Now for a serious ??

GoldenMotor.com

General Disarray

Mar 15, 2008
If I understand you need the MTB axle bolt. Go to the bike shop and see if they have one or go to the junk yard or scrap metal recycling yard and pull one off a dead bike. I have several in my garage that are just parts donors. If you like I could pull one for you.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
this is true and it maybe the way I go since I'm not having much luck with the whole shooting match. but the china bike taught me patience if nothing else.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Some things use funny threads that you can't find just anywhere. I know model airplane glow plugs are a thread that has only been used in that (glow plug) application since the second world war. It's not used on anything else but the plugs....go figure.

Now a little lesson here deacon- tell everybody how you know what thread things are.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Some things use funny threads that you can't find just anywhere. I know model airplane glow plugs are a thread that has only been used in that (glow plug) application since the second world war. It's not used on anything else but the plugs....go figure.

Now a little lesson here deacon- tell everybody how you know what thread things are.
Me personally I take them to the home depot and use their thread gauge. If I really worked a lot I would have one of my own. I guess you could count them since at least american threads are number per inch.

Realistically take it to home depot. They have gauges that are both male and female so you can match up nuts and bolts as well. However in the case of the mountain bike, it was stamped on the peg. It seems that in the american standard the most used sizes are 20 and 24 or even 32. Or as my dad used to call them coarse and fine threads the 24 being fine. I think most of what is found on bikes are fine threads. Most of what you buy over the counter to build with are coarse. However Home depot has both 20 and 24 readily available but no "26" Like joe said I would need to get and axle and cut it off. Not worth the effort I think. Still haven't decided on that one yet.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
With my tap and die set there is a little tool called a pitch guage that is what I use to measure the threads per inch or threads per mm if it metric and I have a metric tap and die set with the magic little pitch guage.
You can use a ruler to measure the threads per inch or threads per mm if it metric.
Did I answer the question correctly?:D
Now for a not so serious question. how fast is the speed of time?:confused:
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The speed of time is based on the speed of the earth as it travels through space. In theory the earth makes the complete circuit of the son in the same time every year. all other time is either a fraction derivative or a multiple of that time...

So the speed of time as we know it is the speed of the earth's movement around the sun. But hour does one express it MPH since MPH is a derivative of the movement of the earth it would be impossible to really use that but alas I digress. You get the picture.

It might not be true but it sounds good...

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
But if you take a bicycle motor and divide the rpms by 3.14159. add that to the speed of sound times .5 divided by the coeffeinct of linear expansion. You get the true speed of a motorized bicycle. Well plus or minus 5 mph allowing for wind velocity..................:D:D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Or just turn south and spit into the wind and measure the time it takes to come back around and base everything on that

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
screw it!rotfl I think I'll go play with some rattlesnakes see if they can go faster than the speed of time if I light their tails on fire.

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
With my tap and die set there is a little tool called a pitch guage that is what I use to measure the threads per inch or threads per mm if it metric and I have a metric tap and die set with the magic little pitch guage.
You can use a ruler to measure the threads per inch or threads per mm if it metric.
Did I answer the question correctly?:D
Now for a not so serious question. how fast is the speed of time?:confused:
Norman
Einstein said "everything is relative" therefore sitting on a hot stove for 60 seconds lasts as long a kissing a beautiful woman for 60 seconds Walter F.(c)

Just remember time ain't nothin' to a hog!!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am probably going to either use the clown bike for the weed eater bike or go looking for a new frame. Due to some problems I am having with the china girl bike, I am going for a much lighter weight frame.

The frame the china engine is on seems to be just a full sized steel frame. That plus the weight of the engine and the size of the rear wheel I had to put on. (I had to do that because the chain pull on the twenty inch wheel seemed to make two of them just crumble.) Those factors seem to made it almost impossible for me to get up enough speed to disengage the clutch successfully all of a sudden. Well that isn't completely true, i do fine on level ground. It is just that the slightest incline kicks my but and stalls the bike.

It might well be me but at this time I'm looking for solutions because I'm hoping to build these bikes for seniors. If I am having the problem others will be as well. I am testing the weed eater engine and drive system on a huffy that is full frame steel, but has the small chain ring and small rear wheel. When I had it working last week it did much better than the china bike.

So now for the serious ? .....

Would there be a downside to using a road bike frame with a coaster wheel on the rear. I know changing the crank and chain ring on the three speed wasn't any big deal I'm not sure if they are the same size on a road bike or not. Does anyone know. I guess I could hold out for another 3 speed. I converted the clown bike to a coaster no sweat.