown pub and parked in an open space directly in front. I got lots of questions as soon as I walked in and a sport bike rider talked my ear off with questions and comments. Eventually he leaned a little closer and asked, "So tell me, is that thing a chick magnet?"

I told him it mostly attracts older guys in pickups but some of them do have wives.

.trk

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Wret, Have the same response with my bike as well. I quit taking it to places of business and primarily ride in the countryside, just about 1/2 mile from my house. Get lots of thumbs up from folks and the Harley crowd. Same thing with the old p/u truck. Only go to get gas early, early in the morning. It's not a show truck, but still gets attention. When I get the shopper back on the road it will be interesting to see that response. Enjoy being the "Rock Star" you are.

Dan

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Wret I agree a great looking bike just gets noticed, sorry about the guys though. Are you building or have anything on the drawing board? Rick C.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Currently changing gears (no pun intended) and building a old-fashioned plywood speedboat from scratch. Just a small runabout. Normally it would get a small outboard but my mind is turning over how to get Harbor Freight's new Predator V-twin in there as in board. Lot's of fun with shaft angles, gear boxes, etc. Maybe the good thing I don't know the box so I'm always outside it.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Added my firs "faux" item

Unless you consider rust colored paint, I hadn't put added any faux items to my bike, but I kept seeing this little air pump in my junk drawer and couldn't resist. I know, the rusted/patina-ed look is at odds with the shiny bits but one day it will probably all look old.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Wret you know I dig your bike and the brass just adds a little polish...really looks great. How's the little speedboat coming along? Rick C.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Thanks Rick. The boat? It was a little too simple so I made it complicated. I decided reverse gear was essential for a novice boater so I threw in a v-drive configuration with a go-kart reverse gear box. This requires some shaft alignment, balance and machining that are a little beyond my capabilities. Here's one bit that I'm particularly proud of though: shaft splines cut on my table saw. Yes, it fit's :) A little bit of play but that may not be a bad thing. I only attempted this because I had a couple extra inches of shaft to play with and the machine shop said it was beyond their abilities. Bah!

Attachments

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I found this nifty spotlight on ebay

Can't remember what I was looking for when I came across this antique lamp. The shape is very close to early Indian electric headlights. I got it with no other bids for $39. Seemed pretty good as I checked and saw others going for hundreds of dollars. It came with a sealed beam lamp inside. Probably not original but it's a good fit, just needs a little support.

My original thought was to use the existing bottom mount and not modify anything. Now though I'm obsessed with giving it a more authentic look and I'll see if I can solder some mounting lugs on the sides.

Attachments

Reactions: PeteMcP

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Overcoming my initial reluctance to hack up an antique item, I riveted and soldered on some side lugs, cut off the doorknob, and supported the lamp with with epoxy putty. I still need to attack the bottom mount. I'll probably just chop it off flush with the housing. There's actually only a small hole on the inside.

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Awesome find but Ill trade you a brand new plastic Chinese made LED bike headlight even steven for that poor non working heavy old worn out light. Lol