so there i was

GoldenMotor.com

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
so there i was sitting at a red light...the light was not changing due to it being a magnetically triggered light...so i looked both ways and went.................next thing i knew ther were flashing blues behind me...so i moved over in the bike lane farther an kept riding...looking back about 2 blocks later i realized that i was getting pulled over....

the cop asked me a million questions about the bike...i just kept telling him it was less than 50cc...then 2 more cars showed up...one cop cuffed me and searched me...at this point i was trying to remember if i had any unpaid parking tickets....well they took off the cuffs and wrote me a 100dollar ticket and sent me on my way....

i was pissed...i walked my bike away using even the cross walks(residential neighbor hood) so the gestapo wouldnt get me again...i stopped down the bar for a cold one and to vent...when i got there i found 2 other pissed off bicyclist who just got 100 dollar tickets rolling residential stop signs...WTF

i know the cities are hurting for money but do they really need to rape us

my plan now is to find out how many stop lights are in town and how many are magnetically triggered...then some late night im gonna ride too these lights and call the police to come help me get through them....what im trying to do with this is have a dispatch record of lights not working for bikes...i can afford the ticket but principle is compelling me to bring this into court...

what do you guys think???

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
in the apartment I live in, they have these security pass and is also magnetically triggered that opens and closes the barricade. So I think it's just a matter of putting the bicycle in a right position. Before it did'nt work, but the guards told me which path to take so the sensors can detect the bicycle, and it now works fine.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
but do you think what i did was abnormal???not like it was a major light or anything...im in disbelief that this actually happened...i have been riding bikes the same way since i was old enough to leave the block...first time something like this happened

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
my former boss once told me, 'if all things fail, use your better judgement... ' so the cops have a responsibilty... they probably have better technology... so the best way to defeat an enemy is to make them an ally. I've seen some people that they could ask cops, and ask them nicely, and they could get away with it, sometimes... i think most of them would understand...

Your actions were understandable, but to the cops, it's unforgiveable... and they probably need some $$$...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Welcome to the wonderful world of budget justification o_O

Sorry you had to help pay for the new district coffeemaker, freakin' sux. At least you had other cyclists to commiserate with, that it wasn't just you targeted...

Mebbe the cops really want the expensive coffees meh

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In Ohio, if a traffic light is not working due to that kind of thing, we are to treat it as a four way stop and proceed with caution.
We are also (I do,since it happens with my motorcycles too) supoposed to report them as "non functioning signals".
Then, they send out workers on tax payer money to fix a light that "ain't broke" because when they check it, they use the work truck. Yes, I have seen it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I know that here in LA, you can tell which lights are mag triggered by looking down at the street; You can see where they made a large circle cut in the pavement & laid the sensor wire into it.

If your in doubt about running a stop light? Make a right turn go up a few yards & make a U turn, come back & make another right... That's totally legal!

Last edited:

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I find it insane that they did this case grab on you. Although I find it wrong, you did do something illegal, I would fight it if you think you are in the right I can't count haw many times one of my customers has gotton a ticket for a number of different reasons including doing 45km in a 40 km school zone, they get a ticket but with no plate or reg. on the bike the ticket is half filled out. I will tell you the same thing I( tell them fight it and watch the judge toss it out! But at the same time we do not all want to start finding ourselves in court and getting a bad name attached to these wonderful bikes , so we all need to use our heads and obey traffic laws.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i was told by a cop that here in california, if a light is broken or doesn't "sensor" you, you have to wait through three light cycles, and then proceed when safe.

when i used to work nights, there was one light where the left turn arrow magically stopped working about 2am. there also happened to be 4 or 5 bars within a 2 mile radius (Beach Blvd. and Westminster Ave., in case anyone's around here;))

cop's would hang out and bust people running that light, and odds were, they got DUI's.

i'd pull up in my work truck, totally sober, stop just long enough to make sure it was clear, then run it. after awhile, the cops stopped pulling me over. (this was also where i was told about the three light cycle law)

if i were you, i'd find out the law, and fight it.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
nice vid of using the cross walk button but you rode up on the sidewalk....ill probably lose when i bring this to court but oh well this is principle...its the first time ive been pulled over in this town and at least i can set the pressatence of being a pain in the ass...ive done this befor in other towns and after my first ticket all i got was warnings...and that idea of taking a right then turning around is technically an illegal left turn...may have been a cheaper ticket though

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
nice vid of using the cross walk button but you rode up on the sidewalk....ill probably lose when i bring this to court but oh well this is principle...its the first time ive been pulled over in this town and at least i can set the pressatence of being a pain in the ass...ive done this befor in other towns and after my first ticket all i got was warnings...and that idea of taking a right then turning around is technically an illegal left turn...may have been a cheaper ticket though
pull the clutch in when you go on the sidewalk, once the clutch is dissenaged your a bicycle and its 100 legal

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
but riding a bike on a sidewalk is illegal and i know that the city has been cracking down on that for years...fort collins is probably the most bike friendly town in the country...we have a 5% bicycle commuter rate...which is awsome...i think the city is trying to make up from the loss of auto revenue...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if i'm the only one at a light, i roll up on the sidewalk and push the button. i did it the other day right in front of a cop who was directly across from me, in the left turn lane.

he didn't even give me a second glance. if he thought about it, he probably would rather have me on the sidewalk for 10 seconds, instead of running a light.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
so there i was sitting at a red light...the light was not changing due to it being a magnetically triggered light...so i looked both ways and went.................next thing i knew ther were flashing blues behind me...so i moved over in the bike lane farther an kept riding...looking back about 2 blocks later i realized that i was getting pulled over....

the cop asked me a million questions about the bike...i just kept telling him it was less than 50cc...then 2 more cars showed up...one cop cuffed me and searched me...at this point i was trying to remember if i had any unpaid parking tickets....well they took off the cuffs and wrote me a 100dollar ticket and sent me on my way....

i was pissed...i walked my bike away using even the cross walks(residential neighbor hood) so the gestapo wouldnt get me again...i stopped down the bar for a cold one and to vent...when i got there i found 2 other pissed off bicyclist who just got 100 dollar tickets rolling residential stop signs...WTF

i know the cities are hurting for money but do they really need to rape us

my plan now is to find out how many stop lights are in town and how many are magnetically triggered...then some late night im gonna ride too these lights and call the police to come help me get through them....what im trying to do with this is have a dispatch record of lights not working for bikes...i can afford the ticket but principle is compelling me to bring this into court...

what do you guys think???
Don't feel too bad , because I just finished paying a $250.oo fine for Jay walking .At the time I received the ticket , I took the numbers from J-walking ticket and played them on the lottery immediately following the ticket. Well, guess what happened; the last for numbers on the lottery ticket were 8937 and the last numbers on the J-walking ticket were 893Z when I went to pay ticket I pointed this out and told them that their lottery is a fraud. They pretended that they did not even hear me however the people standing in line sure did. I thought that fraud was a federal offence. Those are not the only tickets I have that they messed with. I also have horse race names from 1964 that predict everything that happened up here. Now they keep the micro film at the library behind lock and key so they can get a good look at anyone that comes to look at them.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Don't feel too bad , because I just finished paying a $250.oo fine for Jay walking .At the time I received the ticket , I took the numbers from J-walking ticket and played them on the lottery immediately following the ticket. Well, guess what happened; the last for numbers on the lottery ticket were 8937 and the last numbers on the J-walking ticket were 893Z when I went to pay ticket I pointed this out and told them that their lottery is a fraud. They pretended that they did not even hear me however the people standing in line sure did. I thought that fraud was a federal offence. Those are not the only tickets I have that they messed with. I also have horse race names from 1964 that predict everything that happened up here. Now they keep the micro film at the library behind lock and key so they can get a good look at anyone that comes to look at them.
they owe me for every lottery i've ever played if only i could find some way to take that out of their hides.

Last edited:

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
250 for j walking....wow....sorry to hear this....im a hardened motorbiker now and you sound like a hardened pedestrian.... the cities are bankrupt and they are gonna rape us to pay thier debts

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
250 for j walking....wow....sorry to hear this....im a hardened motorbiker now and you sound like a hardened pedestrian.... the cities are bankrupt and they are gonna rape us to pay thier debts
I know but what about lotto ticket number 8937 and J-walking ticket -893Z; this is not the first time they know what the winning numbers will be and they are dictating what numbers will be on the ticket. thats big time fraud .who do they think they are?? Ive got a lot more than this. for 32 years i never knew anything;what about all the lotteries i played in those years; even when i won,they made sure i would loose . alot of that money i spent on tickets i worked very hard for. Its obvious that when i bought the ticket,they put the number on it through the computer system, and they knew i was purchasing that ticket at the exact second, and where i was purchasing it from . now u know where they're getting all their money.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
.shft.Today i met our head bylaw officer for Penticton--i told him i had a gas powered bicycle--he said our rules say if its 49cc and you have a drivers license you are doing the speed limit and you are not on the sidewalk then you are legal. No mention of signal lights or anything. We are 30,000 population.