Danica's Rookie Season a bust?

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The article at the link takes a lot of shots at Danica. I think the writer was expecting too much of Danica in the cup series. Any cup racer will tell you that it is very difficult to win.
-Any cup racer will also tell you its a team sport. The crew and driver must be completely in sync. It's not enough for both to be great. They must both be great and compatible.
-Perhaps the writer of the article is right to expect a racer with Danica's experience to do finish better than 27th in the points.
-To claim that Danica's participation in the Nascar cup series is merely a charade for marketing purposes is baseless. If all it took was good looks and charisma to get companies to sponsor your race team, we would see more Hooters Girls behind the wheel on the track. Danica has earned the right to compete in the Cup Series.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...ink-she-isn%27t-sprint-cup-read-111913#!ooSws

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Well said, bender. I, for one, support her all the way. Even though she's not my driver, I think she has just as much right to drive as anyone else in the series. I see so many people put her down. Saying she can't drive, blah, blah. I'd like to see THEM get out there and try it. I bet they couldn't even get out of the pit box.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
When I hear someone talk crap about her I always ask if they talk crap about the many drivers that always finish behind her that have been running NASCAR much longer than she has. I will say though that I think she should have stayed in Nationwide another couple years. Also anyone that talks crap about her must really talk crap about Montoya, now theres a real disappointment!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Danica has done just as well as any driver that goes from one series of racing to another.

My belief is the media and NASCAR kept her in the spot light so much and talked about her and built her up so much that people just got so sick of her.

Danica was and is not the first female stock driver, but she is the first to run with a caliber team with excellent equipment.

The one thing I have learned from stock racing...no matter how good you and your team and equipment is, their is no guarantee of any success.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
she takes top notch equipment and qualifies on average what? 30th? watch any race and she is usually lapped every 30-50Laps...seldom moves over when lapped ..her spotters must be asses too. will never win or contend really......dont let Daytona fool you where somehow she tested faster then the best teams in the world a month before the race and they never caught up (including her own team) for qualifying. I can teach a monkey how to drive daytona or talladega......thing is when it takes talent and skill...using hands and feet while thinking fast....she fails miserably.
She's a marketing tool and nothing more....kinda funny how they ignored she was married her first year there while cluttering up the nationwide series too....soon as she's divorcing though...she's sexy again.
She will never be a driver.....good place for her is where she came from....they dont miss her at all. Indy cars.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The problem she faced is what happens to most open wheel drivers, how to communicate to the crew chief what the car needs or what its doing. I will withhold my opinion till she gets at least two full seasons of cup racing. Indy cars are mostly computer controlled making the drivers job a lot different than a cup drivers job.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Name any rookie that's had as lousy a year ever? Then try naming one with her experiences and as good an opportunity, team wise etc.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Nice pic! Danica is still 4 slots ahead of Tony Stewart in points, but neither will make the chase unless they can win in the next few weeks.
There was talk of Danica driving for one of the Ganasi Formula 1 teams next year. May just be talk.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
F1 vs Nascar? No contest. F1 is a tedious procession most of the time with a points system that is a smack in the face for sponsors and teams outside the top 10. Then they wonder why they struggle to fill the grid.

Danica Patrick is a racer, playing the system as best she can to get the best drive she can. The only valid perspective on her career will be from a historical standpoint. Personally, I wish her well, the same as all other racers. She gets out there and puts her life on the line the same as everyone else, and she gets my respect for it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Danica has no children, so I can't imagine her turning down an opportunity to race all over the globe in Formula 1.
-On the other hand, she will have no difficulty getting a sponsor for her next Nascar season. Individual workers have not recovered from the recession in the US, but big corporations have.