Ca. Legal

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm pretty sure the scooter guys have CARB legal mopeds.

I KNOW Stihl has a whole product line-up based on CARB compliant 2 smokes.
...Looked at 'em two days ago...
Gosh would they be GREAT on a MAB !!! :)
Best
rc

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
No I'm not talking about a 600 fricking dollar money hole but the good ole under $200 kit. I already have fast and expensive toys but I really like to tinker..

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
No I'm not talking about a 600 fricking dollar money hole but the good ole under $200 kit. I already have fast and expensive toys but I really like to tinker..
Oh well excuse me captain money bags.

You already have expensive toys but like POS Chinese motors, you must be one of those unique millionaires that likes to take the bus instead of your Bentley. Right? laff

So a difference of $200 vs $600 = money pit that cant be "tinkered" with? This is all news to me.

Buddy if you cant find a $200 chinese engine kit using the same computer you typed out such insightful responses on, then I cant help you.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Is that one your "fast and expensive" toys in your Avitar?

What is that a Kawasaki next to a baby coffin?laff

Haha Im just giving a hard time.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
motovelo has the same kits as everyone else. there isn't a CARB compliant chinese two stroke. but, the only problem is getting them into california and getting them to you.

they're not illegal to own, ride, register, or sell in california, just to import them here (selling them is a grey area. it may be technically illegal, just not enforced, since most sellers are pretty small time compared any other engine retailer.)

you can also try piston bikes in simi valley, or venice bikes in, uh, venice.

both have ads on the sides of this forum.

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Motovelo says they have leagal kits on the way due in-house this month.
Have been unable so far to get a responce from Piston Bikes

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I dunno why it always seems agencies are working against us!
...worked on my 48cc skyhawk today, the cns is working, well, almost properly.
Now I got a rattle in the top end.
I don't think I can buy a replacement engine and have it shipped here to Kalifornia! Even though the vendor is also here in Kalifornia!
This is crazy.
rc

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
as i said, all kits are "legal" in california, it's importing them here that's the problem. i've never heard of a california specific engine. i doubt such an animal exists.

technically, though, any bicycle engine over 2hp is illegal here. that knocks out all the 66cc motors. i'm not sure what the 50cc's are, never had one.

when you register your bike, there's no inspection. you're basically signing a "statement of facts" and claiming you're compliant with the DMV regulations.

if any company claims they have a "california legal" engine, they better have documentation to back it up. if anyone makes an official complaint against them, it could be some big troubles...

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
as i said, all kits are "legal" in california, it's importing them here that's the problem. i've never heard of a california specific engine. i doubt such an animal exists.

technically, though, any bicycle engine over 2hp is illegal here. that knocks out all the 66cc motors. i'm not sure what the 50cc's are, never had one.

when you register your bike, there's no inspection. you're basically signing a "statement of facts" and claiming you're compliant with the DMV regulations.

if any company claims they have a "california legal" engine, they better have documentation to back it up. if anyone makes an official complaint against them, it could be some big troubles...

I downloaded the Ca DMV forms and guidelines today and want to make this as fun as poss. Not going to stress-out like cory151(by the way, my avaitar is a Ural Tourist not a Kawi with a baby coffin)
It's a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be rewarding and fun.
I'd really like to take a ride over and see the guys at Piston Bikes cause their only about 6 miles from me. Just need to have contact with them 1st.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow... must be fun to have a Ural !

...it's definitely the ez way, to get all the gubment docs in order...
the option is countless days spent on research, then in court, and they are STILL more powerful !

Gosh, if you are just a few miles away, I'd definitely visit and see what can be done over-the-counter!
rc

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Wow... must be fun to have a Ural !

...it's definitely the ez way, to get all the gubment docs in order...
the option is countless days spent on research, then in court, and they are STILL more powerful !

Gosh, if you are just a few miles away, I'd definitely visit and see what can be done over-the-counter!
rc
Ya, but keep your grubby hands off!!